Amazon AU price watch thread...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jimmy Agates, Sep 20, 2018.

1. ispace

ispace Senior Member

What on earth are Amazon’s programmers smoking?

Crimson Witch, westcj, scobb and 2 others like this.
  2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

They are smoking algorithms that get us to spend as much as they can get us to spend whilst maximising their profits! o_O

I am sure that these algorithms have a lot in common with the ones used in Pokies!!

E.Baba, ispace and westcj like this.
  3. Glam77

Glam77 Forum Resident

True, but one boxset i was watching dropped to about $40-50 plus shipping. A week later it was $100 free shipping . All on amazonUK.

scobb, westcj and Frightwig like this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Yes you run the risk that the price will go up!

westcj likes this.
  5. westcj

westcj I'm like a wombat on the rampage

I have to admit that Amazon Prime has spoilt me, I get a bit agitated now if I have to pay $4 for postage on eBay items!

Mylene likes this.
  6. Glam77

Glam77 Forum Resident

Don’t forget the 10% gst added AND $17 eBay import fee (what ever the hell that is)

westcj and scobb like this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Is that the 'Gerry Harvey' tax?

Dingo, westcj, Glam77 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Glam77

Glam77 Forum Resident

He wanted gst added, but the other import fee on top of that?

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

He's got gold plated taps in his bathroom so he got what he wanted.

10. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Gerry Harvey - selling overpriced imported goods for years and as soon as the polulace finds a way to get them direct for cheaper he cries foul. The sort of guy you really must respect.....NOT!

I have never and will never buy from him again. (not that it'll make any difference!!)

Dingo, ispace, Mylene and 3 others like this.
  11. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Yep - it was his lobbying that cut the world’s amazons off from us all. I’ll never darken their door.

12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I’ve noticed some absurd import charges on eBay! Truly criminal!

Jimmy Agates and E.Baba like this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Now let’s be honest here! Amazon used it as an excuse to push us to Amazon au! God know why they had to make it so complicated but they did and it had little to do with the gst!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I've seen those 'fees' and have no idea what they're for. Seems to be a random money grab. Sure turns me off buying the item with a random extra amount added.

I've seen them on listings from the U.S.. Are they elsewhere?
    Anyone know what the excuse is ?

scobb and westcj like this.
  15. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

It coincided with the implementation date of the legislation, and would not have happened if that trigger didn’t exist. There was some definite cynical work at play by Amazon being unwilling to collect tax for the government and the subsequent unblocking of US Amazon shows they could have worked it out. But we still cannot preorder UK titles at sometimes very good prices and so we still have a second rate franchise and for that, I blame Norman, Sol Lew and the flunkies in govt beholden to their donations....now, back to the bargains!

westcj, scobb, iloveguitars and 3 others like this.
  16. westcj

17. ispace

ispace Senior Member

There’s a CD in stock on Amazon.com, but shows as “Currently Unavailable” when viewed on Amazon.com.au. Has anyone had luck getting something made available on AU?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  18. westcj

It varies, I have a CD box set on order since Jan 2 2021, I know it's available because I have seen it for sale on other websites and it was only released in October 2020. I'm assuming Aust Amazon is just being slack

croquetlawns likes this.
  19. ispace

ispace Senior Member

T
    Thanks. This is an older CD from 2011, and only available from the label or Amazon US.

20. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

You can’t just order it off the US site?

21. westcj

An interesting article in The Age last week about a new record pressing plant in Melbourne and record sales over taking CD sales last year.

Supports my theory that Amazon Australia are wanting to get rid of old CD stock sitting in their warehouses as there is very low demand for it, and have programmed their algorithms to heavily discount old CD stock. Is makes good business sense: price discount and get rid of slow moving stock taking up space.

But it would make even better business sense to have a genuine Sale, rather than prices jumping up and down like yo-yos - deprogram the algorithms for a week and clear their inventory of CDs.

croquetlawns and ispace like this.
  22. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Did vinyl actually outsell CD's (only units can be taken seriously) or is the old story of dollar value of vinyl which is a whole other story when the average vinyl album is 2-3x as much as the cd equivalant??

Bonddm likes this.
  23. westcj

Good point, in the USA in 2019 record sales were $230 million, compared to $130 million for CDs , but the statistics don't mention actual units sold

24. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Yes I can but it’s an extra US$14.98 to post one CD via Amazon US, versus free Prime via AU. What’s with that, Amazon US charging retail USPS cost. It used to be US$6.98. They must be making a fortune on shipping.

25. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Sometimes when you look up an item on the US store it gives an option (bottom left hand side) to buy the item from the AU store. I’ve found this leads to a link that isn’t available via the usual Amazon AU search.