OLED vs QLED and so on...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Guess the delivery guys / calibration will be wearing masks.

head_unit likes this.
  2. Pretty well talked myself into finally replacing my beloved Panny ZT60 with an LG OLED 77” around Black Friday if a good price shows up. They’re still bloody expensive, but better than 6 months ago. Fingers crossed they drop a bit more.

I want a larger picture. :D

head_unit and alexpop like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Depends on how many you watch. What we generally do when we do a long project -- like a weeklong 2.40 home video feature -- is we leave up a full-screen 50% gray pattern, which you can download for free and put on a thumbdrive. It'll eliminate any subtle burn in after a few minutes. The worst thing you can have (worse than letterbox or pillerbox) are bright white graphics, like sports scores, video game readouts, or news logos like CNN or MSNBC. That still really pollutes the screen over time.

4. alexpop

77”? Way to go, bro. :thumbsup:

head_unit likes this.
  5. alexpop

Can’t you just enlarge the picture so you don’t see logos .. fine for news. But understandably cropped tv movies?

head_unit likes this.
  6. alexpop

Prices ? You’ll think tv prices would drop as folk don’t have the money now.Saying that the tv manufactures know the theatres / cinemas sales are down cause of Covid .. home entertainment is where’s it at this Christmas/ New Year.

head_unit likes this.
  7. Thanks for this info. The image retention/burn-in issue has kept me from purchasing an OLED due to my viewing habits and occasional video gaming. Do you know if this issue is inherent to OLEDs regardless, or whether there’s a way manufacturers can solve for this but maybe haven’t yet due to costs?

head_unit likes this.
  8. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

This place offers inspection, break-in and calibration for an extra fee before delivering the tv to you so it will be ready to go out of the box: https://www.valueelectronics.com/site/mobile?url=https://www.valueelectronics.com/Home_Page.php#2629

head_unit likes this.
  9. Stereosound

If you are that worried about burn in you either need to get an LCD or wait for either QNED or MicroLED. QNED might be out in just a couple of years (maybe prototype shown at CES in a couple of months) whereas MicroLED will take more like a decade or more unless they come up with a major manufacturing breakthrough sooner.

Shawn likes this.
  10. alexpop

What about 3D Sans glasses TV ?

11. Stereosound

They tried 3D and it didn’t take off so you will have to look for an older used tv. They won’t be trying again anytime soon. Maybe in the far distant future but not anytime soon.

12. alexpop

Yes well aware it didn’t take off the 3D TVs that is. Plenty 3D Blu ray titles still appearing. No doubt for folks that have a projector.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  13. It didn’t help 3D (which I love, btw) TVs in that they show more a ‘fishbowl’ with added depth but never had anything appearing virtually in front of the screen.

14. alexpop

Guess Sony‘s Home Cinema In Box will be popular this December.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, all sets have image retention to a point. I've seen severe burn in on plasma and LCD as well, and even CRTs from the old days. The key is: don't let a static image sit on the set for a long time.

Projectors can burn-in as well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    ffracer, Shawn and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. I decided to start looking around to see if the prices on the 77" set have started dropping as we approach the "extended" Black Friday sales period (they have, a little bit, but I think they will drop a bit more in a week or 2), when I looked at the LG website and noticed that the CX is no longer the "latest/greatest" model. It looks like the GX is. I did a quick look at the specs and it looks like one of the biggest differences is inclusion of the ATSC 3.0 spec for OTA Broadcast. Probably not worth it where I am (last I checked I had 3-4 channels available at my location, and nothing that I don't already get with DirecTV service.)

Not sure if there are any other major differences that would justify an additional $1k for the GX model.

17. Stereosound

18. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I’ve had a Samsung 65” plasma and recently bought a LG OLED 77”. I spent the first couple of weekends binge watching Netflix and Amazon prime 4K UHD content. Amazing picture quality.

19. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I would have bought OLED but every model had the most reflective screen I have ever seen. It would have been like looking into a mirror 8-12 hours a day.

20. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

OLED is the only reason to buy a new TV set for me. Not 4K, not HDR (although HDR on OLED is doublegood), not 3D. So far only OLED can offer the truest blackest black. Blade Runner should look proper. But so far my 2007 50-inch plasma has not broken, so I am not buying.

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have to admit that OLED does have the best, richest blacks I have seen on any TV.

Other than that, the Samsung Quantum Dot comes in 2nd.

mikeyt likes this.
  22. As said, many times, OLED looks great vs. LCD. buuuut....

It will not last in hours used nearly as long as LCD. The limiting life span factor with LCD is primarily the LED backlight aging and then quality of the electronics. Assuming using good quality components, a good LCD will last for 50,000 hours before the backlight gets really dim, some will go much farther than that. That's likely decades for a lot of people. Some low quality sets fail simply because of part quality, not tech. Others like a few of my monitors and a TV are still going after 10+ years....

LED light bulbs are the same issue. Good electronics and the bulb lasts 10-20 years easily. Cheap electronics (usually not using ceramic capacitors) and they may make 3 years with a perfectly good LED emitter that can't work any more without a driver circuit. A bulb maker has to charge more for a better bulb since you aren't going to replace it for many years, vs. 3 year lifespan. You get what you pay for. TVs same thing.

OLED's big issue is differential aging of the pixels. Since there is no backlight, the aging factor is actual self emitting organic pixel material. It is fundamental to the materials used. An algorithm is designed to compensate over time to keep the picture as even in color as possible. At some point, it can only do so much.

So if you want great picture and do not plan to keep the TV for many years, OLED is great. Self emitting vs. backlit has a fundamental advantage in picture due to optics.

23. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

OLED pixels are rated to last 100,000 hours.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What is "many years"?

In my experience, you'll likely have another hardware failure (power supply, HDMI board) before the dimming is noticeable or simply unwatchable.

mikeyt and CDV like this.
  25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Will they dim or just fail completely?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.