Do you buy the CD if you own the DVD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Feb 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

Just curious, if you own a concert DVD, do you still buy the CD if the audio content on both is exactly the same?

I keep my CD’s and DVD’s separate, as i’d imagine most people do, but on the one hand, I like having all of the artwork present for both releases (as opposed to just having say, a blank CD with the audio recorded from the DVD). But on the other hand, fairly often the DVD sounds better than the CD, with better dynamics and less compression.

I admit that I typically like to have both the CD *and* the DVD.
    Even if I have the DVD, I can listen to the CD on the go, in the car, wherever. Plus, the setup that I watch TV/DVD’s on is nowhere near as good as my stereo setup that I listen to music on, which is in a different room of the house.

So do you buy the CD if you already own the DVD? Yes, no, it depends?
    And please feel free to explain why, particularly if your answer is “it depends”.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I can't listen to a DVD on my iPod.... at least I don't know how to transfer a DVD audio to my iPod :hide:

JeffMo and Keith V like this.
  3. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

4. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Very dependent on artist.

hi_watt, audiomixer, Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  5. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

It depends on how much I like the DVD. If I have both I can put the CD on while doing work as I don't have to keep my eyes on the TV & can watch what I'm doing while I'm listening.

6. stevef

stevef Senior Member

It depends. I bought the Clapton/Winwood DVD because it offered a few different tracks the CD didn't have.
    I never bothered to also get the CD version to compare. Sometimes life is just too short... haha Maybe I will look into it. The DVD is really good.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

If I own the DVD, I would just stream the audio instead of buying the CD.

mattdm11 and theking1977 like this.
  8. I would say that it depends on how much I enjoy the DVD. Anymore, it seems like a lot of concert DVDs are packaged with an audio CD version.

9. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

I don’t own *that* many music DVD’s . . . maybe 100-125, I’d guess. But that Clapton/Winwood DVD is one of my very favorites. It is filmed incredibly well, no modern hyper-editing . . . just beautiful. If only all concert DVD’s could be fined/edited so well. Unfortunately, the vast majority are not.

10. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

It depends. I do however rip the audio from all music DVD's and stick them in my iTunes.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If the DVD is DSD, and the CD is .wma...then, in order to play it with your other products by the same artist, that takes another layer of complexity.

But, chances are I owned the Stop Making Sense album before I bought the movie.

12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I don’t buy many DVDs in general so the only three instances I can think of buying both :

The Concert For George

That Thing You Do .

The Mighty Wind

Oh, and A Hard Days Night, Hrlp! and Magical
    Mystery Tour of course. I almost forgot those .

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    longdist01 likes this.
  13. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

At the moment I do because I don't have a DVD player but do have (and frequently use) a CD player.

When I had a DVD player, and I will have one again, it depended. Still often did because I was likely to listen to the audio more often than I'd watch the video.

14. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

These days, a select few artist that I collect.

Other than that, I rip the audio from the dvd/blu ray...

15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Me also . Generally with rare exceptions, just give me the tunes. :D

16. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Nope, I usually don't buy the CD if I have the DVD. Last week I bought the standalone Rustbucket DVD from Neil Young's store because I knew I'd never play the LPs or CDs in the deluxe set. If I just want to listen to the music I can always turn off the TV.

17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I just rip the audio from the DVD using DVD Audio Extractor. At least back when I had DVD's. :laugh:

I never understood making CD's of the same content as the DVD...seemed so lazy. Even if it's mostly the same songs, I always figured if they wanted people to double dip, do different gigs on each. Especially since the CD's so often had fewer tracks (thinking about Toto's 25th Anniversary Amsterdam show, among many others).

18. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Iron Maiden - Live After Death I own BOTH.

Every other Maiden DVD, it's either the CD OR DVD.

pilaf and coffeetime like this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Great question. For me it depends. If some content is unique to each medium (Living With the Past- Jethro Tull) then yes I want both. For others not so much. Although I really should learn how to extract audio from DVD.

Taxman likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

My CD player is a Blu Ray/SACD Sony thing connected toy amp and TV so I can just play the DVD and then turn the TV off if I just wanted to listen to it .

Super Furry Animals did release two albums on DVD with loads of extras in the early 2000's and I did eventually buy the CD's when they were cheap just so I could top them to my portable player.

21. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Quite a few concert DVDs have different tracks or performances to the CD release, so there may still be an argument for getting both of one or other release has different material.

Particularly with DVDs, the audio may use lossy compression (though it may be 48KHz / 24 bit).

CD versions may also have between song talking edited out which may or may not be a bonus.

All things being equal, though, I tend to buy the DVD / BD and rip the audio now.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

In my experience, there were DVD's with lossy compression, but then a brickwalled CD counterpart. The ultimate no-win situation. (I find loud mastering much more offensive than DTS/AC3 compression though, so I still go with my ripped DVD audio track in my digital library)

c-eling and Sevoflurane like this.
  23. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

The dvd generally has more content than the cd, so I go with it and rip it to my audio collection.

MYQ1 likes this.
  24. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The one that annoys me the most is the Rush R30 set. IIRC, you only got the CD version with the mega box. and even with the Blu Ray the stereo audio used lossy compression on a horribly brickwalled mix. I think I ended up doing a down mix of the DTS MA on that in order to get anything listenable. I’ll have to see what the Qobuz version sounds like.

25. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Thats me too really. More generally if I really like the show I’m probably gonna but it. More likely though the if it’s a big show like say Roger Waters “Us + Them”. Helps if I saw the tour too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.