Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

Changing over to John... I think I know what to expect with the evolution and elements mixes. But what about the other new stuff. Is there enough there to keep bringing you back?

2. Yes those songs you list were not POB. They were after.

Surferghost likes this.
  3. green_ovation

No they are all credited to John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band, in some form. The Imagine album was credited to John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band with the Flux Fiddlers, Mind Games to John Lennon & The Plastic U.F.Ono Band and Walls And Bridges to John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Nuclear Band. They’re listed that way in the albums, some of the singles, and even in the streaming services.
    Shaved Fish is also credited to John Lennon Plastic Ono Band.
    Yoko’s album Feeling The Space? Also credited to Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band
    If you mean the POB albums, there was only one single, which she does indeed get the b-side.
    The Plastic Ono Band was ongoing with both artists, up until they left the business in 1975.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Paul H likes this.
  4. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

All this talk about this set made me pull out the Imagine set and I must say I really enjoyed listening to everything in 5.1. However I came across something I never noticed before (or forgot as it has been awhile since I’ve listened to the BluRay discs). BluRay 1 does not have a 5.1 option for the Album outtakes and singles outtakes(even though it listed on the back cover track listing on the box)It just has the 5.1 option for the album and singles. When I listened to BluRay 2 I noticed the 5.1 option was available for the raw studio mixes extended album versions as well as the raw studio mixes outtakes and the elements mixes. The evolution documentary didn’t have a 5.1 option and it doesn’t list one on the back of the box track listing. So my question is do I have a BluRay 1 defect or is it a mistake on the track listing? Does everyone have the same scenario with their BluRay 1 or is it just me? Thanks

5. Only the proper album is 5.1

Wingsfan2012 and Karl Denver like this.
  6. Karl Denver

Thanks Mazzy!

7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

For the record, I was not talking about this specific thread or any specific user. I was referencing virtually every single Yoko conversation on this forum. Yoko bashers get away with a hell of a lot of thread-crapping and ignorant commentary that would normally be deleted in a flash if it was about any other artist. Lots of ruined threads and nobody complaining about it.

It’s also annoying how Beatles fans think they are seasoned comedians whenever the subject of Yoko comes up and they will become hysterical that they have to be “forced” to listen to her. There’s a lot of gaslighting going on too. Certain people will make snide comments but then try to turn the conversation around to make Yoko’s defenders look bad.

That’s why I like the fact that Yoko’s material will be included. The haters deserve it.

8. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

Steve Hoffman forums: Where a bunch of 60 year olds can relive being six.

csnfan, Tyler, mcallister and 14 others like this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm just happy as a Yoko fan, especially when her (seemingly stalled) reissue campaign offered very little for a longtime fan (three Yoko outtakes/vault tracks have been released in the past few years, only one of which was actually part of that reissue series!)

10. green_ovation

I don’t see Yoko bashers getting away with anything Yoko defenders are not also getting away with. I’ve seen them say hateful things about all 4 ex-Beatles, not necessarily on this thread but on this forum. Especially poor Ringo. Nobody ever comes to his defense. And he’s had a far better career than she has, in all honesty. They all have.

But I digress, back to Yoko...She’s got 12 tracks on a 159 track collection (from what I understand, mostly tucked away nicely on the Blu-rays. Some may make it to the CDs, which is fine).That should not be enough to make it or ruin it for anyone. I have YO/POB and it’s never been that great to me. It is just OK to me, but I’m not in on the same trip a few people here are. I think she did far better in later years personally. Also, I’m not a fan of long jams by anyone, so knowing there are 20 minute versions of some of these isn’t exactly thrilling to me. That said, I love her early b-sides, Remember Love, Don't Worry Kyoko and Who Has Seen The Wind? There are reportedly alternate takes of these 3 songs, which I’m looking forward to hearing very much.

I’m happy knowing I deserve those 12 Yoko songs. I hope I enjoy most of them. But I am elated to know that I also deserve 147 new John Lennon mixes that go along with them.

11. green_ovation

What has been released?

12. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Mazzy, I believe you are incorrect. The Blu-ray(s) have everything in stereo & 5.1...main album, singles, outtakes, raw takes. The evolution documentaries are not in 5.1

Mazzy and green_ovation like this.
  13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Why extended on the Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band reissue
    an outtake of Midsummer New York as a Japanese bonus track to her latest album Warzone
    a piano demo of Hell In Paradise on a German Rolling Stone compilation.

14. Karl Denver

The outtakes on BluRay 1 are not in 5.1 on my set. Just the album and singles. BluRay 2 has 5.1 for The extended raw album, outtakes and elements. My question was if everyone’s BluRay 1 had only the album and singles in 5.1 and not the outtakes. I was concerned that maybe I had a defected copy. The track list on the back of the box indicate everything on BluRay 1 has a 5.1 option and that’s not the case with my set.

15. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

To be fair though my behaviour was better when I was six.

16. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

In fact, in this same thread many people have expressed joy about Yoko's tracks being included (one user even said it was the only thing he was interested in) and nobody attacked them or their opinion. However, some say they don't want her tracks and they think they don't belong in the set, and all hell breaks loose. Both are valid musical opinions.

17. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I think it must be erroneous information on the track listing. My copy is the same. The album and singles have 5.1 mixes, the outtakes do not.

Karl Denver likes this.
  18. Karl Denver

Thanks Zobalob!

zobalob likes this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Extended 5.1 jams with Yoko and POB are the most interesting thing about this set as the Lennon album never struck me as something I need to hear in 5.1 or need more alternate versions of than what came out on Anthology, Acoustic, Signature Box.

If someone wanted to sell just the Yoko disc I would be glad for a chance to get that without buying whole box.

GregorSamsa likes this.
  20. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

The past few pages have centered on talking about strong opinions of Yoko material being on this set. It has not even been officially confirmed that she will be on it. It's all speculation and growing old. If she is on it, then some discussion about it is warranted. But we don't know! The amount of back and forth that I'm seeing about something that may or may not happen is ridiculous. Let's get back to talking about what we know will be on the album.

Wingsfan2012 and oboogie like this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Does that mean I get a say about what goes into the box set...? :magoo:

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

If discussion on this forum was limited to what we know will be on upcoming releases, there'd be hardly any discussion at all :).

This thread is 46 pages long. Only a fraction of that has been about Yoko. Again, this sounds very much like an attempt to allow all other topics of conversation to continue (even though we know nothing) but put a stop to any chat about Yoko.

23. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Yes :)

jmxw likes this.
  24. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I look at it this way. If Yoko’s unedited songs are in 5.1 on the BluRay, then there is a chance we could mix out her vocals and have some great jamming. I think this is a plus for both fans and non fans of Yoko’s. With the few songs I have heard in stereo, I can’t get passed a minute without giving up. To each their own.

RL4L and A well respected man like this.
  25. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Little update, only one track recorded in 1969 with John, Clapton, Ringo and Klaus; many tracks recored in October 1970 in the middle of John's POB sessions with Ringo and Klaus; session with only John and a session with John, John Barham and Ray Connolly.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021