The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Port Chester 18 feb 71... damn that's an awesome DS>Warf Rat>DS. Is that the fabled Beautiful Jam? Loving that loose, funky Truckin' as well.

BTW, after yesterday's disappointment concerning Festival Express, I tried to return it. After some hassle getting the label printed, the barcode wasn't recognized by DHL. So I contacted Amazon.com, who, after some haggling, offered me a full refund, without me having to return the disc. That's considerate of them.

KCWhistle, ARK, trd and 6 others like this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I don't recall what was played that night but I seem to recall it being a call in show and I wasn't the only guest.

I also don't recall that show being 3 sets but it's possible I guess. unless they are mixing it up with the 74 show. this is from 7/16/72.

[​IMG]

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I think Jaimoe lives in Hartford these days, or at least in the area; A customer at a store I used to run said he used to jam with him sometimes.

Interesting to see the organ onstage there, judging by the paint it seems like the Allmans' rig. I would have sworn someone was playing organ on the first couple of numbers, but the sound was a bit muddy and I figured I was just imagining it in all the background noise.

budwhite, ARK, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Ill find something to go nuts over, try me :D

KCWhistle, US Blues, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Gregg's gear was set up but he ended up just watching. I seem to be the only person remembering betts playing on sugar Magnolia before Jaimoe and berry came out. The tapes don't help my statement either. Of course the dead repaid the favor the next night at gaelic Park.

budwhite, Jamcoy, ARK and 3 others like this.
  6. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

channel corrected version via CM of 2-23-74 available.

7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm hitting a little bit of a funk and it's keeping me away from the Dead, I don't like it. Was hoping that the new DaP might help shake loose that funk, but who knows when that will wing my way finally. Found out yesterday that one of my absolute favorite independent labels, Beyond Beyond is Beyond (who has released all of the killer Garcia Peoples records) is shutting down. Then found out this morning that our local movie theater is never reopening, it's been a bummer of a week. Not sure what culture we're going to have left when this whole thing finally blows over.

KCWhistle, sami, warewolf95 and 5 others like this.
  8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Played the new version of 2/22 yesterday. With the sound check included it clocks in at 4 hrs 11 mins. Like a lot of these 74 shows it was a bit patchy and sprawling but with some major highlights.

warewolf95, US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Great show and the end of a real nice run in general.

rockinlazys and warewolf95 like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hampton and Byrne were really good. By Hartford, Jerry got a bad cold and those shows and Worcester are rougher going overall, although the final shows at each venue are solid.

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, I understand that. My point is that I have a feeling, without knowing the DR levels, that Norman seems to be mastering at higher levels lately, making the more recent picks less crankable. I could be wrong, because, again, I don’t know the DR numbers...

warewolf95, frightwigwam and uzn007 like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That’s not too bad, although I agree, DR isn’t everything.

warewolf95 and uzn007 like this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I seem to remember reading that at one show Jerry tried to sing "Crazy Fingers" and was so frustrated with his voice that he threw his mic to the ground.

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I didn’t see that one, but believe it. He also played Black Peter two nights in a row at Worcester.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't heard those shows yet but the review in the Compendium is funny.

warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  16. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Yeah crappy news about BBiB. I probably own double digit releases from them.

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Dave's Picks are slightly less compressed over the past 3-4 years than prior to that, and much less than any current official releases by other bands (except for the occasional download from nug.net). Source quality varies, though; listen again to 2/26/77 or 6/23/74 Picks for very nice sound quality

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Crazy fingers was very rough in that show, but then they did Franklin's Tower right after and that was much better.

warewolf95, US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yeah, just a quick scan of their bandcamp page shows I have more than 25.

johnnypaddock and warewolf95 like this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is Dave’s Picks #13 — Winterland, San Francisco, CA, 24/02/74.
    (24 February, 1974 or 2/24/74 ;))

A truly majestic Pick, one of my absolute favourites. There’s a warm and relaxed looseness to proceedings here, it’s smooth and mellow with some real fluid playing and gooey jamming; yet it’s tight and right in the pocket. It all sounds rather gorgeous; pure blissful, jazzy-tinged perfection.

