Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

It seems to me that John and Yoko could never quite figure out how to release their albums. They tried almost everything: twin albums (POB), companion albums (Imagine/Fly, Mind Games/AIU), joint albums (STINYC, Double Fantasy) and separate albums (Walls and Bridges/A Story - not released at the time). Oddly, they never tried a double album (1 disc John, 1 disc Yoko) which might have been the best option (choose your record depending on your mood). Some of the arguments made here for including Yoko's songs in this forthcoming box set would have applied equally to including some of her 'Fly' songs in the Imagine box set. In a way I was surprised that this didn't happen. I imagine (sorry!) that there were in the past, and no doubt still are, endless discussions about the best release option to choose. Now, as then, I won't be surprised to see different things tried. That doesn't bother me as long as the releases keep coming.

[​IMG]

2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

JOHN LENNON/Plastic Ono Band

Paul H and A well respected man like this.
  3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

He could've called it Total Yoko Ono and it'd still be a John Lennon album that Yoko didn't write or play on.

Paul H likes this.
  4. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I'd say: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY !! :righton:

ODIrony likes this.
  5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I always hoped that Yoko’s session would be included in the box in full.

Since we have to read angry hyperbole and lame jokes whenever the issue of Yoko arises, there is a certain satisfaction in watching the usual suspects whine and complain now that it’s a reality.

I'm not going to listen to the Yoko material on the box, but the knowledge that it's making a bunch of people out there furious with impotent anger by it's very inclusion is satisfying enough.

That's what art is about isn't it? The power it has over human emotion? It's a spectacular achievement for certain music to be able to evoke such visceral reactions in people without them ever actually hearing it.

swedgin, supermd, Hall Cat and 11 others like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You mean: Very similar front covers, as John and Yoko switch spots on their respective covers:

John Lennon/POB:
    [​IMG]

Yoko Ono/POB:
    [​IMG]

7. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

You're still paying for the Blu-ray disc even if it excluded Yoko jams, so I really don't see the problem. Are things really this serious?

Tyler, vitorbastos123, Mazzy and 4 others like this.
  8. Cristiano Cortellazzi

It seems some long time fans, long time collectors with thousands of vinyl (singular only) and CDs in storage cannot afford two more blu rays. Very strange. :-popcorn:

9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Yes.

But in this case people _have_ heard it, or at least, enough of her work to form an opinion. I agree that there's no reason to get in a lather about its inclusion on the box set, but to simply express a dislike, even a strong dislike, of it and opine that the box set would be better without it, nothing wrong with that.

10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

And that's fine, I've heard a lot of Yoko's music and I'm not a huge fan either. It's the smugness or fury with which some people express that opinion that makes them look a bit silly.

I'm fine with them including whatever they want in these box sets, as long as they're not leaving off quality items to include extra crap no-one asked for (i.e. the Kinks super deluxe boxes with only snippets of vintage home demos, but including newly recorded stuff or interviews that no-one wanted)

11. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

It's nice to have things all together don't you think. There are choices all along the way. Whether to buy or not, what discs to start with, which songs are your most favoured, etc.

12. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

:laugh:

Wow, I can't imagine my life being so sad as to my satisfaction depending on other people's reaction to a music box set. Not that any of those reactions have been as strong as you suggest ("impotent anger"? Are you a Batman villain? :D)

Paul H likes this.
  13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

And it's her birthday today. 88!

14. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

I understand what you’re saying, except that I don’t believe they meant Mind Games and AIU to be companion pieces. They were separated during much of 1973-74. AIU was released early in 1973, while Mind Games was released in October. Yoko then released Feeling The Space a few weeks later. John appeared on both those albums, I believe, but that’s because they’d already laid down the tracks before splitting up. She was interested in trying to do her own thing and he was interested in May Pang, Brandy Alexanders, putting things on his forehead and ultimately getting back with her. He just happened to record some great music during that time, like Walls And Bridges, which was a smash.
    I would doubt these albums will be interwoven in the future. They shouldn’t be, but I could be wrong. Either way I expect it will be awhile before we find out, as I wouldn’t expect these albums anytime soon. I think they’ll either go with the logical choice of Double Fantasy next, at least I hope so. I’d like to see that one released with Yoko’s involvement.... or they’ll go the chronological route with STINYC.

