Exposure vs Sugden

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eloimayano, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eloimayano

eloimayano New Member Thread Starter

Hello!

New here :).

I have a pair of Elac FS 67 that I wanna couple with a new amplifier with a budget around 500 USD.

I have narrowed my choice down to 2 models for now : Exposure 2010 and Sugden A28.

I like the Sugden, but I'm afraid it my overheat with the Elac, that's why I got interested in the exposure as well.

Which one do you prefer and Which one do you think would pair the better with the Elac.

Thanks !!

2. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

The Exposure 2010 was a good amp in its day not sure it would have the power for the Elac's...

Maybe you are talking about the newer 2020S?

3. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Big fan of Exposure. Has always worked well with my various loudspeakers. Well put together kit. Here’s the inside of the 13 phono preamp.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    bluemooze, UTP and eloimayano like this.
  4. eloimayano

No it i an OG 2010 available used in my area.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've been using a 2010s2 in my system for a couple months. No complaints. It seems to have plenty of power for my speakers as I never turn the volume past 10 o'clock. Never heard a Sugden amp, but I do have an old Cairn amp which does the first 10 watts in class A. It's not as lively a sound as the Exposure IMO.

6. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

$500 isn't much to work with for a quality amp that won't likely leave you wanting to upgrade shortly thereafter. I've been thoroughly impressed with my Yamaha A-S801 and got it "used, like-new" for <$700 from a dominant online retailer. Used, demo, scratch-n-dent, and open box values are out there and are often excellent deals- stick w/ reputable retailers w/ solid return policies. If you can't stretch your budget, or save more, or just don't want to spend more than $500, you might take a look at the other Yamaha's of the same line, particularly the A-s501 and A-S701. Do you plan to use the phono stage of the amp you get? What cartridge is on your Realistic? I ask because I've learned a lot about the importance of cartridge capacitance specs since joining this forum and it's an important factor in properly loading your phono signal chain for the best results your respective cartridge can manage. The more details you put into your profile "information" tab, the better guidance you'll get from the knowledgeable members here. FWIW, I listen to a lot of math rock, high energy instrumental rock, and think the Yamaha does an admirable job of digesting the often complex and chaotic sounds, fluctuations and transitions of albums like "What Burns Never Returns". Nice avatar. Best of luck with your amp search. Giraffes? Giraffes!

bluemooze, Razakoz and tIANcI like this.
  7. UTP

UTP Forum Resident

Big fan of exposure gear as well, never heard the sugden amp. If your worrying about overheating I’d definitely get the 2010. Mine are on 24/7 and don’t even get lukewarm. The volume dial hardly ever gets past 10 to 12 and that is LOUD.

The sound... It’s just there in a very natural and easy going way. I’m listening to the music not the equipment playing it.

8. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I have the 2010 and it's great ... very transparent and neutral sound. If the track have punch, the punch is there ... if the track is dynamic ... the dynamic is there. These Elac doesn't have low sensibility or low impedance ... the 2010 will work without heat.

I don't know nothing about Sugden, but if it's class A ... will be heat without a doubt.

9. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

eloimayano likes this.
  10. eloimayano

I am upgrading from a 100$ a part kit for now. First thing I did was the speaker, I move to the amp and will finish with the source. 500$ is still 5 time more than the Harman Kardon I have right now. I will use the phono stage yes. I will have a look at the yahama; I had a vintage model a while back that was fine. Will continue looking then; thanks a lot for your input and Hooray for Giraffes? Giraffes !

11. Swann36

If it helps vintage wise i have and use a Yamaha CA1000 (MkI) its from 1974

[​IMG]

it sounds great with my TT set up as an alternative to my Minute EL34 amp (2016) ...and i then run it into either Infinity Quantum Jrs from '78 or Tannoy Berkeleys '76 or indeed Klipsch Quartets '92 ... vintage can sound fabulous as long as you dig the "sound" ...it cost me under your $500 budget for the amp ... i used it for a good while before now waiting for covid to pass or at least allow me out to get it serviced as last time was probably 20years ago or longer ....

So don't discount vintage ..there is some great gear out there ... :edthumbs:

eloimayano likes this.
  12. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

vintage ... have some "hidden"costs, like checking capacitors and probably recap.

A good amplifier in the 70s surely sounds good ... but we're talking about real good 70s amplifiers and with the circuits in their operational parameters. That kind of amplifier can be expensive because the vintage market it's tough ... or maybe find someone that doesn't know about this and sells a jewel at bananas price.

Yes, vintage can be an option ... with careful.

eloimayano and patient_ot like this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If your budget is tight check Accessories4Less for factory refurbs from big brands. $500 ought to buy something decent. Read the fine print on the return policy.

$500 for a used amp can be a good deal or a time suck/money pit. A lot depends on how old the amp is and how it was cared for.

People are in love with old receivers from the 70s (often due to the look) but they usually sound like mud IME because most people don't get them serviced. If you are experienced in working on electronics you may be able to do the work yourself and save a few bucks. If not I hope you have a good local tech and money set aside for the work.

eloimayano and aunitedlemon like this.
  14. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Big Exposure user here, replaced a full Naim system and no regrets. Tried a Sugden A21SE once and found it underpowered and not as clear. Exposure is really good value, recommend looking at the newer half-width components. XM Series (exposurehifi.com)

bluemooze, eloimayano and UTP like this.
  15. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

The poweramp surely.

16. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

Could almost bethe power amp

17. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

At some moment I'll upgrade to pre / power and the XM are on my radar.
    For a small room and 80dB sound pressure level that 70 watts monoblocks are more than enough.

18. eloimayano

I am leaning more and more toward exposure. It looks less of a hassle in terms of problems compare to 70s receiver.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Swann36

I wouldn't argue ..if you want a more guaranteed functioning piece of kit ... perhaps in times to come you can be in a position to enjoy some vintage gear

20. timind

timind phorum rezident

No speaker binding posts.

21. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

That is a good amplifier then.:edthumbs:

22. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I find the same thing listening to Exposure's entry level amplifier the 1010. I'd like to know why they discontinued that model as it's a lovely little amp.

23. hostaempresswu

hostaempresswu Well-Known Member

is there a big audible jump between the exposure 2010S and the 3010S2D ? anybody got some experiences with both of them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.