Gyrodec/Tecnoarm or Rega P10?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oobaa, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oobaa

oobaa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm in the market for a new turntable to replace my tecnodec/RB330 and would be really interested in any views to help make the decision...
    Option 1: Less expensive and I know I like it
    Gyrodec SE and Tecnoarm (or maybe an RB880) - used to own a Gyrodec and RB300 and loved it.

Option 2: Expensive but modern, but I can't audition in lockdown
    P10 with Apheta3 - downside is that I'd have to upgrade my phono pre to make the move to MC. The Apheta3 is significantly less expensive in a bundle than separately.

All opinions, view, suggestions welcomed!!

2. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Have you looked at Acoustic Signature?

They make both tt and arms in house located in Germany

oobaa likes this.
  3. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I absolutely love my Gyro SE with o-ring suspension ( similar to the ones SME tables have) in stead of original spring suspension. It is a separate upgrade by Truepoint audio (ca. 200€). I also love the HR PSU and Orbe clamp on the SE. I am using a SME IV arm.
    Unfortunately I haven’t heard the RP10.

33na3rd, MGW and oobaa like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

What a tough choice, both great decks and there really isn't a wrong answer, I guess it comes down to budget and how important the beauty of the Gyro SE is to you, I used to own a Gyro SE and TechnoArm , I would say the HR power supply is essential and a big upgrade, it's a fantastic deck, I sold mine to a friend and before lockdown I'd still go round and be impressed by how good it sounds, I replaced it with an Orbe/SME IV. I haven't spent any real time with the P10, but did have a decent listen to the previous RP10 and although I never got to hear it side by side with a Michell it sounded fantastic and my instinct is better than a Gyro/TechnoArm. You are considering spending a lot of money I think you should wait until shops open and spend a couple of hours in a listening room with both decks, the same phono stage/system and ideally identical carts, I'd lean towards the Rega being your choice, but wouldn't be surprised if it was the Michell, at the end of the day a head to head is the only way to decide such a close contest.

Finally I'd just add that the Rega is a complete package, the Michell can be upgraded with a better arm, Orbe clamp etc., though my feeling is that you can go too far with changing a Gyro, if you want an Orbe just save longer and buy one to start with rather than throwing lots of money at a Gyro.

myles, sotosound, MGW and 2 others like this.
  5. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I'm very much a 'Rega man' but I'd go for the Gyro without hesitation. - I used to own the full-spec Gyrodec/RB300 with the QC power supply and I sold it 15 years ago. I've wanted one again ever since (but can't afford it..!).

33na3rd, oobaa and GyroSE like this.
  6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

As Dubmart mentions the Gyro SE is a much more versatile turntable than the P10. The Rega concept is more plug-and-play, the P10 is an excellent turntable though as is the P8 that actually might be the sweetspot in their model programme.

7. oobaa

must admit "capable of meddling with" sounds more interesting than "plug 'n' play" :)

GyroSE likes this.
  8. oobaa

The Orbe was on my contenders list and is within budget if I don't go mad with my arm choice.... hmmmmmm
    A listening session makes good sense... I just need to rediscover my "be patient button"

Andy Saunders likes this.
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Having owned and used both a Gyro SE and an Orbe side by side I'd say the Orbe is noticeably better and a better choice even for more money and with a lesser arm, I'd get the Orbe over the Gyro, GyroSE who posted above owns both decks so perhaps he'll share his opinion. Whether the Orbe is better than the Rega is a different question and one you need to decide for yourself, after listening to both, I'm more than happy with my Orbe for what it's worth and wouldn't swap, but likewise I'm sure most Rega owners wouldn't swap their P10s.

I'd just add that although there is a synergy with SME arms Orbes work really well with almost all good arms and if you can fit the TechnoArm into your Orbe budget it's a great combination without breaking the bank.

10. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I agree. Both of these decks (Gyro SE and Orbe SE) have a lot of potential built in but I think it's a little special when it comes to the Gyro. I started my journey with Michell decks a little over 13 years ago with the Gyro SE and the "humble" Rega RB300, next upgrade was the TechnoArm and my final upgrade the SME IV. All these tonearms brought the best out of the Gyro SE at each level but I must say that I for the first time really understood this decks full potential when I had mounted the SME IV on it. This is truly a killer combination. But I must admit that when the Gyro is combined with the RB300 it's a stellar performer and I really enjoyed the sound that these two presented together, this is an affordable package that one easily could enjoy for life. The Gyro is an excellent platform that's upgradeable in to the high end territory, almost every 9" tonearm on the market is compatible with this deck so the sky is the limit. Its ability to really top perform on every level is the greatness of this deck IMHO.

To these ears the Orbe is without question better than the Gyro soundwise but that doesn't automatically make the Gyro look bad in comparison. The Gyro is an excellent performer in its price bracket and it's really amazing that it now almost 40 years after it was born still is one of the top turntables in its class. My main deck is now the Orbe but I still love my Gyro very much.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    caracallac, MGW, LakeMountain and 2 others like this.
  11. oobaa

am I allowed to add aesthetics into my decision making :)
    don't shout at me
    There is something about the Gyrodec...

