OLED vs QLED and so on...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Dim. But you'll never notice. I've had a Pioneer Elite plasma for 10.5 years. I measured the fL output recently, and yes it dimmed from when it was new. But I would have never known, just visually. You can simply raise the contrast to compensate. Of course you can adjust your grayscale as well. But if you don't know how to fine-tune grayscale, then it never bothered you in the first place :)

Alan G. likes this.
  2. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

When I bought my plasma fourteen years ago, I calibrated it myself. I bought a Spyder sensor, installed an app, carefully set grayscale and colors and contrast. Did it for a couple of my friends. Later, I would run a THX test from one of the DVDs I have, for example Moulin Rouge has a quick THX setup section, and I have blue-tinted glasses. But really, who cares? :D

3. That is the point. Some brands of monitors and TVs will last beyond that and the dimming will be noticeable, i.e. beyond 10-15 years. Some won't make it a few years without a hardware failure and dimming doesn't matter.

What has been seen is that is binary. LCDs either last a very long time or very short time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.