A special mention to Keith, whose keys throughout (as usual during this period), are absolutely stellar—his beautiful embellishments adding extra layers to the songs and jams. Also, Jerry’s honey guitar tones here are dreamy and sumptuous. I love it.

It’s such a good show, it’s really all one huge, long 3+ hours highlight!

“Whatever is going on in the rest of the world, if it’s wars or kidnappings or crimes, this is a peaceful Sunday night with the Grateful Dead” . . .

1st Set:
    • Candyman — the show takes off here; really soulful with a completely out-there, sublime solo and heavenly vocals and harmonies all-round, this is arguably the greatest ever version (certainly one of the best I’ve heard) and is a set highlight;
    • Jack Straw — a perfectly smooth and buttery version with some tasty guitar licks;
    • China > Rider — a fairly unhurried version, with it’s wonderfully melodic, effortlessly fluid Feelin’ Groovy transition jam; an exemplary China > Rider, up there amongst the all-timer’s;
    • Loser — this has such a chilled tone to it, with again, some neat-sounding fluid jamming;
    • PITB — an exploratory, creative PITB that ventures far-out into epic jazz-psychedelia territory; one of the best of the year, closes the 1st set.
    2nd Set:
    • Cumberland Blues — a rare 2nd set opener, this barnburner is an extra jammy country-rockin’ rave-up full of twangy guitars and good times;
    • Bertha — I always love this song, and here it’s played to intricate jammy perfection;
    • WRS — I just love this whole suite, and ‘74 is the year for ‘em; this is a beautifully pristine version; followed by back-to-back ballads Row Jimmy and Ship Of Fools, which, on paper you might think about skipping, but they’re both so gorgeously executed, this is the real heart of the show;
    • Dark Star > Morning Dew — the show highlight; with its ending Spanish Jam teases, this huge and sprawling, experimental and jazzy Dark Star is wonderful, packed with passages of intricate, shimmering jamming, featuring exceptional band interplay and a heavenly transition jam into an emotionally intense and yearning, powerfully strong Morning Dew, which is spine-chilling, complete with its own gloriously exquisite outro jam—a stunning sequence; the Sugar Mags that follows is also a smokin’ top-drawer rocker;
    • NFA > GDTRFB > NFA — a rip-roarin’ rollicking good time with Bobby going ballistic, sounding like a man possessed during the NFA reprise;
    • It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue — a rare treat; despite some lyrical flubs this tender, poignant gem of a Dylan cover is a sweet and wistful closer—a perfect ending to a pretty much perfect show.
    “See ya next month at the Cow Palace, I hope” . . .

I: U.S. Blues, Mexicali Blues, Brown-Eyed Women, Beat It On Down The Line, Candyman, Jack Straw, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, El Paso, Loser, Playing In The Band.

II: Cumberland Blues, It Must Have Been The Roses, Big River, Bertha, Weather Report Suite > Row Jimmy, Ship Of Fools, Promised Land, Dark Star > Morning Dew, Sugar Magnolia > Not Fade Away > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad > Not Fade Away.

E: It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue.

[​IMG]
    1974/2015 Grateful Dead Productions ‎– R2-547316

laf848, budwhite, KCWhistle and 21 others like this.
  21. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

5/6/90 on Sirius now

warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Dark Star -> end is something I’d consider worthy of my last party

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Agreed. A stunning sequence. Just when you think there’d be nothing left in the tank after that Dark Star > Dew, they rock out for another 35-minutes or so with another super sequence!

24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

(12/31/76 pre-FM source vs. "odd sounding" official multitrack).
    I need to cue them up to give a detailed fresh perspective. Next couple days. I think my answer is going to be along the lines of weird audience track seepage, similar to the Winterland 10/74 tapes, and some kind of reverb thing going on, can't remember exactly. I think 3/15/90 official has that reverb thing happening as well.

ARK and warewolf95 like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Interesting, thanks. I do need to spin 2/26/77 and 6/23/74 again, only played them once when they arrived. Of course, I was long familiar with both shows.

warewolf95 likes this.