Artists Who Covered Their Own Songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trixmay 988, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really like this remake. Not better but different and still fun! :righton:

ARK likes this.
  2. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz The Fifth Bangle

A good version of someone who has covered their own song is Bob Welch and Sentimental Lady.

Originally recorded during the Fleetwood Mac Bare Trees sessions in 1972, but the big version was the one he did in 1977 for his French Kiss album (With Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie!) I own both albums on vinyl.

Lost In The Flood, ARK and barryalan like this.
  3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

In 1967, Del Shannon re-recorded "Runaway" at a slower tempo and with strings, produced by Andrew Loog Oldham in London.

Maybe it's just me, but some of the backing and chord changes reminds me of "In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans, which came a bit later.

joy stinson likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Great song, both versions! :righton:

joy stinson and Oatsdad like this.
  5. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

About half of the material on Bryan Ferry's 3rd album was him covering his own tunes that he did previously with Roxy Music.

6. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

The Human League's Being Boiled.

Original single in 1978.
    Re-recorded for the Holiday '80 EP in 1980.
    Martyn Ware also recorded a new version with Heaven 17 in 2008.

Jim B., rikki nadir and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz The Fifth Bangle

Also Styx re-recorded Lady with Tommy Shaw in 1995 for their Greatest Hits album. (The original version, released in 1973, featured guitarist John Curulewski, as Tommy Shaw did not join until 1976.)

carlwm likes this.
  8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Sadly this:

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

PEDANT ALERT!

I replied to your above post -stand by my comment, by the way - but something has niggled away at the back of my memory. Went & checked, and the 1991 album, with the original version of Ships, was No Place Like Home, as, no doubt, you know! I'm sure it was just what we used to call a slip of the pen, back in the dark ages! :righton:

10. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

If you like re-recordings, you could buy entire CD sets full of them -- often not disclaimed as re-recordings, or falsely advertised as "Original Hits", featuring singers decades past their vocal prime, and groups like the Drifters which had changed their entire lineup multiple times since the original versions -- and with the finest Casio keyboards and electronic drum machines replacing the original musicians.

[​IMG]

Lost In The Flood and Dodoz like this.
  11. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

James Taylor did "Rainy Day Man" on both his 1968 S/T debut from Apple and his 1979 Columbia album Flag. Also originally did it with the Flying Machine, though he did not intend for that version to be released and it ultimately came out I in between.

12. I Melt with You by Modern English-they re-recorded the song in 1990.
    Colin Blunstone of The Zombies re-recorded She’s Not There as Neil MacArthur and re-recorded it under his 0wn name.

joy stinson likes this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Oh man, these are dreadful. I don't know these ones in specific but there have been countless cheapo supermarket CDs featuring cheesy re-recordings of classics. Very difficult to listen to.

I even have one set that includes re-recordings as well as one of the two Alice Cooper songs that are not Alice Cooper at ALL, that somehow were included in all these repackagings of the Toronto 69 show.

The Equals re-recordings are a disgrace. The original recordings are so exciting...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. The single versions of “I Am a Scientist” and “My Valuable Hunting Knife” are also completely different, and more fleshed-out, recordings than the album versions.

15. The Red House Painters included versions of the song “New Jersey” on successive albums - one a solo guitar arrangement, the other a full band recording.

16. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

"Here I Go Again" - Whitesnake (appeared on Saints & Sinner in 1982, then again on Whitesnake in 1987)
    "Beth" - Kiss, with Eric Carr on vocals
    "Money" - Pink Floyd (re-recorded in 1981)...(did Pink Floyd re-record it, or was it just David Gilmour?)

17. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident

has anyone mentioned Alex Chilton?

18. Scat Rabies

Scat Rabies Forum Resident

Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I have three different studio recordings of Journey To The Centre Of The Earth by Rick Wakeman, which was originally recorded live with vocals, choir and orchestra back in 1974.

1. An edited version released on the Classic Tracks album in 1993 - with vocals but without choir and orchestra.

2. An edited, instrumental version on the Greatest Hits album recorded in 1992 and released in 1996 - without vocals, choir and orchestra.

3. An extended version released in 2012 - with vocals, choir and orchestra.

:)

joy stinson likes this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They also re-recorded their greatest hit for Rock Band (as dd a few bands for either contractual or technical reasons):

SpudOz likes this.
  21. Hookian

Hookian Forever 80s

New Order released Ceremony as a single in early 1981 and re-recorded and released it again later that year. Temptation and Confusion were recorded in 1982 and 1983, respectively and re-recorded them for the Substance release in 1987. They recorded True Faith in 1987 and re-recorded it in 1994. I believe any other re-releases by them were flat out remixes.

Cledwyn and BigManRestless like this.
  22. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Brian Wilson has covered some of his Beach Boys songs solo, 'Let Him Run Wild' is one

oldsurferdude likes this.
  23. Mju-Sick

Mju-Sick Throatwobbler Mangrove a.k.a. Raymond Luxury Yacht

If it's not mentioned. Jeff Lynne re-recorded ELO-songs. (Why re-record something that great is a mystery)

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  24. Mju-Sick

Mju-Sick Throatwobbler Mangrove a.k.a. Raymond Luxury Yacht

Ringo Starr has re-recorded Back off boogaloo two times

Scott57 and joy stinson like this.
  25. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

The Stones - Country Honk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.