'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

The noise on Dear Old Stockholm is an issue with the tape. Another user here brought my attention to the notice on the back of the album cover that says "LP Supervisor Note: There are several instances of mic overload on Art Talyor's "crash" cymbal. This is present on the original stereo master tape."

I'm not sure if that explains all you are hearing, but there's definitely something on all of the copies.

draab and AnalogJ like this.
  2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

just got these this morning and i have to say im impressed by the clearness of them. Not as great quality as VSS but thats to be expected because of the price.

i sent VSS a question asking if theyll make a 4mil single pocket resealable, would be great if he did.

otherwise this is probably a good option to use all the dual pockets on single lp gatefolds. Ill probably use the VSS on the cover and these amazon ones on the rear that way i can keep record inside gatefold and still read the rear.

3. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I noticed that disclaimer too. The distortion I’m hearing though is the bass not the cymbals. I frequently get distortion from old jazz reissues and I always wonder if it’s my ears, my system, the pressings, the tapes, or the mastering. It usually happens with Kevin Gray mastered stuff, but my vintage pressings and pretty much everything else that’s not an old jazz record cut by Kevin plays totally fine.

4. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

But then you can’t see the inner photos! Just kidding, you can’t have it all.

I saw in a VSS video on a 3 LP set that the VSS guy said you could put two LPs inside one pocket. This would seem to make using a VSS dual pocket sleeve (in conjunction with say the cheaper Amazon sleeve linked above) even for MMJ 2x45’s.

Has anyone actually tried it? Maybe it’s theoretically possible, but not a really comfortable fit for two 180-200g slabs of vinyl?

Also, I see VSS offers 2mil as well as 4mil dual pocket resealable sleeves. Has anyone used the 2mil and actually thought it was too thin and wanted 4mil instead?

I ordered two packs of 2mil and two packs of 4mil, so I’ll eventually be able to answer this myself, but they’re on back order, so no idea how many more weeks until I get them. Since we all baby our nice records even if sleeved, I’m just thinking that 2mil may be enough.

5. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

This has has been a consistent problem with the QRP Verve releases thus far, for me. Whereas RTI 180g LPs have smooth rounded off edges, QRP’s are super sharp and feel kind of unfinished, and easily cut through that sensitive spot in the middle of the gatefold. Doesn’t help that QRP inner sleeves are looser than RTI’s. (One has to think those loose rice paper inner sleeves contribute to the many instances of shipping seam splits on Mofi jackets as well.)

With enough jostling in transit any 180g disc is going to cut through the gatefold though. I’ve certainly seen it on a handful of RTI Tone Poets and Music Matters. It’s annoying but I’ve never sent anything back for it, personally. Then again I don’t really look at the inner gatefold much after first unsealing it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    mikemoon and astro70 like this.
  6. Swordsandchains

haha yes with the photos, i thought about thats. But i figured id rather see song titles and info when pulling off shelf.

i wondered the same about the 2 mil especially with financial savings but opted to do a bulk order of 4 mils. They just feel super sturdy.

and you can fit 2 in one sleeve, not my personal favorite but it works just fine.

captouch likes this.
  7. Bass on Top and Byrd in Flight ordered!

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Now that you say this, I think on the AS promo video, Chad opens up the jacket and I thought I heard a tear. He even comments, "I love that sound of the jacket opening." (paraphrasing) I've always thought those RTI sleeves were probably better for transit protection. I don't really care for them as keeper sleeves but the newer ones are much better than the older ones. I use them at times but not on the TPs or MMJ ironically.

