Question about crystal record weight

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bogdanstanga, Feb 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I recall someone who drilled a hole in 1 or 2 hockey pucks.

Aftermath, Fishoutofwater and rcsrich like this.
  2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I used to put a bowling pin on top of the center label. Much heavier than a measly 400gm!

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Some interesting comments on the crystal weight.
    But no-one has explored the burn-in time. Will the burn-in need to be directional? Will sunlight be a natural burn-in or will it degrade it?

I suspect that the crystal weight might have better synergy with some records than other.
    For example, this one might work well with it:
    [​IMG]

Vinyldude63 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  4. Bogdanstanga

Bogdanstanga Active Member Thread Starter

ummm I didn’t vanish just don’t check the forum every single day lol.
    Also I’m not selling these.
    I just asked because I like the way it looks. My concern is that since they’re made from a glass material and they don’t have a felt bottom they might create undesired resonance.
    Lol paranoid much?!?

blowinblue likes this.
  5. Bogdanstanga

Thank you.
    My turntable recommended a maximum of 450g (1lb) for the weight and the crystal one is 400g, so pretty close to the maximum.
    I do have a friend who wanted a brass weight so I’ll send him your recommendation.

MrRom92 likes this.
  6. qwerty

You can always buy some adhesive felt to put on the bottom of the crystal weight yourself if you are concerned. There might be some undue vibration if your turntable has excessive vibration/rumble/etc already, but if that's the case you would probably be wanting to get rid of the turntable rather than tweak it.

7. Sorry if i was a little offensive, i should not have been so judgemental

grbluen, qwerty and LakeMountain like this.
  8. qwerty

No offense taken by me. :)

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  9. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

A cyrstal record weight is likely not reducing reflected vibration energy given it is molecular “crystal” structure. Normally you want (a) material(s) with a more amorphous molecular consistency like copper, aluminum, brass, Acryl or various woods, etc.
    If you like the looks of it you could try putting something like sorbothane feet under it. You never know how something works until you try it, but I would say the chances of improving sonic performance are small.

Ripblade and Bogdanstanga like this.
  10. Bogdanstanga

No worries!

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  11. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

All materials have resonant signatures. A delrin weight will sound very different than one of brass or crystal, simply because they react differently to the vibrations in the record. Just like mats, they all sound different if they are different materials.

But, there are ppl who think they all sound the same. You must be one of them....

Bogdanstanga likes this.
  12. qwerty

Sometimes those beliefs are understandable and - to them - not unfounded. Those people are likely to have systems that are not revealing enough to make those differences noticeable, or some people don't have the ability to discern the differences.

Ripblade likes this.
  13. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

In truth, reality is what one perceives. Try describing colour to one who is colour blind...

14. Leonthepro

There are people who believe any bs snake oil sellers tell them. You must be one of them.
    Show your listening tests confirming it and Ill believe it.

15. Leonthepro

Then do it. Show your listening tests confirming it as audible.

16. Leonthepro

You can prove colors exist to a colorblind person no problem.

17. qwerty

I never said it was audible. My response was to the comment "But, there are ppl who think they all sound the same...", indicating that those people might not be ignorantly dismissing differences that do exist, they may be legitimate opinions based on their actual experience. That some people can't discern a difference doesn't mean that other people may be able to discern subtle differences that exist. And I also propose that people should not be able to detect differences that actually do not exist, however, the expectation bias messes that up!

18. Leonthepro

Its not about dismissing possibilities. Its about being reasonable.
    Before sufficient evidence is provided the only right stance to have is to not accept the claim.

19. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I assure I am just a shrewd a skeptic as you are. That doesn't leave me blind to the possibility that different materials have different sonic properties. Musical instruments are all about this, turntables are likewise influenced by material choices whether we like it or not.

20. I would be very interested to hear how mirror ball record weight would sound after half a bottle of Absinthe.

21. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

A weight will play a material role...(I’ll get my coat!)

Leonthepro likes this.
  22. Leonthepro

Its not the turntable though, its a weight on the record. I never said its impossible either.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  23. qwerty

Again, I never supported the claim that the crystal weight would sound different to other weights. I can allow the possibility - however low that might be - that a difference could exist, and that someone with an ultra-high-end system and ultra-sensitive ears could notice a genuine difference. That was the intent of my posts, they were not specific to the weight.
    Personally, I don't think the crystal would make an audible difference, perhaps I should have made that clear in my earlier posts.

Leonthepro likes this.
  24. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Moi? My [patent pending!] Canucklehead Hockey Puck Clamp?

[​IMG]

Leonthepro likes this.
  25. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Spindlebiscuit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.