The Michael Nesmith Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NudieSuitNezHead, Feb 22, 2021.

1. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters... Thread Starter

Michael Nesmith is SO much more than just a Monkee. Prior to The Monkees, he was a musician and singer-songwriter. After the Monkees, he was also a record, television, and film producer. He was a media visionary. He created the first music video, which helped launch MTV. He helped develop the concept of home video and created the first company to distribute home videos to the consumer market. He's an author. He's the jack of all media trades.

So with that in mind, let's show our appreciation for Papa Nez!

Skydog7, The Revealer, Iving and 22 others like this.
  2. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Who can forget.... He authored "Different Drum." Made famous of course by The Stone Poneys (Linda Ronstadt).

3. NudieSuitNezHead

He pretty much launched Linda Ronstadt's career with that song.

4. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

Big fan of some of his early solo albums, though tbh they don’t get played that often of late.

Iving and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  5. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Really enjoyed Infinite Tuesday!

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Great thread. People have no idea what an innovator he was. Gram Parsons gets all the credit that is due Mike.

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A real visionary who deserves more public recognition.

Iving, Hep Alien, TonyACT and 6 others like this.
  8. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Here's Nez before the Monkees.

9. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

The real pioneer of country rock. I know the Byrds and Burrito Brothers deserve their credit, but Nesmith was there first, and truly emphasized the pedal steel to sterling effect. One of the best country songwriters of that era.
    I can't wait to hear what Christian is putting together with Micky for the upcoming Dolenz sings Nesmith album.

10. NudieSuitNezHead

It's really good. I really need to read it again because it's got a lot in there. I have it on audiobook because he narrates it and he has a nice, calm voice.

Keith V, Crimson Witch and D-rock like this.
  11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm constantly impressed with what he was able (allowed) to do on Monkees records.. The experimentation.. where did he come up with all this? The country psychedelia on some of those tracks. His first 3 solo albums are gems. Tropical Campfires. Nesmith is SUPER important.

12. NudieSuitNezHead

I can't wait for Dolenz Sings Nesmith, either! Nez's music helped introduce me to the magic that is the pedal steel guitar. I've always liked the sound of it, but Nez's music made me pay attention to it.

13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

..and his mother invented Liquid Paper!

Now that we have got that out of the way...

I'm not much of a country fan but I really liked wat he brought to country. I think the first song I heard him do after splitting from the Monkees was "Joanne", and when I listen to that again it still has a kind of magical sound. It could be said that he paved the way for people like The Eagles and John Denver.

Even when he does an old song written by somebody else, eg "Beyond the Blue Horizon", he seems to do it better than anybody else. I would not say he has a great voice, but somehow it seems a perfect fit for the stuff he chooses to sing.

Iving, Ginger Ale, TonyACT and 3 others like this.
  14. NudieSuitNezHead

The Eagles "borrowed" their rendition of "Seven Bridges Road" from Nez's production and arrangement of Ian Matthews' version from Valley-Hi:

15. NudieSuitNezHead

Agreed! It's a crying shame that the PTW of the music department of The Monkees didn't appreciate Nez more.

FuturisticWorkshop and D-rock like this.
  16. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

I listened to a live interview with him back in 2017 on Coast to Coast AM. It was interesting to say the least. IIRC he mentioned an encounter about randomly crossing paths with another famous person at some remote gas station in the desert but I can remember who the other person was.

Michael Nesmith Life & Times/ Open Lines | Coast to Coast AM

17. NudieSuitNezHead

I've listened to that interview too. I can't recall the famous person, either.

18. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

I'm a fan of liquid paper. Does that count?

Actually, I really like The First National Band - the inspired mix of country and whatever else that he infused those early solo records with.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Ginger Ale, TonyACT, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  19. NudieSuitNezHead

He used a lot of Latin infusions.

20. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Yes, the subtle Latin rhythms always sound great - very natural - perhaps the Texas in him.
    Stephen Stills spent some of his childhood in Panama and his Latin rhythms also feel very natural.

21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Michael Nesmith's music is what drew me into The Monkees. I started realizing it was all his songs I enjoyed the most on the show. Then to find out he wrote them .. that just made me a bigger fan. I would consider Nez to be a Musical Genius.

Out of all his work, I think the most profound piece of work he created is "The Prison: A Book with a Soundtrack". (My preference is the 1990 remaster/remix).

jmc9091, Hep Alien, RobRoyF and 3 others like this.
  22. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

That’s funny was just jamming this LP that’s been sitting in a pile for a year or so of Goodwill scores and I saw this thread. It’s a burner. I’m surprised how good it is. All my faves from the studio LPs but different pacing. Some faster some slowed down. It’s going to see a few more spins in the near future.

Michael Nesmith – Live At The Palais (1978, Terre Haute Press, Vinyl)

Guy is a treasure. He’s on my list to see live after missing the last time he came to Oregon. I have 3-4 of his solo LPs. Can’t go wrong with the First National Band trilogy: Nevada Fighter, Loose Salute, and Magnetic South. Some amazing tracks on those! Wish my copies weren’t so worn. All cutouts I picked up for a few dollars. OJ ‘Red’ Rhodes is an amazing pedal steel player.

I need to check out his other records. I do have Infinite Rider on cassette and never got into it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  23. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Although I stated that The Monkees are my favourite group (in The Monkees thread), it is really because of Michael Nesmith. Most of the best songs on their albums are mainly his or ones where he had an input. I went on to buy all his albums, which, living in the UK, was not always straightforward when some weren't released here. It's strange that I like his music so much but am not necessarily a big fan of country music, probably because he doesn't/didn't follow the traditional conventions.

I wonder how he would be regarded if he hadn't been part of The Monkees.

D-rock and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  24. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I always liked his hat.

25. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Yup.... That album cover shot (Evergreen Vol. 2) didn't hurt either. :)

cwitt1980 and NudieSuitNezHead like this.