The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:biglaugh:

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:wave:

Just use the correct date format (dd/mm/yy) like I do. Everyone’s used to it now :winkgrin:

3. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Used to it... tolerate it... po-tay-to, po-tah-to ..... :winkgrin:

AlSo, YYYY-MM-DD is the correct and most logical format. :tiphat:

budwhite, bzfgt, jomo48 and 6 others like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there. The first Days Between was an interesting surprise coming out of Space. I liked it quite a bit. I don't remember much else specifically, and haven't ever gone back and listened to this show since experiencing it live.

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I think we should just post planetary alignments like on the cover of the porch sagger box and dispense with numerical dates altogether. We could wipe out bzfgt syndrome in short order. :nyah:

KCWhistle, notesofachord, ARK and 6 others like this.
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha! :righton:

warewolf95, ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

2/22/93.. Nudge me when something interesting happens. Wow.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

There’s probably a reason that all I remember is the debut of Days Between.

ARK, warewolf95 and scribbs like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Musically, really enjoying DaP 37 on a second listen, but does anyone else feel that for the past 2-3 years the Dave’s releases have been brighter and more brickwalled than before? This one worse than most, but all brighter and harsher on my system than earlier Dead releases. It would be nice to reverse this trend. I haven’t seen DR levels or any objective confirmation, I just know what I hear. It’s worse on headphones than through speakers but has been noticeably irritating in both for the last dozen picks or so, unfortunately. I’ve read that Norman masters at relatively low volumes, which might be part of the problem. I like my music crankable.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Also, on paper I was slightly skeptical about the choice of including Tennessee Jed from Pittsburgh (note the h at the end, indicating being thousands of miles from Con-curd, not right next door) rather than something else, but this is a monster version. The end of the final solo is raging brilliance.

11. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

This morning's Insomniac Theater: 2/22/74 Winterland. The very recent Charlie Miller version.

I believe this was the first ever Must Have Been the Roses--love it at this slightly faster tempo and with more input from Billy. It could be really draggy later on. Here, it almost sounds like something from The Band.

You can tell they'd been off the road to start the year, but I'm just all in for 1974 Dead. I'm only a few songs in, but Jerry was clearly having a very lyrical and expressive evening.

12. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Nearing the end of 2/22/74.

Jerry's playing is gorgeous throughout, but I don't feel like this show catches fire quite the way the following two nights did. Could be the rust of a couple months off, but also I think the three-set format might also be somewhat to blame. The flow isn't the same, and they don't achieve that stream-of-consciousness feel that long second sets from that era have.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an enjoyable show, but 2/23 and 2/24 are all-timers.

KCWhistle, johnnypaddock, SJR and 7 others like this.
  13. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

3/31/88 & 4/1/88 at Meadowlands Arena: Road Trips Volume 4, Number 2

This release opens with a really strong Mississippi Half Step (4/1). The Jack Straw that follows is just as good. Although, I tend to favor the sound of other years, this one opens of with a great energy and the band is lacking nothing. I really like the sound the band was able to pull off for these two shows. '87-'91 could be really strong. There might be other better examples, but this is definitely one.

To be continued...

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at both of these shows. Excellent first set on 4/1/88 with a couple rarities, and the first China Cat>Rider and first Scarlet>Fire that I caught.

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Today is: 23 February 2021 < Write out show dates in this manner and avoid all confusion. Except for you blokes on the other side of the International Date Line where it's 24 Feb. Or you folks riding around on Perseverance where the local Martian date is: Xtau 385, 938-639 YppLown.

KCWhistle, mBen989, SlimLee and 4 others like this.
  16. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

8/10/82 ... those “cornfed fillies” got a good one! Thoroughly enjoyable listen top to bottom. I’m late to the party on this one, judging by all the reviews and Hunter’s matrix.

Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and adamos like this.
  17. Jerfan13

I have a really tough time not liking most of Spring tour. Nice time period to be in the mix.

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

74/28/bagel for you lot down under.

19. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Mastering at a lower volume (or what used to be called a "normal" volume) should make it more "crankable", not less.

rbbert and warewolf95 like this.
  20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Watch out for the “All Along The Watchtower” from 3/31 :D.

Meadowlands 88 was a very good run, even with that. 4/1 was my favorite of the three.

birdstrike, SJR, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I caught my first China Cat>Rider and Scarlet>Fire in the same show.........3/28/85.

Im guessing it didn’t happen too often.......at least by the 80s.

KCWhistle, jmadad, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  22. Jerfan13

Cannot wait to hear this!!!

budwhite, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

According to this, most of the Dave's (of the few that have been added to the database) are right around 11 DR, including #37. Ironically, the release with the highest DR is Chicago 12-3-79, which I don't think is anybody's choice for the best- sounding.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Just goes to show that raw DR numbers can be of limited utility.

laf848, US Blues and frightwigwam like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Do you remember what the show was that they played?

I would usually sit home on Saturday nights and try to get a better tape. The 7-16-72 tape with the Latvala interview must have been on a night when something was going on and I just let the tape run, because I would usually not record the banter. (2-17-79 was another tape that got ruined by not sitting home, I tried to come back and flip the tape, but I didn't make it in time and it got all messed up.)

Someone must have the full SBD of this 7-16-72 show, though this is not a terrible AUD. It seems like Garcia is giving it a little extra in songs like Cold Rain and Snow. I was actually driving right by Dillon Stadium just as Playin in the Band was ending last night, it will probably take me all day to listen to the rest of this show, which is fine.

Comments on the archive said they remembered there being three sets, with Truckin' to start set 3; the audience taper seems to have stopped tape between songs so none of the banter is there to confirm or refute.

I doubt many would object to a box set of all the GD/Allmans shows, but it would also be cool if they did them one at a time...

I saw that too, I wondered are Weir and Stamets going to be on together or one at a time.

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  25. Jerfan13

Oteil dosed his dad. Lol...that’s what my buddy said texting me that link. Lololol. Pretty sure together, but I haven’t watched.

ARK, warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.