Chuck Cunningham Syndrome

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

That was explained - Barney got divorced.

Scowl and Spaghettiows like this.
  2. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Scrubs also brilliantly had JD's father (played by Ritter) die; lovely human being.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

They didn't dump Elinor Donahue, she asked to be let out of her contract, and they agreed. She had nothing but kind words about her time working on the show, but she said she felt she had little acting chemistry with Griffith, but she liked him, and the show's focus changed a bit from what she had expected (and what they told her before she started) to highlight the comedy between Andy and Don Knotts, plus she had personal problems at the time. She tells it in these clips
    youtube.com/watch?v=F768wetjbmc
    youtube.com/watch?v=F7EhI1p3Vik

But as far as the show went, she disappeared without a trace. Then the show tried a few more times to fill a girlfriend spot for Andy, trying out Joanna Moore, Susan Oliver, and Sue Ane Langdon, but for the show they didn't work right either for one reason or another, and they disappeared too.

4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

He did not get divorced, they separated for awhile. But they get back together and she is in a few episodes later on.

5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Roy??

6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think that if Downey had stayed it might have extended the life of the series. The two characters seemed to work well together, and it might have been a way for Ally to recover from the loss of Billy. According to Wikipedia, the plan was to have Ally and Larry marry.

7. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

One of the poker playing buddies. Murray (Al Molinaro) got featured regularly. Vinnie and Speed were brought back a bit, but not used as much as 1st season. Roy was dropped after the first season.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

One of the poker buddies, Oscar's accountant.

9. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

For something that's supposed to be such a classic, The Odd Couple was an awfully thin concept for a series. Other than they lived together, what? Yes, they had jobs, but that wasn't the primary focus of the show.

They were both professional men. Was their alimony/child support that bad that they couldn't afford their own place? You couldn't pay me to take on a roommate at that age. Most people are going to want privacy, "Odd Couple" or no odd couple.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Like most classic sitcoms, it's a classic because of the actors and the writing, not because of the setup.

11. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

They still had a reliance on episodes featuring Billie Jean King and Howard Cosell. How many episodes can you do of them playing poker?

12. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Christina Moore was a LOT more beautiful than Lisa Robin Kelly (the original sister), but she wasn't nearly as funny.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

That's one of my complaints about Big Bang Theory. Why are those two guys living together? They're both physicists -- what, neither one can afford to pay rent for apartments by themselves on a physicist's salary? Ridiculous. And there's no amount of money on earth you could pay me that would get me to agree to live with someone like Sheldon.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    musicfan37, bekayne and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

I remember one writer at the time saying the play/movie only had them together for a few weeks and he asked rhetorically “what can I do next...have one of them get pregnant?”. It was a show on the verge of being cancelled every season but summer reruns saved it. It found its legs in re-runs. Klugman and Randall, while not enemies in real life, became closer in the late 1980s when Klugman had cancer.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

If I'm remembering right, the premise is that Felix doesn't want to get his own place because he is certain that the arrangement is temporary, that his wife will relent and take him back. I just checked, and in the end she does.

16. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Great show but I didn’t like it without Phil.

musicfan37 likes this.
  17. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

18. Solitaire1

I think this is a case of a situation which is fine for a movie, but takes a bit of stretching to make it into a long-running sitcom. However, sometimes it works (like with The Odd Couple).

uzn007 likes this.
  19. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Donna's sister on that 70's show, her only appearance:

Matthew Tate and Scope J like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeoman Janice Rand was reassigned off the Enterprise early-on. Necessary personal issues there. But, she did get to re-appear elsewhere in a couple of the Trek films, but of course nothing was spoken of her when she was just beamed-off the show.

Poor thing - lost her gig, and she didn't even have a red shirt on. :shake:

Ensign Ro at least got a proper sendoff, a generation later.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Yeoman Janice Rand was a red shirt (or red dress).
    [​IMG]

22. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

As durable as the Odd Couple property has been, it's a remarkably thin concept. Felix moves in, and everything is marking time until he moves out. Oscar messes up his place again, and that's all you need to see. Oscar has no meaningful definition outside of his relationship with Felix and vice versa, and the characters are not amenable to developing a strong supporting cast. As opposed to something like Laverne and Shirley, similar roommate concept that was able to develop a supporting cast. OR M*A*S*H or Alice, also developed from movies, but with more specific settings that could be developed. Odd Couple is a neat guy and messy guy in an apartment, and that's it. Probably why it's gotten adapted so much, it's impossible to really screw it up.

I think if it had come along a few years later, the divorced dad ideas would be built out a lot more than they were at that time. I suppose the homosexual implications as well, as those close of the Klugman/Randall version was about the end of the era where that could go without mention.

23. Solitaire1

The Odd Couple does seem very adaptable. One version I faintly remember is The Oddball Couple, an animated series by Depatie-Freleng. They took the the neat/messy aspect and pushed it, with the characters living in a home that was divided down the middle, one side was a pristine mansion, and the other side was (per Wikipedia) a dilapidated shack.

uzn007 likes this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The first scene of the first episode of every season of Homicide: Life on the Street starts with two detectives explaining why certain cast members have disappeared (on suspension, eloped, AWOL etc)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Then there was Police Story, where every week, every episode, the characters from the last episode disappeared. :hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.