What happened to AmazonUS Autorip?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Bill007, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Strange, I never see listed now?

2. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

that is strange, cause i can see it listed clearly about 2 inches below where it'll list if they have MP3/Streaming/CD/Vinyl

but not all releases have Auto Rip, they never all had it, so maybe just ones you're looking at don't have it or don't show it for some reason, but
    i see it a lot more often now.

3. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident Thread Starter

They show on the full site page but not the mobile app page. I was given this tip by an Amazon rep.

4. Jason Pumphrey

I wonder if there is anyone who can modify an album title on Amazon music to differentiate a version of an album.
    For example, I just re-bought Soft Machine's Third (deluxe remaster with bonus Proms concert cd).
    Well the good news is that the deluxe version now is on Autorip (7 tracks total), but I also have the original version on Autorip from the original flat master US cd version (4 tracks) from the early 90s.
    They should be able to re-label/rename the remasterd as either "Remastered" or "deluxe" in parentheses after the title.
    That would separate the titles.
    While the two albums are separated on my phone Amazon Music app as Third and Third.
    On my HDTV Amazon Music app, and Alexa, it bunches both together as one big 11 track Third.
    So when it plays, it plays track 1 from the old release, then plays track 1 from the remaster, and so on.
    I wonder if they will correct that if I contact them?

Bill007 likes this.
  5. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

It is easy see on the listing if it's AutoRip. Not all are. You also get an email from Amazon that your files can be downloaded once you make the purchase. I usually buy CDs.
    Easily returned if you don't like the AutoRip files.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  6. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Don't you get charged for the files if you open them and return the CD?

7. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Back in late January, I bought Mingus in Bremen, and it came with an auto-rip; another which I bought around the same time, Rollins in Holland didn't. I'd also guess that "which company?" matters too.

8. ILovethebassclarinet

Several times when I've bought multi-disc sets that came with auto-rip, only a handful or two of songs from sets with like 100 songs on them actually showed up in auto-rip; I don't recall ever having that issue with single disc purchases with auto-rip.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  9. Jason Pumphrey

Sometimes there is label rights issues, for example, Rhino's Orleans Very Best of CD came with 20 songs, the last two songs were originnally on Arista, the autorip had 18 tracks, but did not include the two Arista tracks.
    The Very Best of Sheryl Crow autorip leaves of the song Picture, a duet with Kid Rock.

Bill007 likes this.
  10. MechanicalAnimal6

i have once or twice, but then also have had it happen, where i returned the cd and was able to still listen to the files on the Amazon music app no problem.
    I think it's just downloading the files is where you'll still get charged, but if you use their app to listen to the files, i think you might be okay still.

Bill007, Mister Charlie and dr jazz like this.
  11. Jason Pumphrey

12. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Yes same here though when I purchased the c.d. BOBBIE GENTRY big box I recieved the entire contents of that massive box in my "purchased" file....same with the first 2 s.d.e. boxsets of the RAMONES sets.....while sometimes only recieving 1 disc of a 2 c.d. deluxe c.d.....I don't understand why that would be the case.......

13. Jason Pumphrey

The John Lennon Imagine Ultimate Mixes 2 cd set only gives the remixed album on Autorip, none of the bonus tracks on disc one, and none of the 2nd disc.

14. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

No logic.......oh well I am pleased having the entire GENTRY set and THE RAMONES sets as well.....back when THE EAGLES-"HOTEL CALIFORNIA" S.D.E. was released I canceled that pre-order but weeks later I found the entire set in my "purchased" file.....not complaining mind you!

15. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

No. As long as the CD remains sealed you get a refund. You preview the CD from the downloads.

Just returned the new Jesse Colin Young CD. A re-hash of his hits from the 70's with just him on solo acoustic guitar. The originals are better.

16. Jason Pumphrey

I found a way around the double Soft Machine Third mp3 debacle.
    I added the 7 tracks (one by one in order) from the remastered Third album to my online playlist and named it Third (Remastered).
    Now I can say "Alexa, play Third Remastered from my playlist", and she will comply, lol!
    A little work,

17. ILovethebassclarinet

Somehow, I'd missed that there was a re-issue of Third with a 2nd disc; now it's time to get it... Thanks.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  18. Jason Pumphrey

Make sure its sold by Amazon and not a 3rd party seller, or you wont get the free Autorip
    The reissue uses the British cover of the album, with the name Soft Machine in a different letter font on the upper right corner.
    The album art is also darker than the US version as well.

Here is a link to the one that gives the Autorip
    Soft Machine - Third - Amazon.com Music

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  19. Jason Pumphrey

Although its quite rare, the Autorip album can contain the wrong version of a song from the original CD.
    One prime example is Anthology of Bread.
    On the CD, It Dont Matter To Me is the hit single version.
    On the Autorip version, they use the album cut from their debut album.

Luckily Rhino's expanded The Best of Bread (expanded to 20 tracks) uses the hit versions of all the songs, plus the cd (w/Autorip) is currently a whopping $7.00, 5 bux cheaper than Anthology.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I never "took advantage of" Autorip...it was nothing more than "giving" you something you already owned by default...BUT, you had to download more proprietary Amazon nonsense, as well as give up your right to demand a refund if you weren't satisfied with the physical product.

It's like all of Amazon's other "freebies" - they're all come-ons for "opt-in" permissions to take yet another set of rights or benefits of just being a consumer, away from you. Think: just how may times have they tried to get you to use their music services, from Amazon Music to Amazon HD Music, and all the other flavors of it in-between? It's not about giving you a service...it's about getting you to give up something - anything - that other places you get music from, do not do.

Why. is. that.

21. Jason Pumphrey

I never download an Autorip until I receive and play the physical disc to make sure it has no defects .
    There is also the rare instance where Amazon might cancel an order where they cant get more of the cd or LP in stock, and then of course they will remove the Autorip as well.
    So, long story short, until the cd is my possession and in good working order, I leave the Autorip copy untouched.

Plus, does anyone know if Autorip copies can be downloaded to an Itunes account?

22. MechanicalAnimal6

Yes of course you can upload your Autorip mp3's into itunes....just like you would any other mp3 that you didn't buy directly from Itunes.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  23. Jason Pumphrey

Thanks, can it be cloud based like my Itunes movie library?
    I prefer not use a bunch of hard drive space.

24. MechanicalAnimal6

That i am not 100% certain on, i guess it depends on how you have your cloud set up, but if you add the files into your cloud
    as well, then you should have it there as well. Once you download the mp3 Auto Rip files, you can save them wherever you want
    on your drives.

25. Jason Pumphrey

Another bonus Autorip deal, the single disc The Stranger cd by Billy Joel is $5.39, and gives you the 2 disc Legacy Edition contents (21 tracks) in your Amazon Music Library!

A similar deal for Eagles Hotel California 40th Ann. single disc at $6.97, gives you the two disc content!