I’m a convert after years of digital cable improvement denial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HelpfulDad, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

That's a spectacular over simplification ... and you do it only to what you want to "prove" (your side of the discussion it's full of science and the other side are over simplifications to be showed as ridiculous).

I can say it's a very good tip in discussion strategy ... congratulations, very good speech ... but i think you're wrong.

If we have the time and moment to talk in a bar with a cold beer in the hand, maybe i really like to discuss this stuff. I think in other way it's worthless ... like in this thread.

"ding ding" ... Another round begins and i go out from this thread.

MGW likes this.
  2. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Why is the discussion in this thread "worthless?"

The OP started a thread to tell us he was surprised to find that an HDMI cable seemed to make an obvious difference in picture and sound quality, and opined that it was all due to the quality of the HDMI cable (e.g. a more expensive cable).

Others have chimed in from various viewpoints, including offering possible scenarios to explain what he's seeing, and also putting his claims in the context of how HDMI works. I've supplied links explaining how HDMI works to help inform, and put the claims in context.

Why is that all "worthless"...except perhaps to someone who just doesn't really care? (In which case, why would that person visit this thread in the first place)?

I'm curious about what a "non-worthless" thread on this subject would look like. Does it go: Someone makes a thread making a claim that goes against what other people know about HDMI technology. But everyone with a different opinion or knowledge otherwise just stays silent, and the only responses allowed are just head nodding agreement and "that's cool?"
    Is THAT a more worthwhile thread?

3. Peter_IT_Guru

Peter_IT_Guru Forum Resident

I might well have that beer with you but that still does not tell me how different cables deliver different data to my DAC

Agitater likes this.
  4. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Actually, I would defend the skeptics in the current thread, because the title invites discussion as to whether digital cables matter. The Ethernet cables thread didn't, and yet it became impossible to discuss perceived differences since the content of that thread ended up consisting of perhaps one or two pages actually discussing those perceived differences, and 65 pages of eloquent and informed, yet repetitive and ultimately futile discussing the implausibility of any difference. In my opinion, frankly not in accordance with forum guidelines re threadcrapping but I guess both sides are to blame since it takes two to tango.

Anyway, I don't know exactly what has happened but this forum seems to have lost much of the pleasant vibe that made it stand out against other forums, so I find myself spending less and less time in here. I'm mostly still here for the Strictly for Audio Note fans thread, which seems to be sort of a forum within the forum.

jfeldt, MGW and SirMarc like this.
  5. Peter_IT_Guru

6. Peter_IT_Guru

??????????????????
    What happened to the Ilusndweller post that I just LOL'd ?

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Is the first thing that comes to mind when dealing with Gurus.

MGW likes this.
  8. Uglyversal

It's all in your mind.

Peter_IT_Guru likes this.
  9. Peter_IT_Guru

Now that was nearly funny

10. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I dunno sometimes I delete posts bc Im really not trying to stir things up but think some people might feel I am. :)

11. Ilusndweller

Now I remember what it was and it had nothing to do with cables. I just said :thumbsup: to your post 250. I did not want to like it bc I dont drink anymore. :)

12. Uglyversal

I agree with you, this particular thread is an invitation to everyone even if the OP didn't have that in mind and you are lucky with the AN one, is probably the least interfered thread probably because most people who like arguing here have little exposure to that brand.

13. Uglyversal

I don't find the misfortune of other people funny.

14. Peter_IT_Guru

Of course you do, you are Australian

15. Peter_IT_Guru

Of course he did. Even to the point of suggesting that HDMI cables can make a difference

16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, that thing nobody would debate if it had an effect or not, it was very obvious. My brother still has my old one stashed away somewhere.

RhodesSupremacy likes this.
  17. Uglyversal

You seem to have a lot of strange thoughts in your mind, therapy might help you.

18. Ilusndweller

Im getting ready to hook up my C-9 Sonic Holographer to my Amazing Silvers. Then see how it affects the soundstage of my Schoeps CMXY-4V (usually 90 degrees) masters. An experiment, if you will and why I decided to buy it. :)

19. Peter_IT_Guru

Sorry, must e a different Sydney then

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think at this point its hard to regard cable threads as anything other "concern trolling" from both sides. I can't believe pro-cable people who start the threads don't know what is going to happen and welcome it, nor do I think the other side believes this will finally be the time they convince people they're wrong.

21. Peter_IT_Guru

Bang on Rolltide
    It is like me trying to convince my bible bashing neighbor that it is not possible that a mythical being created the entire universe several billion years after it actually happemed

22. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Agreed! The whole premise that anyone is trying to "help" anyone else is such nonsense. It's all about the sport of trying to show off how smart one is while trying to make the other feel stupid.

izeek and Rolltide like this.
  23. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

That meets the definition of trolling by the way. Unreal...and truly pathetic.

MGW likes this.
  24. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

There was a brief comment in post 35. I had to look back page page on page to find it myself - which means that you could have done it just as easily yourself.

But I have posted at length about measurement techniques to reveal mistermination reflections recently on another thread here; don't ask me to turf that out ;-) You're gonna have to find that yourself!

25. Peter_IT_Guru

Yup almost as bad as your banging on about mythical magic cables

Brother_Rael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.