Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

bjlefebvre likes this.
  2. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I am a visual artist (including portraiture among other areas) and more often than I would like I find myself cringing at some of the poor artwork/design that grace some jazz album covers. But I get that many of these releases are done with very low budgets and under difficult circumstances - and in some cases they are possibly verging on grey market releases.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is a very distracting design. I wonder why no one simply used the photograph as determined by the photographer himself

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Simple designs are often the best, and can also be the least expensive. But record companies never seem to employ designers with that notion when using photography.

You can go through hundreds of album covers for Louis Armstrong, who was a very interesting subject for photographers, and hardly find any that are worthwhile

peskypesky likes this.
  5. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Thanks. I actually have the 10" and the RCA LP @Tribute pasted the cover of. I was just thinking I don't have anything that has his rendition of "Jitterbug Waltz," and that set has it. Tidal streams seemingly 20 versions of that song, but none are of Waller playing it.

Now streaming the below. Big band and Sister Rosetta Tharpe? Yes please.

[​IMG]

dennis the menace and chervokas like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I loved that shot of Bud so much. Here is a nicely done postcard

[​IMG]

Moments apart, but this print blurred his sweat, or else Bud had just started playing and was still dry.

[​IMG]

It is interesting that the photographer, Herman Leonard, chose to reorient the image in his final print, as signed. He obviously did not want closer cropping.

[​IMG]

Now, many amateur photographers often say "You ruined it by closing your eyes!" Bud rarely opened his eyes while playing.

We can listen to his records, but we can never hear what was in Bud's mind as he played.

[​IMG]

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You wouldn't see Bud like this. Apologies to the subject, selected at random.

Fats Waller, of course, was an entertainer famous for his wide open eyes, so you didn't see him play like Bud either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peskypesky and bjlefebvre like this.
  8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

West Side Story⸻Bill Barron & his Jazz Group
    ❨1969❩

[​IMG]

Recorded at Gotham Studios in New York City on March 24th , 27th, and 28th 1963

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Bradd likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

"Biff", in the yellow jacket, was one of the last great film dancers, Russ Tamblyn, who is now 86.

Here he is at age 20

[​IMG]

And a "better cropped" image.

He was born just a little late to become a superstar in film musicals, but had all the talent. West Side Story (1961) was his last film musical, at age 26. Hollywood gave up on musicals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and Crimson Witch like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Duke was also an open-eyed pianist when performing for the public. He wanted to please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But they say when he played in private, he was more contemplative:

[​IMG]

One of the better Ellington covers

[​IMG]

11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Tamblyn is great ! Love the guy.
    He was fantastic in the 1954 musical 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' too
    :) :thumbsup:

Tribute likes this.
  12. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I guess it's possible that he would've agreed to using just the intro to fit within the constraints of the LP, but I'd like to see that in writing.

They say that it was supposed to be a double-album, but at 56 minutes it would've been on the short side for a 2-LP set. Seems likely to me that he would've wanted a couple tracks plus a full "Nardis" to fill Side 4, and he probably had some other choices to fill out Side 3 that missed the cut in 1996--possibly because the label didn't want to give away too much value from the box set. He had a few new pieces that he played multiple times in that Vanguard run--"Knit for Mary F.," "Tiffany," "Your Story," "Letter to Evan"--obviously with the intent of recording them for the album, but they were left off the highlights CD. Was he really dissatisfied with every performances of all of those? I doubt it.

Yesternow likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I sometimes think that if Houston Person had made the very same records for Blue Note, exactly the same music and mastering but with Blue Note covers, that everyone would be talking about him.

He is one of my favorites of the last several decades

Lonson and Mugrug12 like this.
  14. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Just finished Mingus Ah Um and now starting Paul Bley- Turns

[​IMG]
    Arranged vertically for thread optimization.
    John Gilmore is on it the Bley album, did he ever play with Mingus?

15. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I agree. I saw him once in the late 80’s in St. Louis. The place I saw him was odd. A local tavern in the heart of a very bad neighborhood. The place was a small hole in the wall. Had no stage or anything....just moved a few tables and the quartet was set. I’ve always thought Mr. Person was friends with the owner of the Tavren and doing a favor to build revenue for him.

davidpoole and Tribute like this.
  16. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Did you ever have a chance to attend one of his shows?

17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Here are two more that were recommended to me and that I like:

Fats Waller, His Rhythm, His Piano – The Definitive Fats Waller Volume One – Transcriptions 1935 and 1939 – Stash Records (ST-CD-528)

Fats Waller – The Real… Fats Waller – The Ultimate Collection – RCA Victor (Sony Music 889853054220). This one doesn’t have any liner notes but it’s good music.

bjlefebvre and Crimson Witch like this.
  18. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I just finished reading a book about the Woods/Emmons, etc. American Studio band (best know for their work on dusty in Memphis and with Elvis) and I'm sure this was both a challenge to them and a point of pride that they could deal with it. Interestingly enough, they preferred to talk about music as little as possible and just feel their way to the perfect take.

Yesternow likes this.
  19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

@bjlefebvre JSP has issued several volumes of Fats. I don’t have them but people who are Fats completists swear by them.

In addition, Larry Kart, the Jazz journalist and writer, posted this elsewhere:

“If you have access to a used LP store, the Bluebird LP Waller sets used to show up there fairly often. If the price is right, nab everyone you see. IIRC the notes are excellent. Also, if you see the Time-Life Waller LP set. In fact just about every Time-Life set is worthwhile -- excellent booklets.”

bjlefebvre likes this.
  20. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I take it you're a fan of Archie's Going Home album of spirituals with Horace Parlan?

21. Mugrug12

NP
    Lee Morgan- Cornbread
    [​IMG]

22. There are some excellent coverart books around. I am a collector of these too beside the music. An vinyl with excellent coverart has always good music inside is my experience.

eeglug and davidpoole like this.
  23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

As far as I can see on here, no he didn't.

Charles Mingus Discography

In fact, I'm struggling to think of anyone who did play with both Mingus and Sun Ra - they seem to have moved in completely different circles.

24. Mugrug12

I guess that makes sense. But Mingus did play w Bley, who played with Gilmore who played with...;)

25. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

John Abercrombie understood that idea too:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vwpcc

Yesternow likes this.