David Bowie - Brilliant LIVE Adventures (1995-1999)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Oct 1, 2020.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I am envious of anyone who saw him in the 1970s. I have been a fan since 1980, but was a bit young to travel out of town by myself in 1983. So, the Glass Spider Tour was a long time coming, for me. I remember the sheer spectacle of the show, and getting crushed down the front. I had never experienced pushing like that before in my life. I was on a high for days afterward.

I saw every tour after that, and started doing multiple gigs per tour in 1990.

2. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Yes, at first I was envious of anyone who witnessed Ziggy but as time went on, the show I wished I’d attended was Earls Court 76, my favourite period. I too saw him on every tour after that but unlike you only once or twice at a time! The ‘Reality’ Manchester gig being the last one.
    I remember queueing for 4 hours with my wife at Milton Keynes and then waiting at the front for nearly 8 hours in sweltering heat. Bowie came on, the crowd surged forward and after one song (Space Oddity?) my wife couldn’t stand it and told me to stay and enjoy it whilst she was pulled out and to the side. I stayed for a further 4 songs before feeling guilty and asking to be pulled out myself to join her! We spent the rest of the concert in some free space and dancing the night away, not the best concert but great fun as, I’m sure you’ll agree, they all were.
    It’s fantastic that he brings back many many happy memories and will remain part of my life always.

3. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

Diamond Dogs, tower theater philly then a few months later soul tour spectrum philly
    and every one since :)

(im old lol)

4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The tour every Bowie fan wished he'd seen

AlienRendel likes this.
  5. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

That’s pretty cool, certainly not a lot of europeans saw that tour

6. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

it was fantastic so much so that the soul tour disappointed me at the time.
    (i was only in high school lol)
    where were the sets? lights?

i have come to really love and appreciate the soul tour now, but at the time...

funny thing, i work as a lighting director and lighting programmer and over the years 1 have worked with 5
    different designers of Bowie tours including that one. The amazing Jules Fisher.

Of course I pump them for info every chance i get lol

7. RrobynneUK

RrobynneUK Well-Known Member

So, when do we reckon for the next announcement?

timnor likes this.
  8. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Obviously not another tour ( I wish there was )
    If you mean Brilliant live adventures, I believe this coming Friday for BLA5 .

Alan57 likes this.
  9. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

So, I’m wondering that surely once BLA6 is released what the next releases will be.
    Current timings seem to suggest
    BLA5 announced 26/2
    BLA5 released 12/3
    BLA6 announced 26/3
    BLA6 released 12/4

Then we are around the timing of RSD releases for June, surely?
    What could these be MK live 1990? Changesonebowie pic disc (45 years anniversary).
    Box set 5 announcement April time for July/August release.
    Hunky Dory 50th for December.
    Low 45th orange vinyl January 2022

Anything else?

10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Lots of socks.

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am hoping they will release the 50th birthday gig as a way to commemorate his 75th birthday in January. And that would fit quite well with the 1992-2001 boxset.

12. dormantface

dormantface Forum Resident

Historically, it looks like the big boxes are announced in June/July with September/October releases. Who knows if they’ll stick with that pattern, though.

Would love more material from this era for RSD releases, such as a Tao Jones Index show and a ‘96 show, as others have mentioned.

Colinjpush, Markyp and marc with a c like this.
  13. lildroogie

lildroogie Well-Known Member

That would be cool, but given that they didn't include the NIN/Bowie songs on ouvrez le chien, it seems unlikely to me that they'd be able to include the appearances by all those guest musicians.

Colinjpush, scobb and AlienRendel like this.
  14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Perhaps, but given that it was one of his higher profile gigs i would expect it to be given a mainstream release in a similar way to Glastonbury and therefore be treated differently to gigs that are being sold online only.

Colinjpush and stepeanut like this.
  15. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I’ve said this elsewhere here, but since you asked?

10/08/07, Ft. Lauderdale.

