Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have heard some say these sessions top the blackhawk. But there is debate. Do you have a preference and is there a difference in what the band was trying to do ?

2. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

@SeeDubs I heard this years ago but in all honesty I probably didn’t listen to the whole album. I recently purchased the Analogue Productions 45, which sounds great by the way, and aside from the various time signatures (it helps to be a musician to understand them, which I am not), there is some outstanding music on here. Leaving aside Take Five, Blue Rondo and Strange Meadow Lark really grabbed me this time around.

I know the tendency is to say forget it when something doesn’t grab you but sometimes you need to let music sit and percolate in your head. This has happened to me and in some cases I probably wasn’t ready for it when I first listened to it.

3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I prefer the Black Hawk song selection but prefer the band on the Manne-Hole concerts. Conte Candoli and Russ Freeman shine on trumpet and piano at the Manne-Hole.

Stu02 likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Eliane Elias "Impulsive--Eliane Elias, Bob Brookmeyer & the Danish Radio Jazz Orchestra play the music of Eliane Elias"

[​IMG]

Saw the cover and had to pop this in. It has all the right elements for this morning. . . great sound, great playing and interesting compositions.

5. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Electric Masada At the Mountains of Madness (Tzadik)

6. Thanks @Tribute - Agreed. Music-first. I may start with the Lester Young CD as a first step into the Keynote catalog.

Regarding Dave Brubeck's Time Out revealing its appeal over time, I'd second that, and suggest that Brubeck's catalog is one I've come around to more and more.

This week I'm listening to a Brubeck bio which is whetting my appetite for another Brubeck-athon. Incidentally, for those that haven't read Philip Clark's well-researched, thoughtful and engaging assessment of Brubeck's life and work, I can recommend it. I'm digesting via audio book, with an American narrator which is odd given Clark is a Brit like me (born same year). But I got past that, and am enjoying learning about the seminal moments in his life.

[​IMG]

7. NP: Charlie Haden - Magico (ECM US 1980)

First listen and while not a fan of Garbarek, the other two players I enjoy, and perhaps in the right company, Garbarek's sax suits me more.
    A mellow way to start the week.

[​IMG]

8. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

The Gould performances are also on YouTube. I'm listening now.

9. nostromo53

nostromo53 Bon Vivant-At-Large

Re: Earl Bostic

I had read an anecdote, perhaps apocryphal, that Bostic could tell you just about everything about a sax just by hearing it. Make , model, year, you name it.

10. Lonson

Beverly Kelly "Bev Kelly In Person" Riverside/OJC cd
    [​IMG]
    Alto Saxophone – "Pony" Poindexter
    Bass – Johnny Allen
    Design – Ken Deardoff
    Drums – Tony Johnson
    Piano – "Flip" Nunez
    Vocals – Bev Kelly

11. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Listening to Early Bebop. Some fine scatting by Buddy Stewart and Dave Lambert (who later was part of Lambert Hendrix and Ross) Nice liner notes from Dan Morgenstern, who wrote the book for the LP set together with Bob Porter. The book contains an introduction by Harry Lim.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  12. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Leon Thomas with a combo led by Oliver Nelson at the finest European jazz festival of the age, in my humble opinion, with the due respect to Montreux.

13. Same here. Just back from a walk with snow falling in New England, and thankfully today is a home office schedule with more music than virtual meetings.
    But some days are back-to-back.

NP: Houston Person - Stolen Sweets (Muse 1977)

I picked up three Person LPs over the weekend so will be checking out these groovy sets.
    Stolen Sweets swings, and wouldn't be out of place on soul-jazz era Blue Note.
    The cover model looks like the cut off jeans are chaffing.
    There's a whole oeuvre of sultry album covers along these lines, particularly in the 70s.
    [​IMG]

14. MCA DLP-3206 [Japan] - Eddie Costa " The House Of Blue Lights" - rec. 1959 (Original on DOT)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MOSAIC MD 5-198 Gerald Wilson and his Orchestra " The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings" - rec. 1961 -1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

[​IMG]

What would make a man who knows he is deathly sick want to go back and play his horn and record music? Its the freedom that such artistry brings. I've read some place, To play Jazz as a musician is to be free, because you have to create right there on the spot. (Ever heard of Charlie "Bird" Parker? He was so free he was able to create like no other at the time....how about a Glen Campbell concert during his sickness. It was said his solo's playing of his guitar was creating art on the spot) But creating on the spot is more so in Jazz music than any other art form. Because you feed off the mood and others in teh band... creating off those who are creating off you, you create art...and that feeling of creating and making art is what many musicians, especially Jazz musician call freedom. You don't have any restrictions in what you do or what you say, just feel, feed and create. If you ever saw Keith Jarrett with his moaning and screaming, He was free, creating on the spot .So Ike went back despite his sickness he felt free....Armstrong....."Pops" he was called, frail as he was, went back having to be helped upon that stage so he could be free. Freedom is the ultimate goal in this country, tho supposedly built on freedoms from the "King" at the time, is still striving to make the freedom she has equal to all. The slaves spirituals songs, as they sang them, despite being slaves with no freedom, was never a time they felt more free apart from their music. So that's what makes musicians like Ike Quebec, Louis Armstrong, Paul Desmond and a host of others who know their life cycle is about to expire go back and play. You cant hardly inspire them to do much of anything but create art/freedom.

