Ortofon - The Concorde Century - how to align?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nubben, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Nope, I only use an aux weight when it's impossible to achieve the right VTF without one.
    So I only use it with my 2M Black and Glider SL.

2. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Can someone who has it give me an idea on what it sounds like? is it similar to a 2m black or bronze? Would you say its worth the money?

3. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

I’ve just got a good deal on one and it’s in the post. Will post some notes in here once it arrives.

guy1 likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I have made a cartridge comparison that includes both a Century and Black (and 5 other MM carts):

I have more needle drops of the Century on my channel if you’re interested.

Edit: my opinion is that if you already have the black and you’re looking for better sound color, it’s not worth the money - the difference is too small.
    But if you listen to how it handles noise and IGD, it’s considerably better than a 2M Black.
    That makes it worth the money.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    woodpigeon likes this.
  5. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Thank you! yes ideally i 'd love something that's close to the black but handles surface noise better. I will check out your videos!

woodpigeon and Oelewapper like this.
  6. woodpigeon

The Concorde Century arrived in the mail today. As promised some notes, I’m no reviewer and pretty new to the vinyl hobby so apologies in advance if this is all nonsense:

- It’s an absolute breeze to set up, obviously the alignment is pre-set for a Technics table, set the tracking force, anti-skate and VTA and off you go. 5 minutes maybe.
    - Sound-wise, it’s much cleaner and more detailed sounding than my 2M Blue or Nagaoka MP-200, but not as good as the moving coil Quintet Black, which I guess is pretty much what you’d expect given the price point and the design of the Century.
    - The bass is deeper and tighter than I expected, lots of reviews talk about the similiar 2M Bronze being a bit lean but I don’t really think that’s the case with the Century.
    - Kate Bush’s voice sounds pretty amazing with it.
    - So does Dire Straits’ Making Movies. Interestingly there’s a fair bit of sibilance in a couple spots on this record and it’s much reduced with the Century.

Still breaking it in, but really enjoying it so far, and looking forward to trying it out on more records.

ShallowMemory, Oelewapper and guy1 like this.
  7. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Thanks for the comments, sounds like it's perfect for me.

woodpigeon likes this.
  8. woodpigeon

Nice, let us know how you get on.

guy1 likes this.
  9. woodpigeon

Out of curiosity. Have any of you folks put a stylus 40 on the Concorde Century?

btstu likes this.
  10. VinylLee

VinylLee New Member

Hey Luicas, I have a Pioneer PLX 1000 and Ortofon Concorde DJ MK II. How do I get double gaskets? is it something buy or something available in the box?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.