A movie you had to watch in class that became a favorite

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Price.pittsburgh, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

One of my high school teachers showed us ' Chariots of the Gods ' in class.
    One of the more religious souls in the class got uptight about it and told her patents who complained to the school board and so on and so on.....

hi_watt likes this.
  3. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Pretty much the only movie we watched in class - "Rebel Without A Cause". Oh, it's possible I first saw "If" in school too, in which case that's definitely a favourite, particularly machine-gunning the school from the roof at the end.

4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Signal 30.

:hide:

hi_watt, scott palmiter and Tommy Jay like this.
  5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

A Night At The Opera. At the time I wasn't familiar with The Marx Brothers, but this was a great introduction to the team.

A Shot In The Dark: I think this was my introduction the Pink Panther series. Although The Pink Panther was the first movie in the series, it bore little resemblance to what the series became. A Shot In The Dark introduced all of the things we've come to expect from the series, and it is a flat-out funny movie.

guy incognito and hi_watt like this.
  6. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

Oliver!

EdgardV likes this.
  7. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe Forum Resident

Sophomore year English/Film Studies we watched a different film every couple weeks. One that is still a favorite to this day is Marty with Ernest Borgnine.

8. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

zeffirelli's romeo and juliet, and streetcar named desire.

EdgardV likes this.
  9. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Ha! We did that as a musical in my final year. Never saw the screen adaptation, though. Same with Oklahoma!

Our whole school would occasionally book the local theater for "important" movies. Chariots of Fire, Gandhi and 1984 (nudity!!) spring to mind. Of those three, I'll watch Chariots any time, any place. OTOH, we spent a ton of time on To Kill a Mockingbird, but I never saw the movie until long after school. Tortilla Flat, also.

We also flogged King Lear to death and saw a UK adaptation, but I don't see the version on imdb. It certainly wasn't the Laurence Olivier one.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  10. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

We did that musical in Middle School. I got the part of a flower buyer gliding gracefully around the stage singing "Who will buy?". We had to watch the film in English class as well as watching the B/W version with Alec Guinness & reading Oliver Twist. I loved it & still love it & watch it today.

Other than that all we watched in class was "Psycho" in High School media studies class & the old version of "Romeo & Juliet", the old version of "MacBeth" & "Of Mice & Men" in English. I enjoyed both reading & watching "Romeo & Juliet". I don't like the other films I mentioned.

11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

What class? Film production class? My 7th grade' Film As Literature' class showed "Caine Mutiny" as an example of conscience battle. I ended up really liking it.
    If the OP meant grammar school, then "The Red Balloon" from 1956. The school would show it in the cafeteria/stage area when it rained outside- which wasn't often in Southern California...

12. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

We watched Shawshank Redemption in our high school sociology class in the 90s (yes, I'm a bit younger than most here :) . I saw it once before that, but enjoyed it more with each viewing.

hi_watt and EdgardV like this.
  13. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

9 1/2 Weeks
    9½ Weeks (1986) - IMDb

It was for some women's studies-related course I had to take as my 3rd gen ed requirement. There were other more rigorous academic courses I could have selected, but I figured I'd sign up for something a little easier AND something that would have a favorable Female:Male ratio.

The course was about as difficult as I expected, and there was an outstanding F:M ratio.

hi_watt and rocnred like this.
  14. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Pygmalion
    The Life and Death of Col. Blimp
    Goodbye, Mr. Chips
    (1939)
    Of Mice and Men (1939)
    Edison the Man
    Julius Caesar
    (1953)
    Some Like it Hot
    Inherit the Wind

15. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

My high school had a “film studies” class that showed movies including The Good the Bad and the Ugly and The Godfather. The former immediately became my favorite movie when I saw it and the latter is probably my favorite film now.

16. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Forum Resident

17. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Closest thing would probably be "Deliverance".

18. rocnred

rocnred Southwest Desert Freak-a-zoid

Duck and cover - elementary school
    Narcotics : Pit of Despair - middle school
    Red Asphalt - high school
    Psycho - high school

hi_watt and Scowl like this.
  19. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

I wouldn't say that it is a favorite, but I do like it, we were required to watch Dr. Strangelove.

20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

We saw Gallipoli in history class, the Mel Gibson WWI story. It would be impossible for me not to tear up a little hearing "What are your legs? Springs. Steel springs. What are they going to do? Hurl me down the track. How fast can you run? As fast as a leopard. How fast are you going to run? As fast as a leopard. Then lets see you do it."

hi_watt likes this.
  21. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

The only movie I saw in class that wasn't an "educational" movie was "The
    Truth About Spring". I watched it in class back in 1974 & loved it because it
    had Hayley Mills. That movie is part of my library I'm happy to say.
    [​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  22. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

All The Preeidemt's Men.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

Looks like I have a little different take than most.

Nature's Half Acre
    Hemo the Magnificent
    Our Mr.Sun

I just watched "Hemo the Magnificent"on YouTube few months ago.
    I really loved these movies then and they have always stayed with me.

24. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Citizen Kane - which I thought was going to be a complete "eat your vegetables" experience: "Ok, classic film...critics love it...teacher is screening it, then asking for an essay...let's get this over with".

...and it blew me away. Made me want to give so many other classics I'd dismissed a chance, so I hit the video stores are started renting The Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, and La Strada. Citizen Kane was a gateway classic movie...and I needed another hit.

25. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

It is very popular now, some may say even played out, but back in 1982, in high school, I had never seen It's a Wonderful Life. Thought it was great and still do.

guy incognito and HorseyAnn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.