So what we have here in Ike quebec's "Soul Samba" is his last record before his death which came 4 months later. Lung cancer took his life. His playing is so beautiful, sultry, romantic on this album. Its ART! but listen closely.....what you hear is really the blues dressed up as Bossa Nova Jazz. Yes sir as he plays, he is free! And the supporting cast is also excellent. Back then lots of Jazz cats were playing Bossa Nova...Getz, Jobim, Gilberto, Dizzy and others. But in Ike's own words he said " I had been listening around and I liked what some of the Jazz Musicians where doing with this thing. But I decided I wanted to put more grease to it, more of a blues feeling, more sensuality. That's why this album came out sounding like dancing at night. We were moaning more than most of the others who play bossa nova...we made it soft and soulful".

Without getting to long winded, Ike came out the Big Band era in the 40's. He had a sound sorta in the Colman Hawkins/ Ben Webst style but softer. He played with a lot of bravado. After the big band era faded, so did Ike. He did make a come back for a period of time but died at the age of 44. He didn't make a lot of records and is one of the most underrated sax musicians because of it. There's a lot of stuff I left out, but you jazz buffs can easily discover his life and music if you're interested and willing. You know me, I'm going to sit down and listen to some records now, but Ike Quebec "Soul Samba" is more than worthy of adding to your collection...I give it 5 stars.

Ike Quebec "Soul Samba"

Ike Quebec..............sax
    Kenny Burrell...........guitar
    Wendell Marshall.....Bass
    Willie Bobo...............drums
    Garvin Masseaux.... chekere

Blue Note Records 1962

Reissue 2009 Analogue Production

funknik, Berthold, Irish51 and 12 others like this.
  17. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Ode to the Living Tree
    Andrew Cyrille Quintet
    Japanese Venus Records

David Murray Tenor
    Oliver Lake Alto
    Adegoke Steve Colson Electric Piano
    Fred Hopkins Bass
    Andrew Cyrille Drums
    1994 session in Senegal
    I guess description borderline in/out is accurate. I would agree it’s tamer than most Cyrille. Definitely post bop to my ears.
    Pretty brave to cover Trane’s A Love Supreme
    “Acknowledgement & Resolution”.
    David Murray keeps it interesting. I need more listening to form a definitive opinion.

18. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Love me some David Murray! Going to have to look that one up!

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  19. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings (Impulse! IMPD4-232)

Daily dose of Coltrane. Disc three currently playing.

[​IMG]

20. Lonson

I agree . . .this is one of my favorite Blue Notes, and one of the best sounding I have in the digital realm. I've been enjoying it for decades now!

Ike did important work as the A&R man assisting Alfred Lion in his final years. If only we could have had him longer!

21. Lonson

Miles Davis "Big Fun"
    [​IMG]
    I had a hankering to hear "Lonely Fire." And it sounds best on LP so I got out my OG 2 LP set.

22. NP: John Surman - Upon Reflection (ECM 1979)

At first, I thought, "Where are the other instrumentalists I'm hearing?" - then I realized Surman is multi-tracking his four instruments. Nice!
    • Soprano Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Bass Clarinet, Synthesizer, Composed By – John Surman
    [​IMG]

Anyone heard the self-released duo with Surman's son Ben?
    I'll check out the one track on YouTube, but this album isn't on the streaming services.
    I've been enjoying Surman's Anouar Brahem collaboration also.

[​IMG]

23. Lonson

Bill Barron "Higher Ground"
    [​IMG]

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Better yet then get a copy of John McLaughlin The Heart of Things Live in Paris, P-Funk Allstars Live at the Beverly Theater Hollywood or even something by the organ trio Niacin.

jay.dee, Slippers-on and Fischman like this.
  25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

And note to all: if you want to hear Dennis Chambers kicking it with the P Funk Allstars at the Beverly Theater in 1983 (and I got to see Chambers with the AllStars a bunch, so, I can say form first-hand experience you DO want to hear that), you have to get the edition of the recording with the version of "Loopzilla" they recorded that night and that Westwood One aired but which wasn't on the Westbound release (it certainly circulated though maybe not on a commercial release). The highlight of that show. Chambers is great, the P Funk Horns are great, and the nuclear guitar meltdown from Blackbyrd McKnight is incendiary!

jay.dee, Fischman, bjlefebvre and 3 others like this.