Target B2G1 Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by rjraphael, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Not only that, but the people who package up our online orders for big retailers are made to work unrealistically fast. They don’t have time to MacGuyver an appropriately sized box. They won’t be rewarded for it, there’s nothing in it for the packager, just a risk of falling behind and getting written up. The company knows that it’s more profitable to just get everything out as fast as possible and handle the small percentage of returns later.

jlf and beyondmiles like this.
  2. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

That's a nice ideal, but these workers are just trying to keep their job, make it through another day, and keep their sanity.
    The reason we get these amazing deals is due in-part to low-wage, %^&y jobs like these.
    If you want guaranteed proper packaging, pony up the extra cost to buy from Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct.

jlf, riverrat, beyondmiles and 2 others like this.
  3. They should be happy they have jobs. Doing things the right way can often help with job security.

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Got my first vinyl from the latest sale — it came in a large rectangular box filled with air pillows (at least 8-10 of them) and the record was in perfect shape, not even a dinged corner.

Here’s what’s weird—this isn’t like a flat rectangular box of the kind you normally see from Amazon (in fact I got one of those today too). This was a housewares box, like what you would ship a toaster in. Roughly 11.5” tall x 14” wide. Record was in there diagonally, with air pillows under and on top, which I assume combined to give it a safe journey. Weird as hell that it was packed like this, but hey, it worked.

Dignan2000, SJP, Mike6565 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

“Bob, we’re gonna have to let you go. Every day you’re 200 boxes under quota... What? No, we don’t care if this is your life’s calling, we just want all this stuff out the door.”

Also, “They should just be happy they have jobs” is not only some anti-labor sentiment that impedes progress for better working conditions and pay, but it also just sounds out of touch with reality.

6. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

I've worked big box retail. There's no joy in what you're doing and there's no reward for doing exceptional work. You get crapped on all day from every angle and just do what you can to survive another day. And at least I had the existential out knowing this wasn't going to be my career. Can you imagine folks struggling to get by in life having to endure that every day with no end in sight? So, yes, a little empathy for those out there doing the work we don't want to do in order to get us our records.

Biff Jones, ivor, Dignan2000 and 7 others like this.
  7. "Bob, how many boxes do we ship a day on average?" .. "6".. I asked how many boxes ship from my local Target a day on average...6 (six). While I'm sure some locations ship more and some ship less. It takes a minute to cut a box down to size.

Agree to disagree. No sense making this thread about jobs. Back to the music.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  8. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

I think you’re confusing a local Target store employee for a warehouse fulfillment worker. Both relatively thankless jobs but a local Target employee is not waiting around on an 8 hour shift to box up six record orders. They’re cleaning up vomit, restocking shelves, picking online orders for pickup, processing returns, checking inventory. The $10/hr employee shouldn’t give a crap about spending literally triple the time to custom fit a box for a $15 record you bought at 33% off from a Target of all places.

Mike H., riverrat and Levi's Tubs like this.
  9. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Well folks, I received the dreaded Action Needed warning st 4:01am yesterday for the preorder of a Tone Poet title. New delivery date of May 7 for One Flight Up. Looks like this will continue until the next 3 for 2 sale. In the meantime, my in-stock orders have been filled and arrived well-packed in good condition.

Dignan2000, Mike6565 and hutlock like this.
  10. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I appreciate the heads up. I got a notice too, but would have missed it like I usually do. Here on the left coast, these stupid Target "Action Needed" notices are usually the very first email I get and therefore at the very bottom of each day's list. This one came in at 1:10 a.m. PST.

Biff Jones likes this.
  11. Levi's Tubs

Bah, they can cancel all of my other pre-orders, but please give me Lee Morgan's Lighthouse at the price I preordered at.

12. hutlock

UGH.

I ordered that title too but didn’t get an email. Went directly to my order page to see if there was an active button for approval of the delay—nada. Was hoping all this BS was behind us but I guess not. Target can’t be blamed for the delays, but they can definitely be blamed for their stupid-ass approval system.