15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"If it's not 100% my way, I'm out!"

Shawn likes this.
  16. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

And during this timeframe he met up with Paul again, even recording a jam session.
    A jam session that might (not) turn up on some future "Back to the roots" type box set...... :righton:

green_ovation likes this.
  17. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

I have the recordings. If they come out at some point, it won’t be a release, it will be an escape :uhhuh:

zobalob, l-l-d and blutiga like this.
  18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I really can't stand the Yoko Wars that break out inevitably in just about every John Lennon thread -- easily the most "politicized" topic in all of Beatles fandom. The holier-than-thou arrogance of *some* of her defenders; the over-the-top grievance of *some* of her haters ... with everyone assumed to be in one of those camps, no room for people who, say, don't like Yoko or her music but don't "hate" her, or people who like her music but can understand why others don't. Anyone who is still THAT passionate about whatever her role was in the Beatles' breakup ... or is still offended (or confused) by her art ... after up to 50 years of arguing about it ... really needs to step back and reassess.

That said, I'm not a Yoko fan, but I understand the reasoning behind putting her POB songs on this set. I mean, nobody complained about the Thrillington CD being added to the RAM box (other than those who already had the album and didn't want another copy), and that's an equally "kitchen sink" type of addition. If you've never heard the YO/POB album -- but love the music on John's album -- it really is worth a listen, because John, Ringo and Klaus are really having a blast on Yoko's tracks. Her tracks may still be a "listen once out of curiosity" thing for some, but for the Yoko fans it will make the set feel "complete." For the rest of us, it's not hurting you -- and if you think removing her tracks would lower the retail price of the box, think again. They'd find something else to add that goosed the price. And then we'd have 10 pages of "Why do we need Live Peace In Toronto in this box???"

Eska68, jmxw, beatlesblogger and 20 others like this.
  19. Cristiano Cortellazzi

I’m into the “deluxe box, whatever it is” camp. No sweat.

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My best guess is it was a commercial decision not to release the two POB albums as a double, perhaps along with a desire to give each a chance to stand on their own. I think it was likely obvious to everyone involved John’s album would massively outsell Yoko’s, and perhaps they did not want to make people pay for a double LP just to get the one they really wanted? Or they thought less people may buy it if they had to buy a double and couldn’t just get John’s album? Perhaps they just really liked the complementary album cover concept?

21. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

One question I have -- and I apologize if this has already been addressed -- is, does anyone know if additional tracks of Yoko's featuring Ornette Coleman, David Izenzon, and Ed Blackwell will be on this set? I can see how it might be a grey area, since "AOS" is on YO/POB, but wasn't recorded during that album's sessions.

22. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Hi, No. Only tracks recorded with John, Ringo, Klaus (and Clapton).

supermd, OobuJoobu, javilu77 and 6 others like this.
  23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Couldn't agree more :tiphat:

24. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

It seems to me its quite easy to bash Yoko and she has taken an awful lot of abuse for having 'split' the Beatles, not that weren't Al, starting to pull in different directions before she arrived on the scene and was more an excuse rather than catalyst.

She was/is an artist and her music is part of that art. I kind of like the spontaneity of her music it makes a refreshing change from the buffed up music of today

25. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You must be reading a different thread to me. I've read (and have written) no "angry hyperbole". I don't notice anyone whining and I don't detect anyone being furious with impotent anger. The only hyperbole I've read comes from posts like this, aimed at denigrating those who dare to suggest that Yoko songs don't belong in a boxed edition of one of John Lennon's albums.