Do you always toe in your main speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Smurr1958, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

For the longest time I also towed my speakers in slightly, and was happy with the sound. But recently I went through an extensive listening session moving them in and out and all around as far as the cables would allow to see (once again) if the placement was optimal. To my surprise, placing them with no toe-in, firing straight ahead sounded best, with a similar enlargement of the soundstage which now truly extends beyond each speaker to the sides of the listening space.

At the same time I placed the spikes I had underneath the speakers in some Herbies titanium gliders that isolated them from the floor instead of stabbing directly through the carpet to the concrete slab below. This also raised the speakers about 1 to 1.5 inches higher than before, and the total effect is a definite improvement in not only soundstage width but bass solidity and articulation too. It's the best my system has ever sounded -- I only wish I had more hours in a day to listen and enjoy.

Tlay, hi_watt and Barnabas Collins like this.
  2. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Never. That is not saying I should not experiment with this though, as I have considered it.

3. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I watched the video. Very cool. I’m going to try this today! Thank you!

4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i toe out

Ted Torres Jr likes this.
  5. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

It worked for The Replacements.....:D

6. John76

John76 Forum Resident

This is from an owners manual similar to my loudspeakers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I remember, decades ago, the British audio writer/gadfly Jimmy Hughes writing that this was the best thing to do.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I have tried different approaches. I think it depends on the room shape, typed and design of the speakers, where one sits and so forth.

My living room is an odd shape and it’s where my main system is located. My lefts speaker is straight while my right one is towed in. I have fooled around with the right side placement because I have room to move it around, and the differences of 6” can be audible.

It’s probably due to the bounce of sound waves. Once your angles are off who knows what will be the results.

So, to answer the original question, it all depends. Lol.

Andy Saunders and Doctor Fine like this.
  9. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

John76, moops and luckyno13 like this.
  10. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Tone? likes this.
  11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have a pair of PSB Image B-25 monitors, on stand mounts that i toe in.

12. Smurr1958

Smurr1958 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Excellent video- thanks

13. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Enforces my thinking regarding keeping the loudspeakers and listening position well away from walls and toeing them in. Like the explanation about how stereo works and the advantages of a center loudspeaker.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  14. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I enjoyed and learned from the video as well. As Alan says several times, he describes an ideal, rather than what might work in the real world.

Case in point: I can move my speakers farther apart in order to achieve the 1:1.5 ratio he describes. But in doing so, I will move them closer to the side walls!

15. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

A thought occurs, re this. Do you suppose toeing out the speakers can create a more spacious "curtain of sound" (to use Alan's term) when physically spacing the speakers farther apart is not an option?

16. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Give it a shot. I toed mine out and the curtain became thin and lacked substance.

riddlemay likes this.
  17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

When it's just me: toe-in; if I have guests over: straight out.

18. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

That video was really interesting.

19. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I tried this and followed his directions exactly and I can tell you THIS WORKS! It is amazing. My stereo sounds so much better than ever before. Depth, clarity of instruments and vocals, imaging like crazy. So cool. At the end he suggests working with toe in but says that depending on your final speaker placement you may or may not need toe in.

20. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

Decided to play around with toe in on my KEF R7s this weekend. Speakers and listening spot are equally distanced at 10’ per my room size. Bringing the speakers in to around 18 degrees really snapped things in to focus and added spatial detail. I was finally able to hear the 3 dimensionality of my MoFi 45 RPM mono pressing of Pet Sounds. Incredible!

Bananas&blow and timind like this.
  21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

My manual saids to have the speakers meeting point just behind my head. :shrug:

22. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

My listening space - toed in ever so slightly sounds best.

bhazen and Bill Larson like this.
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do toe in my speakers. I play them in a nearfield triangular position. The reason I don't position my Polk speakers straight is because the room I have them in is small, and the sides are irregular. I also configured my amp for nearfields. Sure, I lose some spaciousness and a bit of depth, but the diffusion is lessened.

24. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

missan likes this.
  25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Depends on my listening position relative to their placement and distance apart.

progrocker and Ingenieur like this.