Lethrus, Dignan2000 and Biff Jones like this.
  13. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

I'm with Levi on Lee Morgan's Live at the Lighthouse being the top priority. I was fortunate to have awakened early for work otherwise I might have missed the 60 minute window to "approve" the new delivery date for One Flight Up. This business with Target continues to be perplexing. Seems like the only sure thing is to order in stock titles.

14. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

stinsojd and hutlock like this.
  15. Levi's Tubs

Target is probably ill prepared to deal with all of the delays and date changes from Ume, so it's understandable. However, a massive company like Target should be able to figure out a more efficient way to deal with the changes or relax their current cancel policy on pre-orders.

16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Yep, I got a few boxed like this the last time around. Bizarre but the records arrived in perfect condition.

Received my first order from this most recent sale yesterday. Three albums packaged perfectly in a LP mailer without a ding in sight. Good on Target!

Davidmk5 and hutlock like this.
  17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

60-minute window? Perplexing is putting it nicely.
    Here's a quote from the message I received:

Thanks for your preorder. The release date has changed to Fri, May 7.

Please visit order details to approve the release date by Sun, Mar 28. Otherwise, we'll cancel the item.

So yeah, at least in my case, annoying as the policy is, they gave me 6 weeks to approve the delay.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but on two separate occasions I have let their customer service reps know exactly how I feel about this policy, i.e. it pisses me off mightily. (With my usual preamble that it's nothing personal, my gripe is with Target Corp, not them as person, etc.) I specifically bitched and moaned about the notices coming in the middle of the night, and not much time to respond.

18. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Yup, my 3 arrived in a slightly oversized LP mailer with the records tightly packed. The oversizeness seems designed to prevent corner dings. Not a ding on em. Well done Target.

SJP, hutlock and Mike H. like this.
  19. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I was ordering two vinyl EPs in the recent 3-for-2 sale (Tindersticks and Warpaint), so looked for a 3rd record around $10. I saw Rickie Lee Jones' "Pirates (vinyl)" for $8.99. Well, I have it on CD, but why not? Box arrived with the 2 records and RLJ on CD. I immediately suspected that it had been mislabeled, but I went on Target's site to request a replacement, with a note that if this is not really vinyl, just refund my money. As usual, Target says no need to return the incorrect item. Well, the replacement arrived today and I now have my 3rd copy of "Pirates" on CD. (It was only packed in a bubble-wrap envelope so the jewel case is cracked in multiple places.) I no longer see this item on their website.

20. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Just got an official cancelation MFSL Oh Mercy that has been backordered since last summer.

21. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

Ah bummer. Mine is still hanging around but I ended up grabbing a copy on sale at Plaidroom this past weekend on sale since I had a feeling it would be cancelled.

hyde park likes this.
  22. hutlock

So... you didn’t get what you wanted, but you got two free copies of the thing you already had? I guess it could have been worse LOL.

Patanoia likes this.
  23. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I got a cancelation notice this morning and expected it to be my Oh Mercy but it was for the SACD Dark Side of the Moon from Analogue Productions. A visit to the site still has Oh Mercy on backorder but I don't have a lot of hope. Didn't someone further up in the thread say they got theirs? I wonder when he ordered. My order was placed on June 20, 2020. On a hopeful note after a long wait, I did eventually receive my One Step of Charles Mingus Ah Um several months ago.

Mike H. and hyde park like this.
  24. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

Oh wow. I ordered mine on Nov 20 and still says backordered. It's possible that they still get some in. Music Direct has had a hell of a time with delivers and even finding people to drive trucks lately it seems. I got my Monk's Dream and Blood on the Tracks One Steps from Target about 2-3 months after ordering back in June.

25. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Yes, there are still some ma and pa stores that seem to be getting in stocks (Oh Mercy) in the past week or so they are listing them at higher prices though.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021