YEX 750-1 likes this.
  9. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

On my second listen of Bass On Top, this time using cans. I think part of what I may have perceived as distortion earlier was resonance within Paul’s bass. I still hear some distortion, but some of what I’m hearing brings me back to the days I was a violinist and played every day. That sound that a set of not so perfect strings would make once in a while

This album also seems to have a very high level of tape hiss. Maybe it’s just because I don’t often listen to LPs with headphones but wow. This one certainly takes the cake for one of the highest sound floors I’ve ever heard.

edit: I’m on Stockholm now and clearly hear what I guess is the distortion in the cymbals? Sounds like a scraping rough sound whenever the cymbals come in. At first I thought it was non fill but upon further listening it definitely sounds like it’s the tape. Maybe this one won’t get sent back after all. Sounding a lot better now that I know what I’m hearing. Not a perfect recording, a bit of Kenny’s guitar seems to be overloaded here and there but it’s tolerable on such an old recording.

10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

That sound isn’t tearing, it’s just the glued-on inner slick stretching open. The tearing happens when the record knifes through the paper, caused by shifting in transit. I suppose that the stretching of the inner slick on first open *might* cause a tear *if* the disc is pressed into the gatefold seam, which is why I recommend sliding the record out by an inch or so before opening, just so that you aren’t adding stress to the seam.

mikemoon and periclimenes like this.
  11. Swordsandchains

And these are going back to Amazon. Tore 2 out of the first 3 i tried using without barely any pressure.

I asked mike at VSS about the single pocket resealable and he pointed me in the direction of the 2 mil multifunctional sleeves

12. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Yes, it is somewhat common with TPs and MMJs. In fact, last summer someone posted that Carol at MMJ had the perfect solution - she recommended some scotch tape, LOL.

In all seriousness, the stiffness of the paper benefits from some slow exercise. It needs some stretching before opening. What I now do on my first open is very slowly open about an inch at a time then close, open, close, open, etc very slowly progressing until fully open. The paper loosens a little and I am finding it splits less.

mikemoon and struttincool like this.
  13. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

My copy of Byrd In Flight, a few MMJ titles, and the most recent AP A Love Supreme reissue have that issue because of the similar gatefold cover sleeves, but I usually just take a tiny bit of Elmer's glue and fix it. It doesn't bother me at all like a seam split or major bump would. If it bothers you enough I would exchange it, but I personally wouldn't.

mikemoon likes this.
  14. Jeffrey Weiss

I have not seen this issue yet.

15. Jeffrey Weiss

Wow, bummer. I have not had any tears on these in about 150. I am ordering another pack and will see if I notice a decrease in quality.

16. Jeffrey Weiss

I actually store my AP45s this way. The VSS sleeves are a somewhat soft vinyl and they do stretch. 2LPs fit pretty easily into the pocket. They are not too snug to the point I worry. YMMV.

17. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that. I didn't order them yet and based on your f/b, I'll pass.

18. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I was never very impressed with MMJ customer service, even as good a customer as I was. Can't say I'm surprised.

19. Jeffrey Weiss

I’ve seen the paper tear as I open the jacket. Had nothing to do with the record knifing through. Has more to do with brittle paper and some glue on the inside preventing a smooth opening.

struttincool likes this.
  20. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

That's good news to have as an option. If it's a comfortable fit, I think I'd ideally like to have both LPs in a single pocket that resides inside the gatefold, whether the pocket is on the back of the front sleeve or front of the back sleeve.

21. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I see now what people mean. Now that I look closer I can see how it happens. When I receive these gatefolds the first thing I do is pull the records out completely for a AS cleaning, so by the time I open the gatefold no records are in the sleeve. I should look at more copies and see if any have splits.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The way he tosses records around I dont think he really cares about seam splits lol. I actually jumped and cringed watching him go through his Beatles collection. "This here is a first pressing of the UK White album. Pretty cool *toss slam*..yeah..over here we got a japanese mono "Help" thats gotten pricey *slap to the stack of red monos*"

I guess when you have a bagillion records stashed everywhere it becomes a lighter affair.

mikemoon and AFA like this.
  23. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

Any more news on the Lee Morgan Lighthouse set? I ran across the British magazine Jazzwise - saw Lee on the cover of the March issue - figured there was a connection.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Is the noise issue on earlier pressings also?

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Mine was the rest of my hair I pulled out falling into the gatefold..

Vic Trola and Petter Premberg like this.