Would You Accept This Seam Split

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by rockin_since_58, Jul 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Looks exactly like seam splits caused in the mail on brand new covers that I've had.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Unacceptable. Also yet another reason I don't buy vinyl from Amazon.

Bull Moose, Amoeba, Acoustic Sounds, MOFI, Music Direct, Barnes & Noble. All package and ship vinyl properly.
    MOFI even removes the record from the jacket if you ask them to !

3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Definitely not photoshopped. Stood the cover up on a chair and took the picture looking down. The replacement looked exactly the same under the shrink. Why would I take the time to create such an image??? Makes no sense at all. I am no longer in possession of the album, otherwise I might have taken a few pics from different angles. Just hoping the order from Walmart is not the same.

E.Baba and Myke like this.
  4. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I shake my fist, though shaking another body part (especially without shaking anything else!) could be effective, too. :)

5. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Ha! I see I left my thought incomplete - I’ll leave it up to each reader to fill it in on their own.

Reese likes this.
  6. rockin_since_58

It was packaged well. Was in one of the Amazon wrap around LP mailers than inside another box with plenty of cushioning. The album sits very firmly in the wrap around mailer so I think it came from the manufacturer this way. Maybe jacket is a little under-sized and record was forced into it.

Myke likes this.
  7. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

To me, the value of a record is not only the record and the music on it, it is also the cover. I return any purchases from Amazon that has any cosmetic flaws be it a corner ding, crease or seam split (no matter how small) .

rockin_since_58 and Alan2 like this.
  8. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Heavyweight vinyl with sharp edges is more likely to do that even with good packing.
    Unfortunate given the current fetish for that vinyl.

9. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

If I paid full price for a new LP with a sleeve split like that I wouldn't accept it. As a matter of fact, this very morning I returned an LP to amazon with a smaller split than the one you show.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  10. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

11. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

That's a bit larger than I'd like to see as I am fussy about my covers. OTOH, I've repaired lots of splits over the years w/white glue and safe tape (the masking tape you get at paint stores that will release without damage) reversing a piece of tape along the split. Once the glue dries you pull the tape and touch up with a black marker.

There's several factors here because the item is both new and common:
    1) Do I want to deal with a return? (no)
    2) Is the item ever likely to be sold to someone else? (for me, 99% likely no)
    3) Is the item ever likely to appreciate in value to a point where I would consider selling it to someone else (extremely unlikely)
    4) Do I want to acknowledge to myself that I am being incredibly pedantic over something so minor? (very unlikely)
    5) In the scheme of things (Covid, dysfunctional politics, global warming, racial injustice, etc) this is such a petty item that I simply can't let it get under my skin.

K.K. Bing, BornToBoogie and zongo like this.
  12. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I think of it more as, since I paid for something new, I want to receive it in "new" condition. I don't buy a new toaster on Amazon and keep the toaster even if it arrived with a cracked or dented side panel even if the toaster still works. I buy it to toast bread and not think that the value will appreciate over time, but I still want to enjoy the looks of a brand new toaster I paid $20 for (or a record in the case of this thread).;)

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  13. rockin_since_58

I received the order from Walmart and it was absolutely perfect. Most likely came from a different production run.

14. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident

The quality of new records is so hit and miss now I'm scared of sending back a damaged jacket with a perfect record and getting a perfect jacket with a bad record. Which based on past orders I would say has about a 50% chance of happening.

15. rockin_since_58

When dealing with Amazon, I will hold on to the defective record until the replacement arrives. Even more so with multi LP sets. They give you 30 days to get the return back.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  16. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident

New box sets scare me because of the odds of getting a dud and then you have to return the whole thing. I got the Fleetwood Mac Box Set and half of the discs were defective.

17. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

The OP's picture has been deleted so I couldn't make a comparison. This just arrived from Amazon. Would you return it?

[​IMG]

18. rockin_since_58

This is similar to what I had with the Dio album. I would definitely return to Amazon. I would also hold on to it until the replacement arrives just in case there is any issues with the record itself. This way you could choose the best one and return the other.

19. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Don't they wait until the first one arrives back before dispatching the replacement?

20. rockin_since_58

No, once you request the return from your orders page, the replacement is sent right away. You have 30 days to return the defective item.

TwiceFan likes this.
  21. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Thanks.

Also should I refrain from opening and playing this one? Will they accept an unsealed return?

EDIT: I guess the answer to the above question is yes. However it seems that Amazon is now out of this title (Donald Fagen - "The Nightfly"). No indication that they will get more copies. Only available from a few third party sellers at this point. It's amazing how fast these highly regarded reissues disappear. It's very disconcerting actually...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  22. rockin_since_58

No problem with it being opened. I would open just to see if there are any issues with the record.

See if you can initiate the return for a replacement. If the let that happen, just keep what you have for a few weeks while waiting for the exchange.

23. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Thanks. However now it seems that Amazon is now out of this title (Donald Fagen - "The Nightfly" Chris Bellman cut released two months ago.)

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (180g Vinyl LP)

https://www.amazon.com/Nightfly-180...en+the+nightfly&qid=1626463727&s=music&sr=1-1

No indication that they will get more copies. Only available from a few third party sellers at this point. It's amazing how fast these highly regarded reissues disappear. It's very disconcerting actually...

24. rockin_since_58

Then the best option is to just keep what you have for now. If it becomes available again, order and just return one against the new order with the damaged cover. Just return for refund.

TwiceFan likes this.
  25. Seams splits : Unless you want to "re-sell" the item, ....

It doesn't affect the music.

I understand for those who are very particular and desire "perfect" LPs and inner sleeves, it can be an exasperating experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.