Great Albums cobbled together from leftovers from previous album sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:righton:

2. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

Oh yeah definitely

georgwithoutane likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep. I'm pretty sure those two tracks were rerecorded 1981 versions though, rather than the original versions from 1980. I wish they'd included 1980 Yoko recordings on M&H, since it would have made the album sound more coherent and the 1980 DF band was better than the guys Yoko used on her 1983 recordings. There were at least three 1980 Yoko tracks available... Nobody Sees Me Like You Do, Silver Horse, and Don't Be Scared. And they could have stuck Walking on Thin Ice on there also.

Library Eye and linklinc like this.
  4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

Islands was cobbled together in the sense that they weren't specifically working on an album project after Northern Lights-Southern Cross but none of the material on Islands came from earlier album sessions (except maybe an embryonic version of the title track).

Having their own studio meant that they could just work on stuff without being focused on an album but once they had come up with the concept for "The Last Waltz" film and album on Warner Bros. they needed to give Capitol a final album before changing label so pulled Islands together from the stuff they had been doing since the previous LP.

All the more impressive since they went ahead and rehearsed and performed The Last Waltz in the middle of pulling this one together!

czeskleba likes this.
  5. adadad

adadad Forum Resident

Elvis Costello- Taking Liberties

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, I think the claim that Islands was a collection of outtakes strikes me as typical Robbie Robertson revisionism. He knows the album is rated poorly relative to most of the rest of the catalog, and reframing it that way lowers the bar for critique. But like you said, the only song on there that predates NLSC is the title song, so nothing besides maybe that can realistically be called an outtake. When the recording of the rest of the album was done, they knew they were creating and assembling material for a contractual obligation album.

limoges likes this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I think Robbie's point is valid - it was a mish mash of tracks including the previously issued "Georgia On My Mind", a Christmas song that was written and considered for a single in 1975, the title track which began in 1973 [same with the previous album's "Jupiter Hollow", incidentally], etc..

He's is just pointing out that it differs from the other Band albums ("Jupiter Hollow" notwithstanding) in that they were not thinking in terms of an album of songs when the various tracks were first laid down. "Outtakes" might be a bit strong but if that's how he sees it who am I to argue.

I see that Wikipedia has it that Robbie Robertson compares the album to Odds & Sods in the [2001] CD liner notes but that was Rob Bowman!

mbrownp1 likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Was just talking about this one on another thread concerning soundtracks. Peter Gabriel manufactured the soundtrack for Birdy out of remixed versions of older material.
    [​IMG]

Runicen and BrentB like this.
  9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Surely that was classed as a compilation.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  10. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

And unauthorized product like the Stones' Metamorphosis - and maybe the Julie Felix album mentioned earlier (but I don't know the history of that).

11. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Absolutely, Let It Be

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, Robertson referred to the tracks as "b-sides and outtakes" and of course none of them were b-sides (prior to the release of Islands) and only one could be described as an outtake. They may not have been thinking of a specific album project when the recorded the songs, but they knew they owed Capitol one more album and they certainly didn't think all those songs might be singles, so they knew they would likely end up on an album. Robertson is a guy who plays fast and loose with facts sometimes (eg his sleight of hand regarding the Band tracks on The Basement Tapes album) and this strikes me as another example of that.

limoges likes this.
  13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"To me, it was a record of B-sides and outtakes" - in the context of the full quote I take it to mean that in his mind Islands is different from the other albums due to the way it was put together without any significant forethought.

He actually seems rather fond of the album and, as he explains, is just being a little defensive about it (he says the others felt the same way).

mbrownp1 and czeskleba like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Exactly - and mostly previously released material, not discarded songs that'd remained in the can...

15. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Not totally from previous sessions, but Fairport Convention's Rosie album sessions began when the band was reduced to two members - Dave Pegg and Dave Swarbrick calling in favours from ex-members and associates (Richard and Linda Thompson, Sandy Denny, Dave Mattacks, Ralph McTell, most of Fotheringay).

They ran out of money, so when Trevor Lucas and Jerry Donahue had agreed to join, they took two sets of multi-tracks from the abandoned sessions for the 2nd Fotheringay album, removed Pat Donaldson's bass part and put on a new Dave Pegg bass part. Hey presto - two new Fairport songs.

[​IMG]

16. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

What a shame Fotheringay broke up. Loved their album.

simoncm likes this.
  17. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight Thread Starter

fantastic album!

18. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Jerry D prepared a reconstructed "Fotheringay 2" album a few years back, that was semi successful - but almost all the songs had already appeared on other projects by Sandy and Fairport.

Andy Batt (forum member @AndyB ) put both albums, a live disc and many outtakes into a 3CD/1DVD box called Nothing More which I highly recommend if it can still be found.

Aar Gal likes this.
  19. [​IMG]
    Hawkwind's PXR5 cobbled together from previous album session leftovers, demos and some live songs overdubbed in the studio. Amazingly it all works to make a good album.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    newelectricmuse likes this.
  20. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I think some of those Fotheringay 2 sessions were also reused on Sandy Denny's first solo album.

21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Oh look honey, another RR hater.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep. Anyone who says something even remotely critical of an artist you like must invariably be be a “hater.”

The Internet: home of thin-skinned fans and black and white thinking.

23. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Although he himself always had great disdain for it, I always enjoyed the Blue Thumb album Headkeeper by Dave Mason. Some pretty decent table scraps on that one.

phillyal1 likes this.
  24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Nope...only small minded people who are gratuitously nasty about them. Especially when they don't know ANYTHING about the subject and his/her motivations.

25. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

The Blues Project Live at Town Hall only had 3 live tracks (and two of them weren't even recorded at Town Hall) and the rest were studio from sessions that predated the Projections albums plus a couple of singles with applause appended.

NumberEight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.