Great Albums cobbled together from leftovers from previous album sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

2. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

The seller that day is a long time buddy and he had it for 20 and gave me a 2.00 off deal. I still see it regularly for around 22.

3. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Damn, there are that many? I am kinda behind here...

4. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Even the big concepual works like Joe's Garage were pieced together musically over the previous year. Mostly the guitar solos.

5. Between these two “great” albums I can cobble together one good one. Not my favorite Zappa by a long shot.

BrentB likes this.
  6. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Not only lost cred in passing them off as concurrent with the Dylan stuff, but the album would've been nearly as strong as their first two and enriched their legacy artistically.

8. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

BWS is one lp that I listen to from start to finish each time IMO it is a great release. Weasels is very good also always in my top 30 Zappa lps. It’s just a matter of opinion.

9. I agree. I know many folks love these two albums, I'm probably the odd man out, but that's o.k.

BrentB likes this.
  10. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

"Young Karl produced by Old Karl"

Built from musical sketches stretching back to his final frustrated years in Kraftwerk when Ralf and Florian were refusing to work on new music (he left three years into the five years they spent on making a remix album) and including an outake from the album he produced for Electronic.

Great? I think so. Given it's diverse history, it's a more coherent album than it should be. I prefer it to his "proper" solo album Communication.

[​IMG]

Library Eye, andrewskyDE and c-eling like this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Kind of, because it came from a few different sets of sessions with different guitar players. But it was all recorded since the previous (Only R&R) album.

Library Eye likes this.
  12. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Ty Segall - Freedom's Goblin

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that would seem to disqualify "Black and Blue".

I get the impression the OP wants albums of "leftovers" that were presented as brand-new product from still-together/still-functioning artists - albums you wouldn't know were leftovers without interviews to reveal that info.

That would seem to leave out stuff like "VU" or "Beatles Anthology" or "Coda", I think...

limoges and Colocally like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

NRBQ always used material from different sessions, but this album falls squarely in this category. All studio leftovers from various years, and still a pretty terrific album:

[​IMG]

15. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Islands by the Band
    Good Times by the Monkees
    Left Banke Too
    Zappa -Weasels Ripped my Flesh

16. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

Correct!

limoges and Oatsdad like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The new Guided by Voice's album Earth Man Blues. Just announced!

linklinc likes this.
  18. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Kaya (1978) - Bob Marley and the Wailers

leftovers from Exodus (1977) sessions. I listen to Kaya just as much as the previous year's masterpiece, and enjoy it hugely... It's a brilliant album, in its own right :cool:

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The tracks on Who's Next were not leftovers in any sense of the word. They had a concept for an album. They abandoned the overall concept but kept most of the songs. This thread is looking for an instance in which outtakes from previous album sessions were assembled into a subsequent album release. No track on Who's Next is an outtake from any previous Who album.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's worth noting that only five of the six Lennon songs were outtakes from a previous album session. All the Yoko tracks (except her Let Me Count The Ways demo) were new 1983 recordings made specifically for this album.

Library Eye, andrewskyDE, BDC and 3 others like this.
  21. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

A couple tracks that she recorded during the Summer/Autumn 1980 sessions ended up on "Seasons Of Glass" instead of their original destination of "Milk & Honey".

22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yeah but to be fair most Lennon fans have probably not played the yoko tracks :D

23. 80steen

80steen John McClane

To Dexter they were leftovers lol

24. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

Ryan Adams Demolition...always thought this was a genuinely great record

[​IMG]

Cracklebarrel and Glad Man like this.
  25. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Has Queen’s Made In Heaven been mentioned? And would it count? Technically three songs are newly-written, and the other songs were recorded after Freddie Mercury’s death (only Too Much Love Will Kill You was recorded during the Miracle sessions and was left untouched), but the vocals were cobbled together after Mercury’s death. That should count, right?

Library Eye, Runicen and Aar Gal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.