Is Popmarket still good to buy from?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Turnaround, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

The forum used to have daily posts about Popmarket -- great deals, great packaging for shipping -- until they went under in 2017. Then Popmarket rebooted under new ownership. I still receive their daily emails.

Do any forum members still buy from Popmarket? What do you think of their pricing, timing and shipping?

2. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

I posted that same question on their Facebook page and never get a response from "customers." I check them daily as well and have almost bought from them, but usually Amazon beats their prices by a few dollars, plus with Prime, Amazon is still a no-brainer, most of the time...

lightbulb likes this.
  3. RadioKing

RadioKing Forum Resident

Pop Market recently had a 15% off plus free shipping coupon, and I just compared that pricing vs. Deep Discount with their recent 15% off coupon (free shipping over $25). These were for cds, including some of the Cherry Red label compilations that Pop Market features. Deep Discount was slightly cheaper. Pop Market rarely has those coupons, and I think overall their pricing is usually going to be higher than DD (and maybe Amazon), at least for cds.

lightbulb likes this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Occasionally, I’ve received a daily email from PopMarket that seemed intriguing and enticing.
    Upon researching the price, the offer was close to whatever Amazon was selling the same item for.
    So, I ignored the bait and didn’t bite.

Sometimes I’d go into CamelCamelCamel and set up my Buy price, and wait.

Years past, before PopMarket was resurrected by new owners, I’d probably made about 2 dozen impulse purchases.
    Also more on their Black Friday hourly extravaganzas.

No more. The deals just aren’t there anymore...

5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I used to buy constantly from them - haven't heard from them in the last - I'd say - 2 years. So not any more.

lightbulb likes this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I like the “old” PopMarket. If there was any problem with a box set, they would just send you a new one; no returning the old one. No wonder they went out of business.

7. Pop Market is importcds is SuperD is...(all the same company).

They are safe to buy from, just don't have the deals that the former Sony specific site had, now it is just an empty nameplate propped up by a very large distributor.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

is Collectors Choice is DeepDiscount.

I think Pop Market is now pointless. But it's safe if you find something you want at the right price.

Note that customer service is nominal/poor. So hopefully you get what you want and you keep it. If you are picky, I don't recommend dealing with any of their brands.

9. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

I bought a super deluxe box set from them post-bankruptcy/ownership change, and it was shipped with minimal packaging (just put in a box with a small piece of bubble wrap). Of course it arrived damaged, but I had no problem returning it. Reached customer service over the phone - I think they picked up on the 3rd ring - and they had me send it back at their expense, no problem.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

SuperD are not cheats. But they are not set up for customer service. You're lucky you found a phone number and you're lucky you got someone on the line. Usually, it has to be done through email, and it can be slow, and you may have to ping them multiple times to get a response.

They also don't do advanced replacement shipment (they ship replacement as you ship the defective copy) and often they won't do replacement shipping at all (only refund upon return).

PhantomStranger likes this.
  11. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Yeah they did this with me with The Kinks mono box set. The set I received was just shoved in a box, no bubblewrap or protection and severely banged up. I complained and then they just sent me another one, thrown in a box and severely banged up again. :laugh: I just let it go at that point. They needed to invest in some actual packing materials.

12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I've only dealt with them on Discogs and it seems they've taken over.

I've had two experiences with them. One good, one bad. I bought an LP NEW. I merely contacted them about how to get a hold of the manufacturers and they sent me a new one for free and no need to return the bad one. The bad experience is them stating they had an expensive box set that was in my wantlist for many moons. It pops up, I buy it. A week later they tell me they don't have it. During that time, another decently priced set showed up and I didn't get to buy that one because I thought I had one coming.

As a seller, it's getting hard to compete with them on some items. I see them listing the same product various times New/Sealed under the same listing. I thought Discogs had a rule you could only have one item in the same shape for sale. Aren't they a distributor connected to Alliance? It doesn't seem fair that distros are starting their own stores.

13. japes

japes Senior Member

I purchased two of the erroneously listed Emmylou Harris RSD box sets for myself and my girlfriend from Popmarket on Discogs. As many well know, PM sent out single albums from the box and not the set itself. I returned both records and but have yet to receive a refund for them.

I have been corresponding with them since January to no avail.

14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Have you explained the situation to your credit card company?

15. Petr667

Petr667 Well-Known Member

My experince with Popmarket:
    - I had a question about vinyl-editions: answered to my full satisfaction within three days.
    - then I placed the order and pay via PP: order was shipped the next day after my payment.
    - I received the order well packaged, after 14 days in mid Europe.
    ...In my opinion it's perfect!

16. TBos

TBos Forum Resident

did you pay import duties ?

The reason I ask is that some companies ship their orders to a central point in Europe from where it is further distributed to the final destination ... In this setup, I have never payed duties or import fees or anything ... But as I understand not all companies work like this ...

17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Popmarket's customer service ok by me. Yesterday I ordered the Neil Young Vol.2 boxset and later found a better deal at importcd's. A phone number is listed on the website, so I called and requested to cancel the order, they did and said no problem. :righton:

hutlock likes this.
  18. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thats funny because the same company also owns ImportCDs. No wonder they were so accommodating!

19. Jesse O Taylor

Jesse O Taylor Forum Resident

HEADS-UP:

POPMARKET DOES NOT WILLINGLY ISSUE REFUNDS!

IF YOU'VE MADE A REUTRN TO THEM AT ANY POINT, CHECK YOUR PAYPAL! I can almost guarantee that you were never refunded for it.

I've bought a ton of stuff from them via Discogs over the past year for IRL customers (150+ orders), and about 10% of the items they sent - 15 in all - were incorrectly listed.

THEY DIDN'T REFUND A SINGLE RETURN UNTIL I SENT FOLLOW-UP MESSAGES - months later - DEMANDING MY MONEY BACK.

More recently, I got a little lazy at the beginning of the pandemic, and just realized that they failed to refund a single return I've made in the past 8 months. Had to bring 8 separate PayPal claims against them, which they argued against and lost.

If it were a random occurrence I'd chalk it up to negligence, but the pattern here implies they're intentionally scamming customers by never willingly issuing refunds unless called out on it.

They've now banned me from their Discogs store because of the numerous justifiable PayPal claims I've been forced to bring against them.

I handed all the evidence over to Discogs, but as far as I can tell, nothing's being done about it.

samwisefan likes this.
  20. Jesse O Taylor

Jesse O Taylor Forum Resident

See my above comment.

They don't issue refunds, even if you return an item.

samwisefan likes this.
  21. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I preordered a copy of the BN Classic Somethin’ Else 2 weeks ago from their website. No word on it at all and now it’s back ordered on their site as well as most other places... first and last time using their website. I have ordered from them on discogs before no problem, but even then they did take forever to ship my item. Won’t be buying anything from them again unless it’s an unbelievable deal.

22. hutlock

I seem to recall the last time I ordered from them, the record just showed up in my mail one day—no email, no shipping notice. Apparently communication isn’t their strong suit.

astro70 likes this.
  23. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Interesting. Well, I guess I’ll give it a few weeks and see what happens. I’m not gonna hold my breath though.

24. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Got a response from Popmarket today. They are telling me they won’t be able to ship me a copy until the item is back in stock. Time to cancel. Just wow.

25. hutlock

Silly question but... did that actually come out? I haven’t seen it anywhere either.