In a nightclub, longest show he ever did, and the only time I saw him - but I doubt anything could compare. Very once in a lifetime, and it’s just about the luckiest moment in my life, barring huge life milestones, and I am kidding about that precisely zero.

16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

What calendar/notation is that. Don't see a year DB toured.

17. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Oh, sorry - I also mistyped! October 8, 1997.

Sorry for the confusion!

18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I saw him in London 1978 but don't remember a huge amount about about it except that the stage lighting was beautiful (vertical bars). Oddly one track that has stayed with me is Warsawza, it filled Earls Court with sound, unforgettable.

Nottingham Rock City in 1997 was more memorable in lots of ways, not least because small club and much closer to the man and his band.

Tim

OneLife, Cat People and stepeanut like this.
  19. stepeanut

Rock City was one of my favourites from the Earthling Tour. I’m not from that part of the country, but I saw a few gigs there over the years, not just Bowie. Cracking venue, now sadly gone.

Cat People and onlyconnect like this.
  20. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

The first time I saw Bowie was '78 Ahoy in Rotterdam, later in '83 I saw him twice in the Rotterdam stadion with the Serious Moonlight tour, In 1987 als in The Kuip with the Glas Spider tour, after that The Sound & Vision tour in Rotterdam and early this century when Reality was released he did a gig in London, to play thew whole album and some hits, which was integral immediately to be followed in some venues on big screens in Europe on the same evening, I saw this Gig in the Milky Way in Amsterdam.

Like others I'm sorry `I did'nt see him on the Reality tour through Europe.

Cat People and OneLife like this.
  21. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’m originally from Nottingham, lived there until I was 43. Lincolnshire for last 8 years.
    I used to go to Rock City from the age of 15 for the Friday ‘rock’ night.
    I’ve seen many bands there. Last few years I’ve seen Numan numerous times there and Adam Ant too.
    It’s still going , just under lockdown.
    It’s one of my big regrets missing the Bowie show there. I’d just become a Dad and was preoccupied at the time.
    ROCK CITY

stepeanut and onlyconnect like this.
  22. stepeanut

Ack. Mea culpa. I read something a few years ago about them selling off bits of the dance floor and assumed they’d packed up. Obviously didn’t read the full article.

Don’t think I’ve been there since seeing British Sea Power in 2006. I’ve been retired from gig-going for several years now, so no longer check the listings.

23. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Rhino vinyl showed up today. CD has tracking from 9 days ago, but still not showing in the UPS database. Super annoying...but that's why I had them shipped separately. The LP sounds fantastic. Wow. Great show. Love the version of Fame and Fashion.

24. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

You guys are killing me with all these tour recollections. I’m on the young side for this thread (under 40, though not by much) and didn’t really get into Bowie until 2005-06... right after he stopped touring forever.

25. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I’m a bit older. I saw Bowie for the first time with the Spiders at Long Beach Arena in March, 1973. It was a life changing experience. My friend’s record company contact got us (14!) tickets. I was a fan before the Santa Monica show and was just old enough to drive there but wasn’t yet conversant in ticket sale announcements and so it was sold out before I knew it was happening. Another friend who became a well known film producer got the two bootlegs of the Civic show immediately on “release” and we used to listen to that incessantly. I never travelled out of California to see Bowie, but I guess I saw at least one show of every tour he did that reached here, sometimes more. That includes seeing Tin Machine at the Roxy Theatre (which I found shockingly boring - even being ten feet from DB). Also unlike many here, my least joyful experience was seeing him on the NIN tour at the L.A. Forum. Most the the audience was there to see NIN, and Bowie’s band sounded small and messy in comparison. Of course, as a Mick Ronson partisan, I never really rated any of his other guitarists (Slicky did very well in the later days but I found him appalling in 1964). But my least favorite Bowie guitarist was Reeves Gabrels, which should get me kicked off this thread. I was surprised many years later to enjoy Reeves playing with the Cure.