'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I looked at about a dozen or so newer and older TPs and a couple/few MMJs. None of mine have the gatefold splits.

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

very disappointing. I think ill just keep goinf with the 4mil dual pockets on gatefolds. A pricey affair but the quality is just perfect. Probably dont want to cheap out on $50+ records...

captouch likes this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Have you seen it tear anywhere other than where the record makes contact with the paper? I haven’t, myself.

shawnwes likes this.
  4. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

It is a common occurrence with gatefold albums. Never been much of a concern for me. You may get the same problem on the next copy if you return it. But if it bothers you by all means "send it back." As Billy Crystal used to opine on Saturday Night Live

5. AndreaNaim

AndreaNaim Well-Known Member

❤️

GentleSenator likes this.
  6. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

The only time I've had a damaged cover was along the top edge where the lp cut through the cover and left a gash a couple inches long. This was because there was no lp mailer, just the album bouncing inside an Amazon box & w/o any of those air pillows inside. Can't imagine how the spine would get damaged unless the lp cut through the end somehow.
    EDIT: I see the comments about paper tearing on inside of seam. I've got most of the TP and haven't had that occur yet.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  7. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Anticipating the Tone Poet "Lighthouse" set, I called my local record store and inquired, "Do you have Lee Morgan in a box? You better let him out!" I'm easily amused.

[​IMG]

8. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

If you’re in Vancouver, Neptoon sells the TPs for $32 each. You might check if they have them.

bluejimbop, DeRosa and bliss44 like this.
  9. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Red cat as well I think.

DeRosa and bliss44 like this.
  10. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Audiopile on Commercial as well carries a good number of Tone Poets.

nosliw, ceynon, DeRosa and 1 other person like this.
  11. I get there once a year- thanks though- will check them out this summer if traveling

12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Is it actually a Tone Poet?

13. BitterFishinCrudeOilSea

BitterFishinCrudeOilSea Forum Resident

i don’t think so. Looks like it’s its own thing.

14. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

It looks like the picture of Lee Morgan from the cover to The Rajah.

15. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

It is the Tone Poet.

I started looking at all these boxes of records (my shelves overfloweth) and there are a lot of boxes where the artist's face is peeking through the handle. I thought about doing a photo montage: a cross between characters popping out of boxes like on the "Laugh-In" show and Jackie Gleason's ill-fated 1961 television program, "You're in the Picture." Zoom meets "The Brady Bunch" opener.

Something like Rutherford Chang's record shop in Soho, "We Buy White Albums." My concept would be a stack of artists peeking through the open handles of white album boxes at each other.

Here's a photo of a diagonally adjacent box with Ahmad Jamal looking down from his piano at Lee Morgan. It's weird, really -- all these artists trapped in boxes and looking around the room at each other.

[​IMG]

Here's a display wall at "We Buy White Albums." These are all White Album jackets in various states of condition, depreciation, and embellishment. I think it's fantastic!

[​IMG]

If you don't know about "We Buy White Albums," I think it is the greatest thing since Andy Warhol. Helter Skelter! A Record Store that Only Stocks the White Album

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Mazzy, Patanoia, Crazysteve and 10 others like this.
  16. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Listening to the old Ron McMaster mastered CD of this tune, I hear a bit of mic overload in Chambers' bass playing starting at around the 2:20 mark. The drummer is playing with brushes (metal brushes) and the cymbal sounds like a sizzle and the rivets popping around do sound different but I don't hear this as unusual. Maybe what you're hearing is a brush hitting a sizzle cymbal?

MisterBritt and astro70 like this.
  17. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Lee Morgan playing peek-a-boo :uhhuh:

MisterBritt likes this.
  18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

While I’m sure Yoko would approve of the clever conceptual project of We Buy White Albums, I find it painful to look at all of those trashed and destroyed copies of the album.

indyalden and MisterBritt like this.
  19. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

20. John Duffield

John Duffield Well-Known Member

$32 here in Toronto. If you're paying $40++, find somewhere else to buy your records.

21. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

I certainly wouldn't want to own a copy that a kid from 50+ years ago drew a flower on, but I have no problem with it conceptually.

MisterBritt, blutiga and Spencer R like this.
  22. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Where are you buying them for $32 in Toronto? I rarely seem them for less than $37-38.

23. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

You can find this distortion on othe RVG recordings. Supposedly from mic bleed from cymbal. I was listening to MMJ Something Else and it’s on that recording too.

YEX 750-1 and astro70 like this.
  24. Ronnieb

Ronnieb Forum Resident

The Rajah finally arrived at my doorstep today. This is one hell of a release!

HappyCycler, Dartman and Aegir like this.
  25. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Sometimes I think I’m going crazy because I hear very clear distortion either from mic overloading or miss-tracking despite spending countless hours checking and rechecking my cart alignment. Meanwhile everyone else is raving about the sound quality of these reissues and I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong. I guess it’s probably just Rudy’s recording Technics. I don’t really have an issue with anything besides 50s-60s jazz. Almost every other reissue I buy sounds fine. I guess it’s not my system then. And the crazy part is I have argued with people over this and they swear that the distortion I hear is not there...

I don’t have a problem if the distortion is part of the tape. I can accept that it’s just a part of the music and a product of its time and of Rudy. I can’t accept misstracking on most of the reissue jazz records I buy, which is what I keep assuming I’m hearing.

bluejimbop likes this.