Byrds Nyrds: Talk about anything Byrds related here (Part 04)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Mar 17, 2015.

1. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Terrible sound quality. Interesting artifact.

CCrider92 likes this.
  2. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

One more.

Michael rocking the handclaps.

CCrider92 and Paperback Writer like this.
  3. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

4. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I’m a first generation Byrds’ fan, my very first rock single was Tambourine Man and I was 14, I bought all their albums upon release, and as the group evolved I just went along for the ride. Plus Gene released albums in 1967, 68 and 69 ; Chris and Gram (FBB) in 1969, 1970; David (CSN+Y) in 1969 and 1970, and on and on as the family tree developed. It was terribly exciting for me to follow along all these trips at the time. I enjoyed all the Roger only configurations although I no longer listen to the final two albums. And I love the 73 reunion, just happy to hear and see those guys back together again.

5. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

This Family Tree is all on youtube. Nothing all that exciting though.

6. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

The only reason I'd have liked a name change is so the group could have been recognized for their own talents instead of not being Byrds-y enough. But at the same time I'm more than happy to have their entire catalogue to enjoy. Just an incredible amount of talent went through one group in 6 years, its absolutely astonishing.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If they'd changed the name York might have stayed in the band longer, since part of the reason he quit was feeling self-conscious about pretending to be "a Byrd" and playing hits he had nothing to do with. And since I'm not at all a Battin fan, I think having York stay in the band longer would have resulted in notably better albums.

On the flipside, the Byrds name definitely opened doors for them. The 1969-70 Byrds typically played much bigger venues than the Burritos did, and I'm sure the Byrds name was the reason why.

8. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

For sure. And that is another reason I'm happy they kept the name.

9. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

There is a lot to like in the 1973 reunion album after one gets past thinking it should be the follow up to Younger Than Yesterday. As a semi country rock album, with a couple Crosby songs in there, it works. Plus, Gene is great on every track. I rarely like Neil Young covers, but Gene’s versions are fantastic. Who else (other than Neil) could take a massive guitar jam epic like “Cowgirl In The Sand” and cover it so that we don’t even think about the Neil Young & Crazy Horse version? If only each guy offered songs as good as Gene did.

I think the only member of the group to take anything away from that project was Crosby who made his cover of Joni’s “For Free” a staple of his sets for years.

10. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I like Sweet Mary.

11. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

And I love Things Will Be Better.

12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I remember he had his leg in a cast in 1985 also. The Flying Burrito Brothers opened for 20th Anniversary Tribute To The Byrds show at Front Row Theater and Jim Goodall from the Burritos played drums along side Michael in the Byrds portion, I guess Michael couldn't do the bass drum pedal.

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Family Tree was a hard cd to find.

14. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I'd imagine so. What is your impression of it?

15. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

Just an update for those interested. I did the Chris Hillman interview for the podcast on Wednesday and it was great. He was really nice and open. We talked about memory, his writing process, what people most misunderstand about him and the Byrds, the Sweetheart 50th (with mention of a DVD) and more. Just wish it was longer. Only had 15 minutes or so with him. Will be out in just under 2 weeks.

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. I wish we'd get something from the Sweetheart 50th anniversary tour.

17. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I always think of this in relation to Paul McCartney as well, and I mean zero disrespect to the interviewer at all cuz its just the way it is, but can you imagine making numerous recordings for almost 60 years and the time you get asked most about is the original few years?

Imagine you were in the newspaper business right out of school. You did it for a couple years and moved on to 40 or 50 other projects, jobs, hobbies, etc. For another 50+ years. But then someone has a chance to talk to you and they say "talking with ex-newspaper guy (blank), so tell us about the newspaper business!"

I find it amusing from their point of view. But again, no disrespect at all. Its the years he is most famous for and why we are all contributing to this thread every day. :p I appreciate the effort and I'm super envious! Look forward to it.

Did he, himself, limit it to 15 mins?

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Excellent. Looking forward to hearing it! :righton:

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It could be worse. Your classic work may be forgotten!

Orson Welles did some adverts for Paul Masson Domecq sherry in the late Seventies. When he passed away, one UK newspaper's obituary carried the headline "Sherry Actor Dies." :doh:

20. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Maybe that’s why I don’t like him. I prefer my rock and roll to be rock and roll. I love it. But I don’t want people fawning over it as art. Words like “important” and “serious” go against the grain of what it’s all about for me.

Paperback Writer and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, where did you find this quote? I think it's been erroneously credited to me because apart from the times he's been quoted on this forum, I've never read a word by Robert Christgau. I'd never even heard of him until I joined up here. I've got the gist of what he's all about from other posters but I don't think he wrote much in UK publications, or if he did, not the ones I was keen on.

My take on music is, if I like it, it's art, if I don't, then I have no opinions on whether it's art or not. As far as critics are concerned, I like to read them but don't necessarily regard them as experts. Their viewpoints are no more important than yours, mine or whoever's. :)

zobalob and OmIsWhereTheHeartIs like this.
  22. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Haha for sure.

Ya gotta think though, knowing Chris, he's gotta say to himself "why doesn't anyone ask me about Desert Rose Band, that was where I excelled most!" Haha

AlienRendel and carlwm like this.
  23. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I think it has been established that the Byrds Nyrds thread isn't rock n roll enough so be careful... ;) :p

Tom Daniels and carlwm like this.
  24. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

What the hell. That is a @Maggie quote. Probably the most profound quote ever attributed to you @carlwm, I knew it didn't sound like you. :p

Joking of course.

carlwm likes this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ha ha! You know me too well! I'm much more comfortable swimming in the shallows. :D

Thought it might have been Maggie. Had a quick speed read through but couldn't find it though.

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs likes this.