Chuck Cunningham Syndrome

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

A recent one — on the first season of Succession Kendall had an ex-wife who he interacted with regularly, but she vanished in season 2. I don’t know if she was even mentioned.

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Sam Malone on Cheers had an ex-wife, Debra, who appeared in episode 2, played by Broadway star Donna McKechnie. She never appeared again, nor do I think Debra was ever mentioned again.

3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

On Seinfeld, Jerry and George's parents were pretty much regulars but Elaine's father was only shown once and Kramer's mom maybe a couple of times. Elaine was also the only character with siblings as she mentioned having a sister.

kt66brooklyn and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

On the TGIF sitcom, Step by Step, starring Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Somers, Duffy's character's son Brendan was featured in the first six seasons. When the show moved from ABC to CBS for its seventh and final season, Brendan did not appear.

Steve Litos and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Elaine’s dad was played by notorious character actor Lawrence Tierney. By some accounts, the show’s cast and crew really didn’t want to invite him back, due to his on-set behavior.

fr in sc, kt66brooklyn, Scowl and 2 others like this.
  6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yup, I read about that somewhere but they could easily have recast like they did Morty, Frank and Newman. Guess they decided two characters with crazy parents was enough.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

No, they never brought Carver back. Season 1 and he was gone, never to be mentioned again. John Burns was a boring *****. His character traits were naivete, already covered by Tony Banta, and an outsider status, already covered by Alex Rieger.

Reverend Jim was an immense improvement. Though it could be argued that after Jeff Conaway left, the show was a little too weird with Reverend Jim AND Latka. Conaway did do a return episode as Bobby Wheeler.

"John Burns" portrayer Randall Carver did manage to somehow appear in both Midnight Cowboy and There Will Be Blood.

8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Sam also had a brother in the first season. He appeared in the season finale, but you only saw him from behind, and didn’t see his face (similar to Vera’s “appearance,” later on). I don’t think the brother was ever seen or mentioned again, either.

9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

fr in sc likes this.
  10. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

They eventually reused the idea in the 1980s episodes, where Perry was assisted by law student Ken Malansky.

11. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Malansky did take over the investigating role that was originally done by Paul Drake Jr

As for the law clerk in the first series there is speculation Burr was thinking about leaving after five years and they were grooming his replacement. Also they may have tried to get younger viewers with a younger cast member. But you didn’t need a law clerk to explain things to clients and Mason already had a private investigator on the payroll.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

George also mentions a brother in Season 1/2 but he's never heard of again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Sam Malone didn't have any kids with his ex, so she really had no reason to keep showing up. Sam's brother, yeah, that was not a show highlight at all.

I wish they would have kept Bob Hartley's sister around because it kept them from writing Howard as a complete idiot. But I guess they didn't want to go down that road.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That does sound familiar but I haven't watched the early seasons in quite a while so I'm gonna have to check those episodes out to see if there's more information that was later forgotten.

eddiel and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

On “McHale’s Navy” Seaman Joseph “Happy” Haines (Gavin MacLeod) left after two seasons, not replaced or even referred to. MacLeod, unhappy with a weekly line of “what are we gonna do, Skip?”left to film”The Sand Pebbles”, did guest shots such as various Nazis on “Hogan’s Heroes and must have found a yard full of four leaf clovers as he ended up in “Mary Tyler Moore Show” and “The Love Boat”

fr in sc and uzn007 like this.
  16. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

On the Dukes of Hazzard-- What supposedly happened to the original Duke boys? Didn't both main characters get replaced late in the series? (I assume due to contract issues with the actors)

musicfan37 likes this.
  17. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Bo and Luke left to join the NASCAR circuit so Coy and Vance came to live with Uncle Jesse so there was an explanation for their brief disappearance. When the contract issue was resolved Bo and Luke retuned and Coy and Vance left to take care of another relative.

Also in the Dukes of Hazzard Roscoe was gone and replaced by different Sheriffs for several episodes but I can’t remember if there was any explanation on the show.

Matthew Tate and altaeria like this.
  18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I like the sound of that, the CHUCK CUNNINGHAM SYNDROME. Sounds like a X-Files episode.

mdm08033 and uzn007 like this.
  19. Or a late ‘70s jazz fusion quartet.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Excellent!

mdm08033 likes this.
  21. Beatles_Apple

Beatles_Apple Forum Resident

Which I think destroyed the show but that’s another discussion...

fr in sc and AppleCorp3 like this.
  22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I checked the episode list and there was a gap of a few episodes between the one where John got married and his next appearance. I think that's why I thought he made an appearance in the Second Season, at the time it seemed he disappeared then reappeared.

23. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Why they dumped her and replaced her with the dull as dishwater Helen Crump is beyond me.

Having said that: in real life it's not uncommon for an old girlfriend (or boyfriend) to never be mentioned again after a break-up. So having Ellie Walker disappear is plausible.

24. Honey Bunches of Sadness

I only remember the guy on the left....

25. Honey Bunches of Sadness

That was a shame, because Downey was by far the most magnetic actor on the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.