33na3rd, Andy Saunders, GyroT and 4 others like this.
  12. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I totally agree. :agree:

oobaa likes this.
  13. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

The nice thing about the Gyro is indeed that it upgradable to new levels. The suspension upgrade is a must in my mind.
    After that upgrade I had the feeling that I don’t miss anything in sound - which is not really true because it can always get better. The HR power supply adds as well. I also love the Orbe clamp, as it controls minor warps and improves the contact to the vinyl type platter.
    There are more options with the Gyrodec Acrylic base, tonearm platforms with brass inlays, ceramic bearings and another PSU (Truepoint audio).

33na3rd and oobaa like this.
  14. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

Some from column A, some from column B.

I'd go with the Gyro but put a Rega RB3000 arm on it. The RB880 is OK, but mostly meh. The RB3000 and it's predecessor the RB2000 are much, much better arms and sound way better. I went from an RB900 to an RB2000 a few years ago ad the difference was huge.

oobaa likes this.
  15. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I love my Gyro SE. It started out as a Gyrodec Bronze (I have had it since 1997!) and last year I converted it to SE and added the DC motor/HR PSU (I had the AC and QC PSU previously). I had already added the Orbe clamp kit.
    Plus points:
    1. It is easily upgradeable.
    2. Looks fabulous.
    The Rega is not so easily upgradeable and I do not like the looks so much.

Downsides to the Gyro:
    1. It is not fit and forget like the Rega, which is not an issue for me.

You could easily start with the Gyro SE and Rega arm, add the Orbe Clamp kit (£100) later, then the HR PSU (£500) and finally seek a used SME arm from a trusted dealer who will service it for you. That for me would be the clincher, that it can be so readily upgraded.

Add to that as you live in London, Michell are just up the road from you and Steve who runs the show is a real pleasure to deal with (I have no experience of dealing with Rega).

I would also suggest, as have others, to wait until you can audition and make an informed choice.

billby, 33na3rd, oobaa and 1 other person like this.
  16. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

All things considered, the Rega is a better table. I had a Gyro SE with HR PSU, SME 309 tonearm. I now own a Rega P8, and wouldn't go back. I love the Gyro, but for me it does not meet the same performance envelope as a P8/P10.

oobaa likes this.
  17. oobaa

Narrowing down and a with the help of a friendly dealer...
    Gyrodec SE
    a tecnoarm2 and rb3000 to compare at home
    Keep my Exact until funds allow upgrade of cart and phono stage
    might stretch to an Aria Mk3 but will probably wait until I can listen to a few

18. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

How about the Planar 8 / Apheta and the Aria phono stage? I bought this great system last summer and feel like I have realized vinyl Nirvana.

Dmann201, oobaa and GyroSE like this.
  19. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Also that Rega is Butt ugly.... however l am biased :hide:

The obvious answer is a demo of both decks, however The Gyro is endlessly upgradable- those TP Pylons elevate the the performance of the deck considerably, then the HR PSU, Orbe clamp, better tone arm etc.

Any way take your time and good luck.:righton:

LakeMountain and oobaa like this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I would either get the Planar 10 or the SE with the O-ring pylon mod kit, and the RB3000. Either way, you get the amazing RB3000!
    -Bill

33na3rd, oobaa and lplover like this.
  21. oobaa

Button pressed on a silver SE and tecnoarm2!
    now to start the penny jar for a new phono stage and cart :)

Waiting for True Point to get back to me about a PSU

LakeMountain, gov, myles and 2 others like this.
  22. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I am disenchanted with Rega's QC.

23. billby

billby Forum Resident

I've owned both for extended periods, Technodec w/ rega and technoarms, then full gyro w/ SME. Still have my P3 from late 90's. Just bulletproof product from these brands.
    They're different - opposite approaches. Rega firmly in the streamlined/ set forget camp while Michell, once set up is the same will be a tweakers dream if you are into it.
    I would say that space and set up are what come into play here, not sonics. Although the Michell would be considered a more "hifi" audiophile sound and the Rega as always known for kicking out jams. Rega with JBL, Michell with Harbeths so to speak. That's been my experience, if i had to choose which to own again it would be Rega hands down. They keep moving forward with exciting designs. Michell have always seemed to produce static legacy products even when new.

24. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

Really cannot comment on higher-end regas, but for what it's worth: I've lived with a fully modded Rega p3-24, with TT PSU, groovetracer subplatter, tecnoweight and nice acrylic platter - which all elevated the sound significantly over stock.

Then bought the gyrodec and for some time used it with tge same arm and cartridge (denon dl-110). Much preffered tge Gyro...way more natural sound, much better texture and timbre of sound, more spacious sound and a "calmer" presentation of music.

You'll be happy with your Gyro. A great base that can be taken very far. Take care with the setup. And I agree with above comment about Truepoint pylons. Very worthwhile.

P.S. just to be clear: I think regas, starting with the P3 are great decks. Loved my p3-24.

oobaa, billby and 33na3rd like this.
  25. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

Absolutely true. I am extremely impressed with the P8. I cannot imagine ever needing anything else. It is absolutely noiseless, has fantastic isolation feet, runs at a consistent 33 1/3 or 45 rpm at the touch of a button, has a fantastic tone arm... what else? Oh yeah... 1/3rd the price of the P10.

GyroSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.