David Bowie - Brilliant LIVE Adventures (1995-1999)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

My parents only saw him once in 1990, I never had the fortune to. My mom said she regretted missing out on the Serious Moonlight, Glass Spider (why she regrets not seeing this tour I’ll never know lol), and the NIN co-headline tour, had chances to see him all those times but couldn’t for whatever reason. But in terms of the S+V tour my mom and dad always rave about his puffy white shirt, big red guitar, big screen with a huge Bowie kneeling over him in “Space Oddity,” him and Adrian Belew doing “Pretty Pink Rose,” and a very inebriated Bono coming out for the encore to help with “Gloria.” They saw it at the Blossom in Cleveland, last show before they tore it down I guess. Unfortunately they were strapped for cash and couldn’t afford shirts or a program, their one main regret.

Cat People and Fabrice Outside like this.
  2. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I of course meant 1974 and not 1964 when I wasn’t so taken with Earl Slick’s playing. To be fair though, the live sound at the Universal Amphitheater when it was open air was awful. It didn’t sound anywhere near as good there as the recording does, and I saw three of the shows. It became a completely different and better venue when they put the roof on. In the end, Slick was my second favorite guitarist I saw with DB. I never saw Tim Renwick though!

Sorry for being so off topic. There were several posts about people’s first time seeing Bowie and I felt compelled to join in!

3. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

We are all jealous, me included, I never went round the world when I finished my education but I wish I did what Stepeanut did, hindsight is a great thing.
    I missed Bowie 72/73 ( too young )
    74 , the temptation was there but only 12
    76 , why did I not go!
    78 , Once only
    83, 3 times ( inc a trip to Germany)
    87 , Once ( big mistake , not for not going , but for going!)
    89 Once
    90 Twice ( four rows from the front and he seemed in a bad mood )
    91 , Twice ( once in Paris) maybe this was around the time he proposed to Iman , wasn't that in gay Paris?
    95 , Twice
    97 , I hated drum and bass and the reason why I didn't go ( bad move )
    99, Limited tickets , didn’t go.
    02 Wish I went especially Hammersmith
    03 , 3 times
    So in all saw him 15 times, just wish I saw him 76 and a few more times in 78 , god when he sung Heroes and Ziggy then the building reverberated, obviously before then would have been fantastic especially those early Ziggy concerts before stardom in 72.

4. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Theres always ebay for the mementos , its not as if they didn't go as some people buy concert tickets to gigs they never went to, strange !

Colinjpush and OneLife like this.
  5. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

The Milton Keynes gig ( I presume you mean 1983) was one of the best concerts I ever saw , as you say sweltering hot day , and Bowie was on top form , I even remember he mentioned that someone had lost some keys and he mentioned they are probably to some swanky mayfair apartment due to the keyring , unforgettable day!

6. innuendo141

innuendo141 I want to pet your dog.

I remember the tickets for the Reality shows in Dublin were out of our price bracket back in 2003 (we were still in 5th year in school) so that was a bummer, especially as the release was from Dublin, and he seemed in such great and happy form.

Fast forward a few months and we were all set to go to the Oxegen Festival in 2004. Bowie was to headline the Sunday night. I remember getting the news while I was at my summer job to afford the ticket. I actually cried in the toilet!

The Darkness were bumped up to headline, while Muse went on before them, having been moved from the headlining spot on the second stage (which always baffled me.) Muse had 3 albums to that point, and had headlined Glastonbury the month before. The Darkness had 1 album and a couple of singles to boot. Muse were great but the Darkness was such an anticlimax in so many ways.

That's as close as I ever got to seeing Mr. Bowie.

Writing this made me sad again.

OneLife likes this.
  7. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

It's so nerve-racking waiting on these releases to announce and even more so waiting for them to arrive....I received a notice that my last order shipped nearly 2 weeks ago and the tracking number is still inactive

CBackley likes this.
  8. innuendo141

innuendo141 I want to pet your dog.

Hopefully, given the feedback, this releasing/shipping experiment will be considered a failure and we will not be subject to it again in future. There's still a good possibility some of us may arrive at the end of this with an incomplete set!

9. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Im sooo happy, im so happy. LATM cd/lp t shirt is in my hands. Lalaalalalalalalalaalalalalaalalaaal. When it will be bla 5 ann....

fak men. Parlaphone turn 48 year old man in fakin 12 year old child!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    surfling and OneLife like this.
  10. Totti is god

I saw my all time favorite., Bowie and Stones , first time in month Stones 01.08.1990,stadium 50000, and 05.09.1990 60000 stadium , Bowie

stepeanut likes this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I saw Bowie 1990 Saratoga Springs, NY when I was 14. I wish I could have seen him more but he never came back to this part of town, and I don't like the big city so I never traveled downstate to see him.

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

While I got a shipping notice from Rhino, there is no sign of LATM and tracking isn't working. Other things I had shipped from other vendors that shipped afterward have arrived.

I think the issue is using USPS via UPS...seems convoluted and causing more delays than just USPS alone.

Jake362 likes this.
  13. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Saw Bowie on the Glass Spider, Sound & Vision and Outside/NIN tours. Tried to get tickets to the local show of the Reality tour, but it was a small venue and sold out very fast.

OneLife and Curveboy like this.
  14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The shipping notice pretty much just means a label has been printed. I’ve found it can take over a week to go from that to it actually leaving the processing centre.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, next year, they don't issue a standard retail edition of the whole box set with an extra bonus disc you can only get if you're willing to re-buy the whole thing again.

16. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

you're not old , just a Rock'n'roller :righton:
    out of curiosity , is there a live album that you feel does justice to any of these '70s tours that you witnessed ?

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If they do that I think I'll light my set on fire, slowly, the way Hendrix did to his guitar at Monterey.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  18. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

You're so lucky to have seen Ronson in action ! how was it ? I always suspected the Santa Monica concert ( though one year earlier ) was a bit on the " safe " side ( because of being taped for radio ? ). Was it wilder when you saw the Spiders ? What struck you ? was Ronson upfront or more like one guy in the band ?

no problemo regarding Gabrels , I hope we can all have our preferences and cherish our memories differently.

TeddyB likes this.
  19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Parlo's been there and done that.
    It might be a decent project for Asian counterfeiters. Cd sets only and free box included for €$£ 25 or thereabouts. And if they include a bonus disc of his 50th birthday everybody will want a set.

chaz likes this.
  20. Totti is god

I received today my lp/cd/t shirt and no custom and other tax

21. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Yes it was that hot they had sprinklers out at the front. My wife and I stood all day at the very front behind three Chinese girls and due to been able to see straight over them was quite happy. 1/2 hour before Bowie was due on they left, what!!?? Just pleased I had an empty 2ltr plastic coke bottle with me!

22. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

You can almost guarantee it!

23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

They won't reissue this as a standalone set, I Wish people would stop spreading unsubstantiated rumours. They took enough flack after releasing the three singles sets in 2019 and then reissuing them as part of Conversation Piece, they are not going to do that again.

Cat People and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  24. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

Saw him twice on the Glass Spider tour in Manchester Maine Road and Sunderland Roker Park, really liked those shows.
    Then S&V at London Docklands Arena which was a bit meh, then both nights at Wembley Arena on the Reality tour which were brilliant.
    90s Bowie kind of passed me by somehow so it's interesting listening to these BLA releases.

25. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:yikes:

TeddyB likes this.