Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not going to re-read the whole 42-page thread, but if you’ve missed the whining about how they’d be “making” people buy music they don’t want, I promise it’s in here...

GregorSamsa and Shawn like this.
  2. I guess an easy way around it is to title this forthcoming set similar to the book John & Yoko/Plastic Ono Band.

3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Well, I can see posts from people complaining about that but I haven't detected any whining, just expressing an opinion. Perhaps my definition of "whining" is narrower than most others'.

4. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

In 1982 I was attending a nice gathering in Brooklyn which culminated in a sort of record party where we slapped on 45 rpm records and grooved. Played a John Lennon single and then asked to hear the B side (that was the Yoko side of those things). The host was livid (and it was his record!) and insisted that no such monstrosity be unsheathed at his gathering. We prevailed and something really interesting happened: the host loved it. It seems in the ensuing years his ears had caught up with Yoko and he didn't even realize it.
    I like to think that some people are just one good party away from loving Yoko.

Eska68, KaptKopter, RL4L and 18 others like this.
  6. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I enjoyed your coffee making video ..keep on brewing

7. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

I thought this thread was for everyone to express their feelings, wishes. predictions, etc., about this release. Let’s say Yoko’s music was not on this set, it didn’t make the cut, would everyone who expressed their disappointment about it be whining? Or is it just one-sided?
    As I distinctly remember on the old Imagine thread 2+ years ago, there were a few who felt that Fly could/would/should be included, it wasn’t and they complained about it. Was that whining?
    I get it that they’re going to give us the album they want to anyway. Why should either side not be allowed to express their viewpoint about it, when it comes to potentially investing their money into a very expensive purchase?
    Again, I personally do not mind the outtakes being on there, I like Yoko, and my music collection proves it, and not just one or two albums that are deified on this form. I think it would be intriguing to hear her music interspersed with John’s oldies jams from that session.
    That said, she is an acquired taste, and some aren’t willing to put forth the effort, or just don’t like her. that’s their right and their opinion matters as much as anyone here.
    I’d much rather have the outtakes than to have that same space taken up by an album already in my collection. I do not need an Ultimate Mix of that album. That’s my personal choice, which I expressed here. I wasn’t whining and I haven’t sniffled even once.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  8. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Actually, I remember some user writing if Yoko's tracks were not included, he was "out" of this release. I haven't read anyone say they were out because they were included, just that they didn't want them. It's curious how a purely musical opinion can rustle so many feathers.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Interestingly, the cover of Yoko's LP was used on the booklet back side of the 2010 remastered John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band.
    Maybe a hint/sign that both albums would be packaged together in some form in future releases (including the forthcoming box set)?^^

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Same here. And I actually also like Yoko's Plastic Ono Band LP. :righton:

11. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

Yes, I think some are trolling. Many won’t even buy the set. That said, if they like her so much, they should want her to get her own Ultimate Collections or SDE instead of being dumped on John’s Blu-ray’s. I can see where she belongs on STINYC and DF, but solo albums are solo albums.
    Nevertheless, she’s on this one, and I’ll get to hear her jam with half the Beatles on a John Lennon album. When they could have put her 2 hours on a 3 disc Yoko POB that I would have purchased for those same jams. So there’s 1 sale she lost for starters, and I’m getting the jams on an album I would have bought anyway.

A well respected man and Paul H like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Well, I do want Yoko to get a box set... I already bought the 2017 reissue of her POB album with the extended version of "Why". I'd have gladly shelled out for a vinyl box with every take on it, a la the Stooges' Fun House Deluxe. But I'm glad that these jams are going on John's album too, because they're part of the story of that album's sessions

13. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

A few posts back you said " It's just that any tiny spec of negativity gets jumped on and bashed into the ground by those who disagree".

I have not seen a shred of commentary in this thread that falls under the description of "bashed into the ground by those who disagree". Keyboard warriors might be getting a little carried away.

The way I look at it we're getting unreleased jams that form the basis of the Yoko Ono /Plastic Ono Band album - all added to existing blu ray audio discs in the set.

I don't see an issue? Sounds great to me. Yoko Ono (John's wife) and Sean Lennon (John's son) get to call the shots and so should they.

If we don't want to hear the jams with Yoko, that's totally fine, each to their own.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  14. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

Well said

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I wish there was more from that session/tape. If more exists, it would be the perfect thing to release on a label that specializes in jazz/experimental stuff.

ConnieGuitar, mw1917 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Well I'm a bit shook here - always assumed there was an afro under the hats....
    ;)

17. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

We do love a good Yoko argument here, don’t we? :rolleyes:

If Yoko’s music is included, but not at the expense of any John music and doesn’t make the set any more expensive than it would have been, then we are all winners.

18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Exactly! I don't know Yoko personally so I can't dislike her as a person, she may be very nice for all I know. Just because I or anyone else don't enjoy her musical output doesn't make us so called "Yoko Basher's", our reason for not wanting her contributions on this release are every bit as valid as those of you who do.
    I said that and stand by it. Not only don't I want it, or want to pay extra for it, it quite simply doesn't belong on a John Lennon Solo box. If it were to be a Double Fantasy or Milk and Honey set that would be different, those were John & Yoko joint releases, which I personally would more than likely skip.

As a moderator let me just say that aside from outright attacks on Yoko, which cannot and will not be tolerated, the main problems caused in these threads are when members bring in the Yoko bashing accusation, this serves no purpose other than to alienate other members and derail a thread. Moving forward I suggest if you are happy for the Yoko content then you are free to say so and discuss the music. Equally if you believe it doesn't belong on a John solo release you are also entitled to say why and discuss your reasons. As long as the conversation remains constructive, friendly, free of insults and accusations then I see no problem.

19. Paul H

I was referring to the several pages that were suddenly devoted to robustly defending the decision to include the tracks while also, occasionally, taking pot shots at individuals who expressed the contrary viewpoint simply because I chose to suggest that I was "mildly frustrated". And it isn't just on this thread. I hadn't seen a shred of commentary that looked like fury or angry hyperbole, but it was claimed.

Anyway, I'm done trying to justify having an opinion. I was under the impression that, on a discussion forum, there was a place for all points of view and that, naively, all of them would be treated with equal respect. It just doesn't feel that way sometimes, and it's no wonder some good people choose to walk away from this place, or not engage as much as they might.

My opinions on this set don't seem welcome so perhaps I'll cease to be part of this conversation.

20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Paul

All opinions are welcome as long as they remain friendly and within forum guidelines, yours most certainly do and you should not be afraid of posting them.

21. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Good grief. All this and here's me, over here looking at Bluray players... :hide:

Wingsfan2012 and jmxw like this.
  22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Me too. I always give the tracks she sneaks on John's albums a chance. It's just I always end up not liking them.

Unfortunately, that's not how music releases work. Every track included in a release has a cost in the concept of royalties. In fact, I remember someone from the industry explained in this same forum it was more expensive to have more tracks on fewer discs than to have fewer tracks on more discs.

But it's all fine, I'm buying the set anyway.

autumn daze and Carl80 like this.
  23. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

That sounds logical, seeing the amount of "classic album series" with many discs and usually no bonus tracks wasting a lot of plastic for cheap prices.

24. Beatles_Apple

Beatles_Apple Forum Resident

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band & Yoko Ono/ Plastic Ono Band albums were made/created during the same sessions. Any true fan of John’s album would want as much session material/jams released as possible from the sessions regardless of Yoko’s participation.

25. Paul H

I don't know if it's still the case but it certainly was in the US back in the 1960s. Things were different in the UK: royalties were paid per unit (that is, per disc). As I say, things might have changed.