Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I enjoyed last night's, for a guest and musical guest i wasn't familiar with. For one - no more stunt political casting, no Carey as Biden, no Trump, no Kamala. Just this large cast getting to do their thing. The skit about the Drivers License song cracked me up, because my daughter's told me the whole thing about that song already, so to watch guys at a pool hall talk about "High School Musical The Series" and fight over if she's more Billie or Taylor cracked me up. I also thought the prayer-off was pretty solid - just a simple setup done well. Hats off to Pete Davidson who lately seems like he gives a crap and is trying to be a sketch actor doing his job, and not Pete-as-distraction-being-Pete. Not everything was great, but man I watched that Harvey keitel repeat that was on at 9 a few weeks ago, and man the old days weren't all winners either! Anyway, yeah a apleasant surprise.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I think they hit this one out of the park last night. Everything was hitting. I was happy to see them go with more oddball premises for a lot of the bits. I cannot spell the host’s name but he was extremely good. And unlike last week, it sounded like the audience came to have a great time. Solid grade A for this one IMHO.

dan c

OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. I’m not a fan of the musical numbers so last night’s episode fell kinda flat for me (sea chanty, loco, grocery rap etc.). And things like the chicken legs sketch seemed like filler. I liked the cold open though. I’ll give it a C though as everyone was putting in a lot of effort it seemed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Jim Carrey is out of the picture,and evidently Alec Baldwin,too, as Trump,but Maya is expected to continue as Kamala,just not as newsworthy for laughs as the past VP. Me,since Mike Pence has a background in talk radio,I'd like to see him attempting to fill Rush's shoes. Too soon,too mean(as I would imagine) and possibly foreshadowing the future. The big political bozos of the week,Cruz & Cuomo,got a fair drubbing and extra credit to Cruz. I thought the Britney/Cruz/Cuomo sketch combined current events with good results. Davidson did get to ridicule himself in Weekend Update and get some digs about SNL & Lorne.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

If Joss Whedon was watching the opener he had to be relieved. Chloe is rising fast. Pete "I know I'm lucky to be here." Davidson is making himself essential. Mr. Host was charming and energetic but his shrieking fans were a bit much. As if I didn't have enough to worry about - Sexy Freddy Kruger.

Matthew Tate and Hall Cat like this.
  6. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I agree about Chloe. She seemed to be in half the show. Glad to see they're using her more,
    and it may be time to make her one of the main cast members. She really is terrific.

kouzie likes this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Heidi Gardner steals every bit she’s in. Neither her Weekend Update character nor the prayer-off were very creative or well-written, but she’s just funny.

Bad Bunny was the worst musical guest I’ve ever seen on this or any other show. Beyond awful lip-syncing.

Matthew Tate and Hall Cat like this.
  8. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I believe they genrally have to be a Supporting player for 3 seasons before they can move up to Regular.
    But Chloe seems to be a lock for that move when the time comes

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I noticed that too. I think she got more airtime in this episode than in any other by far since she was brought on as a featured player. A full-time cast member in the making for sure.

Beck has been on the cast for a long time, but this week I really realized how much of a solid and reliable performer he is. He's the closest thing to a solid, reliable "can't miss" in sketches since Jason Sudeikis left.

dan c

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Cokelike- and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I think it's two seasons

11. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I never laughed so hard from an SNL skit until I caught the 9PM central rebroadcast of a 2000 Britney Spears hosted episode in a Collin Quin Weekend Update skit interviewing Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thorton's weird relationship that hinted at inappropriate relations with her brother and the resulting love child played by Rachel Dratch.
    [​IMG]

Hardly laughed at last night's live broadcast. The sea shanty skit was pretty good but almost funny.

Jimbo62 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I feel completely the opposite. There's something about her that just rubs me the wrong way. I certainly see she's talented, just not funny. But I do agree with some of the other comments about Chloe. I think she's got a very bright future.

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Kenan is Mr. Solid and Reliable too.

scousette and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Other than her being cute, I don’t see Chloe’s appeal.

15. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

Is there.... another way to determine appeal?

16. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Host, Rege Jean Page = Charming & good actor.

Surprised w/so many musical numbers. Enjoyed the sea shanty one as a musical performance - didn't find it particularly funny.

17. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

18. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Others have already mentioned Chloe, but Ego Nwodim also had a great show.

19. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Well, she IS one of the best impressionists in the show's history, besides being very attractive.
    From last year...

20. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Funniest line of the night was Che saying NY governor Andrew Cuomo looks like "all three 'Goodfellas' at the same time" :laugh:

21. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Ego is really becoming a force on the show. I also really like Chloe. I think she's done better work than she did this past week but I'm glad she's getting more airtime. Also, I agree that Keenan and Beck are both solid, reliable performers.

I think this episode was really well done. I laughed quite a few times. Hopefully, they're hitting a stride.

Who the hell is Bad Bunny? He's supposed to be some sort of pop star? What a joke.

Joshua Tree likes this.
  22. svoegtlinNH

svoegtlinNH Well-Known Member

I think I'm probably in the minority, but I dislike Kennan with a passion. The only reason I hope his new show is a success is so he gets off SNL. I'm sick of his schtick. He's always Kennan being Kennan playing a character.. He never gets into his characters, it's always him mugging "Look it's me, Kennan! I'm playing a talk show host, hehe.." He is so one dimensional. He's worn out his welcome.. Has he officially passed Daryl and Tim Meadows as longest running cast member yet? I just don't get his appeal.

OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I do. He’s hilarious.

25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

We actually stayed up and watched most of the show live last night. Kate McKinnon trapped in the workout mirror was funny. The girls’ “Watching My Crime Shows” song skit was hilarious. The guys’ “Boner With My Friends” song skit was awful. Both because it was an awful song and because, as is so often the case on the show, the sexual humor just isn’t funny. I have zero problem with sex humor, it just has to be actually humorous. “We can break this taboo on network TV, so let’s do it with no real joke or laugh” is not funny. Beyond that, Beck Bennett and the rest of the guys in the cast simply aren’t that funny compared to Kate, Heidi, Melissa, Aidy, Ego, etc.

Nick Jonas wasn’t quite as awful as Bad Bunny, but that’s not saying much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.