Great Albums cobbled together from leftovers from previous album sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Would Elvis Costello's 'All This Useless Beauty' qualify?

2. 21st Century Schizoid Cat

21st Century Schizoid Cat Sleepy soul

Well I mean, they're outtakes in the sense that the entire Lifehouse album was an outtake.

georgwithoutane likes this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

An ironic criticism coming from someone who knows nothing about me or my motivations.

Among Band fans, there is a subset of people who buy into Levon Helm's rants and view Robbie Robertson as some sort of scheming manipulator who screwed his bandmates. If you'd read any of the lengthy Band-related threads here, you'd have seen that I've actually spent a lot of time defending Robertson against some of the more outrageous accusations and unfounded claims made by Helm and perpetuated by his acolytes.

Dismissing someone as a hater is a simplistic way to disagree with their opinion without bothering to engage in the substance of the discussion or to make any attempt to refute the things you disagree with. As I said, it's generally the tactic of thin-skinned fans who believe their idol is above any criticism whatsoever.

hoggydoggy likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not if the Wiki entry is correct, as it indicates the album was recorded after "Brutal Youth".

It started out as a different kind of project, but it doesn't sound like the tracks come from leftovers created in earlier years.

All This Useless Beauty - Wikipedia

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

"Lifehouse" was simply an abandoned project that developed into "Who's Next".

I think the OP wants albums with tracks recorded during sessions for albums that did get released but that were then resurrected later.

Ala the original example of "Tattoo You", which stretched back a few albums for some of its songs.

The Who didn't produce any other new albums between "Lifehouse" and "Who's Next", so "Who's Next" is just what came of the "Lifehouse" development...

linklinc, Colocally and czeskleba like this.
  6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Would Steve Miller's Book of Dreams count? I've never been able to get a good breakdown regarding if the tracks were all recorded during the Fly Like an Eagle sessions and just leftovers or did they record more later to fill the album out.

7. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

That's a curious one, but based on the criteria, no, it was recorded specifically to be a cohesive album, just with songs that EC had written for other artists (or other songs that were a little older).

8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I only know what you wrote, in an absolute fashion, without any backup whatsoever.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Jobriath's second album is made up entirely with outtakes from his first.

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

It is disingenuous to say the newer tracks were "leftovers" from Works 1. They always planned a Vol 2. You'd be hanging your hat on Tiger in a Spotlight, the 1 leftover track from pre-Works sessions. Everything else was already released on 45s or was recorded for Works.

12. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

This album wasn't passed off as a "new" album. It was marketed as a collection of singles and tracks that were on UK versions of EC's albums that were trimmed off in the US.

phillyal1 and Michael Macrone like this.
  13. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

The word great is often bandied around with careless abandon. I happen to think Alice Cooper Goes To Hell was a poor album but some say it's great. Anyway a bunch of it was supposed to be leftovers from the great Welcome To My Nightmare.

14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I believe three tracks where unused from the BSS sessions- Tiger in a Spotlight, When the Apples Blossom & Brain Salad Surgery but, two of those where released as B sides.

altaeria likes this.
  15. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

How about Pink Floyd/Relics? It is pretty great.
    Well I love BWS...

16. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Like I said, only Tiger fits the bill as an unused leftover. Hardly satisfies the requirements.

17. Oatsdad

Beatles US albums don't count, as they were bastardizations of UK albums/singles. They didn't take unused songs from old sessions.

Though "Y&T" actually stole from the then-unreleased "Revolver" for 3 songs!

Keith V likes this.
  18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Thought that was also a b side. Will have.to check ?

19. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Is it really cobbled together? All songs were recorded in December of '73

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep. If US Beatles albums count for this thread, one could argue that the US version of Revolver was cobbled together with outtakes from the Yesterday and Today album.

joy stinson likes this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

[​IMG]

Emitt Rhodes : The American Dream

(Arguably the best album under his own name).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    extravaganza likes this.
  22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The search function for this thread yields no results, so I'll nominate Bee Thousand by Guided By Voices - apologies if mentioned already. To quote Mark Prindle:

"It's not a new recording at all, but a compilation of old, revised, overdubbed and/or re-recorded material that they'd written but not released over the previous eight years. Check the musician credits: 3 of the songs were performed by Bob Pollard solo, 4 by Tobin Sprout solo, and the other 13 by ELEVEN different band line-ups! Drummers Kevin Fennell, Don Thrasher and Randy Campbell, bassists Dan Toohey and Greg Demos, guitarist Mitch Mitchell and bassist/guitarist Jim Pollard all mix and match their skills with those of B. Pollard and T. Sprout to create -- somehow, out of the mire -- one of the most enjoyable and deservedly popular albums of their career."

[​IMG]

"You know why I left you for so long..."

23. Oatsdad

While a lot of people have picked albums that don't fit the thread, the good news is this has never happened before on the SHF, and I'm sure it'll never happen again.

People here always fully follow a thread's rules! :laugh:

"Y&T" is a funny one since it borrowed from the band's future, not its past. The only other examples of that I can recall are"Bad Boy" and "Dizzy Miss Lizzy", which they did for "Beatles VI".

At least those were recorded specifically for US albums, whereas the 3 "Revolver" tracks were "stolen"!

limoges, czeskleba and Aar Gal like this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Headkeeper was more like a bunch of work in progress. Mason wasn't happy because it killed his plans to make a live and a studio album.

25. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Probably stronger than Lennon side of DF though some would disagree..

mjd2020 and linklinc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.