The Outlaws-An Open Discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Aug 26, 2019.

1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

carlwm likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've been in touch with Harvey Dalton Arnold on social media, trying to find details about his solo records. Very prompt and genial replies.

clhboa, Michael and slipkid like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

nice!

MYQ1 likes this.
  4. Michael

well that's cool and makes me happy for you and us!

carlwm likes this.
  5. Michael

IIRC, didn't Hughie pass peacefully at home? damn same so young! he had so much more left!

carlwm likes this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, according to wikipedia at least he had the heart attack while sleeping in bed at home, and was only 55.

I don't know how "peaceful" it was, but all things considered it is about a good a way to go as any (better than lingering on with cancer and going through months of torture like I have witnessed happen to various friends and family members).

I say that from experience since the same thing happened to me. Mine started while I was asleep, around same age as him, woke up soaked in sweat at 2AM, felt sicker than I ever have in my life but had no idea what was wrong with me, no pain per se, did not know it was a heart attack, just got up and threw cold water on my face, went back to sleep since I had to get up for work at 5am, and rather than call off work since that is just so unacceptable and unthinkable at my godawful workplace where we workers are treated like expendable machine parts I went into work anyways instead of going to a Dr (I figured I would just struggle through whatever it was for 2 days until my next day off then call the Dr). I then collapsed right after I clocked in and was taken to a local hospital, not going into whole story here but ended up needing immediate open heart surgery to save my life. Luckily I guess their heart surgeon wasn't busy cutting into someone else at the time and he could attend to me. My cardiologist back then told me multiple times I should be dead. My answer to him always was "as far as I am concerned I probably am and this is all just purgatory/a dream of some kind anyway, and how do I even know you are even real anyways???".

But it is not that uncommon to get hit by this in your 50's. Three months after my fun one of my friends from high school had a heart attack and died, his wife came home from work and found him dead on the kitchen floor. That could've been me if I had not gone into work where people were able to "save" me...

pool_of_tears likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Very sad. A small comfort that it was, at least, peaceful.

We all missed out on the Once An Outlaw album, which was recorded just before he died. I've heard a bootleg and the songs were excellent. I'm sure he would have had a lot more great songs to come too.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

Indeed...I heard that as well...never heard the boot of that. Why wasn't it released? at least by his family.

carlwm likes this.
  9. Michael

scary story...glad you are ok! just Incredible...

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx. You don't know the half of it. Not wanting to clog up an Outlaws thread like my arteries though.

Michael and Cousin Stanley like this.
  11. Michael

Hey my friend we are here for you! clog all you want...: ) mindblowing from what you told us already.

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Damn!

13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I met both Henry and Hughie after a show in 1988 (Soldiers Of Fortune tour). Henry was extremely friendly and seemed rather jazzed that I mentioned that I was glad they played 2 Henry Paul Band songs that evening. Hughie was out behind the club talking with fans and handing out guitar picks. Got a pick and asked him about David Dix's absence. He said that David had "jumped ship". Got both of their autographs. Saw the band twice on that tour. They were fantastic both times.

slipkid, carlwm and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

I know! geez....

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

All I can say is, if something even slightly unusual happens, seek help immediately.

slipkid and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

indeed they were...never got the pick thing...I was playing at the Lone Star Cafe in NYC years back and a guy in the audience asked for my pick...I didn't get why he wanted it...seriously.

17. Michael

if you can...IMMEDIATELY! yes...

slipkid likes this.
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

It's the only pick I ever got. The fact that it said "The Outlaws" on it made it pretty cool. I would have never asked but he had a a handful of them and was giving them out so what the hell? Glad I got it now that he's gone.

carlwm and Michael like this.
  19. Michael

I agree 100%! a very sentimental item direct from Hughie and it said Outlaws on it...even cooler. I guess I get the pick thing now! ; ) yea, I'll bet you are glad you did...: ) too cool man.

carlwm likes this.
  20. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Always wondered if he was ever approached to rejoin The Outlaws for one of their many transformations over the years.

Michael and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Interesting question!

Michael and clhboa like this.
  22. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Nice feature about the Rockpalast release including an interview with Freddie Salem in
    the latest issue of Goldmine.

Michael, clhboa and slipkid like this.
  23. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yes, it was a good interview. I gather Freddie was the driving force behind this release.

carlwm and Michael like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I don't want to clog up this thread with health stuff, mine or in general but want to say two things:

(1) Anyone with heart issues or questions feel free to contact me direct & I will answer anything you want from my perspective. I've been through a lot and am active on a heart forum and have learned more that way than anything from Dr's. I have bad cholesterol levels, my Dad died of heart attack in his 40s (all my male blood relatives died of heart problems), I had a heart attack due to 90% blocked major artery feeding two other arteries, plus I had a bad aortic valve which needed to be replaced (again very long story)...

(2) The #1 clue - which I did not know about - that you have impending heart probs due to clogged arteries is shortness of breath. Which I had really really really bad months b4 I had the heart attack. I DID go to my (idiot) Dr but he misdiagnosed me due to his assistant having me do a breath displacement test INCORRECTLY which I later figured out for myself they did it wrong & TOLD HIM THAT (long story) but he still stuck with his wrong diagnosis of COPD instead of getting my heart checked. If you feel like you get out of breath too easily you need to get some special (ez) tests relating to your heart to make sure you don't have any blockages or other heart issues (I had both blocked arteries and a bad valve which was a bit of a double whammy so to speak).

Michael likes this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I did not read the interview but kind of figured that since he is featured prominently on the cover & wrote the liner notes if I remember right.

Michael likes this.