Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've read that Rahsaan did some hanging out with Ra c. the early '60s/after Ra ended up in NYC.

fingerpoppin and Mugrug12 like this.
  2. ILovethebassclarinet

Mine is the early '70s Fantasy re-issue.
    Here's Gray with Dexter from '47:
    The Hunt

3. ILovethebassclarinet

'Who dat?'
    Thanks!

4. ILovethebassclarinet

That brought Harold Ousley to mind, musically and visually:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ILovethebassclarinet

For me, mood is a critical element; sometimes it's solo piano I want to hear; other times it's the Arkestra, yet other times, either, or something "in between" is just fine.

6. ILovethebassclarinet

To avoid being confused with other releases which used the same picture?

7. ILovethebassclarinet

And I was just jumping into this section of the thread to hype the ECM Special Edition recordings, after seeing Yesternow's comment on trios with Holland and DeJohnette...

ParloFax likes this.
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Actually, apparently Gilmore DID play with Mingus during his mid 60s time away from Sun Ra and is heard in the video on a gig with Mingus in Massachusetts in '66. You know, records capture a tiny, tiny fraction of the jazz music that's been played. Typically, unless it's plague times, jazz musicians are on a bandstand somewhere every night playing one, two or three sets at a club. Lots of musicians have played without it ever showing up on an album.

https://www.loc.gov/item/jots.200017707h

Charles Mingus and His Eviction From His New York City Loft, Captured in Moving 1968 Film | Open Culture

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Besides Gilmore, who apparently did work for Mingus during his mid-'60s sabbatical from the Arkestra, Hobart Dotson -- who played some of that great trumpet work on Ra's earliest records and is co-composer of "Enlightenment" IIRC -- played with both. I bet in the '60s in the world of downtown NYC jazz bohemia, they moved in the same circles. There's a story that goes around, who knows if its true, that Mingus came across Ra at the Five Spot one day and asked "What are you doing here?" And Ra said something like, "I come here often," and Mingus said, "No, I mean on Earth." East Village jazz bohemia in the 1960s wasn't that big a world.

10. ILovethebassclarinet

I've seen that, but it's probably been 25 years or so; somehow didn't pick up that Gilmore was in it. JG, of course, is on Blakey's Limelight set:

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – 'S Make It

The LOC link didn't work for me...:
    "Sorry! We can't find what you're looking for."

frightwigwam likes this.
  11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I never saw the movie and just skimmed the clip and I didn't lay eyes on Gilmore. But apparently he's in the credits as part of that ensemble, and there's some great tenor playing on there.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Benny Carter - Swingin` The 20`s (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-339-2)

One of the forgotten gems of the Contemporary late 50`s catalog. The Quartet (Leroy Vinnegar, Earl Hines and Shelly Manne) revisits some old 20`s tunes with Carter on alto and trumpet. Swingin` The 20`s indeed.

[​IMG]

13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Somehow I think I added an "h" to the url here it is: MINGUS

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  14. ILovethebassclarinet

I never really appreciated Hines until the early '80s, when I was able to hear both the RCAs from the 1940s, and numerous of Hines' later solo piano LPs, which just may be my favorites.

dennis the menace likes this.
  15. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Ike Quebec - The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions (Blue Note 0946 3 11441 2 7)

The warm tone of Ike Quebec on 26 tracks on 2 CDs recorded during four different late fifties, early sixties sessions.

[​IMG]

Berthold, Sorcerer, SJR and 9 others like this.
  16. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

John Coltrane- Lush Life - SACD
    [​IMG]

Sorcerer, SJR, Six String and 7 others like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes indeed. I should send Archie copies from my collection of spirituals.

If I get around to that, I will include the rare recordings of Bayard Rustin singing spirituals.

Bayard Rustin (1912-1987), 17 years older than Martin Luther King, was the principal influence on King in teaching him the principles of non-violence.

Rustin was also the lead organizer of the 1963 March on Washington. His contributions were critical to the achievement of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Rustin could have had a very successful career as a classical singer, but that option was not open to him as a black man

But Rustin's historical role is still largely overlooked, because he was an openly gay man.

Bayard Rustin and King at different times in their many years of work together. Note Rustin's lapel pin in the second image (=, for equal rights)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rustin (in glasses), standing behind King at the Lincoln Memorial, 1963 March on Washington.

[​IMG]

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Watched yesterday's "Black Lightning" this morning and it opened with a Sly song and so. . . .

Sly & the Family Stone "There's a Riot Goin' On"
    [​IMG]

19. [​IMG]
    LIVE AT RONNIE SCOTT'S - YUSEF LATEEF (GEARBOX) CD

Bass – Rick Laird / Drums –
    Bill Eyden / Flute, Shenai, Woodwind [Xun], Tenor Saxophone – Yusef Lateef / Piano – Stan Tracey

Recorded Ronnie Scott's, January 15th 1966 - Issued on CD by Gearbox 2017 in single carboard cover with sleevenotes - LP edition was issued 2016

The disc was mastered by Darrel Sheinman and Caspar Sutton-Jones at Gearbox Records from the original master tapes courtesy of Les Tompkins

A totally enjoyable session with a playing time just under 43 minutes.

20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

A good find at Dusty Groove:

[​IMG]

21. What LP cover art books would you recommend?

Just curious but is the Wardell Grey 70s reissue listed as stereo actually mono?

NP: Flora Purim - Encounter (Milestone 1977)

Purim's records tapped several Milestone superstars (Tyner, Henderson, Carter).
    A breezy Brazilian-influenced set.
    [​IMG]

22. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Thanks for that. My local store doe have at least one of the Bluebird LPs, or at least it did late last month - not Volume 1, which I had been looking for, but maybe Vol 2 or 3. I doubt they've left the store. That Fats Bluebird set was sitting there almost every time I flipped through the Ws - he didn't even get his own section card, which I think also hid him from most customers' eyes. The store has completely beefed up their space for the recent reissues series from Blue Note et al, which I think is getting most of the draw from customers. I don't know how much Fats sells around here.

Bradd and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  23. ILovethebassclarinet

How does the piano sound? I've a few of those mid-60s sets with Tracy from Ronnie Scott's and the piano generally sounds as what I'd describe as 'boxy.' I don't mean Tracy's playing, but the instrument/recording itself. In what I've heard, it sounded like an issue with the original recording, but potentially, every night is different. If the piano sounds great, then I'm even more interested...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  24. ILovethebassclarinet

The 1976 Prestige/Fantasy twofer I have makes no representation of being either mono or stereo, just notes that the music is from 78s. While it's been awhile, I have to say that I always figured it was mono, but then too, I generally don't listen for mono v. stereo impressions, unless the musical content is also different; as in, for example, I was reading yesterday in Lord (disco) that Earl Bostic re-recorded his earlier mono hit recordings years later in stereo with different musicians and then released them as if they were the same...
    I'll throw it on sometime today and get back to you after I see what I think based on listening.

davidpoole likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Please let me know before you even think of doing that.

[​IMG]