Worst TV Variety Shows Ever

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Anybody remember the Smothers Brothers revival on NBC for 13 weeks in 1975? All I remember is the alumni from the CBS show like Pat Paulsen and Leigh French (“Tea Time with Goldie”) reminiscing about how good the previous show was.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Ringo did an episode of that.

O Don Piano and musicfan37 like this.
  3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

4. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Interesting book of the Smothers Brothers by David Bianculli with George Clooney owning the rights to make a film or TV version of the story.

Not Trending likes this.
  5. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

I heard rumours about Clark's temper from time to time but never any details about it. TV Guide even alluded to it for just one sentence in a late '70s article, but didn't give any details at all. I believe what others have written is true, but to be honest, it disappoints me to read this. I'm a game show fan and watch $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid reruns frequently, in addition to a couple of other shows he did. On camera he seemed like such a pleasant and respectful gentleman. I don't know why people with so much success (and money) have to be like that - although I've heard stories about certain other people with game show connections that I'm sure they weren't pleasant people either.

I guess this shouldn't take away from my enjoyment of his old shows. I should watch them for what they are. I guess this goes kind of along with "never meet your heroes" (not that he was a hero, but you get my point) - because they'll always let you down. Shame.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

There are others who say Dick Clark could be a very loyal and honorable guy, plus he kept the same people employed for many years (particularly on variety & awards shows). But I think he was a tough, driven businessman, and there's not a lot of nice guys in that job category.

7. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

They also had a third variety show that lasted one season on CBS in the late '80s.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  8. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Sonny & Chér's show was great fun. It was too bad they changed the name of it to The Sonny & Chér Comedy Hour because it was a good mix of comedy and decent music as the team and her solo had quite a few hits 1971-1974 that they performed, along with a few theme episodes where they performed their 60's material. They had a number of good musical guests. The Bonos were very funny and did have a flair for comedy, both in their opening patter and various skits. The later shows (Dawn, Osmonds, The Dragons) tried to duplicate it but could not equal this one.

9. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

........however "salacious" it could've been.....It would not surprise me,it's always the ones who project a "wholesome",
    milquetoast persona that are the ones caught with their hand in the "candy" jar:winkgrin:......I'll keep a heads up...make sure my National Enquirer sub is up to date.

10. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I had a relative who was convinced it was all Dick Clark's fault for Perry Mason going off the air for good. Clark was the guilty one in the final episode of Perry Mason, y'see...

Simon A and Vidiot like this.
  11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Didn't Dick Clark also appear in the final episode of Police Squad! before it was cancelled?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

[​IMG]

pablo fanques and Hanglow like this.
  13. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Agreed. It didn’t seem as hopelessly dated as other variety shows at the time. And Sonny and Cher had very good onscreen chemistry.

Steve Litos likes this.
  14. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I find it amazing that they ended up working together again for a "new" variety show after their divorce and solo TV endeavors..

15. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

I seem to recall Ray Charles appearing and playing saxophone on one of those shows.

16. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Any love (or hate) for The Shields And Yarnell Show? I vaguely remember it.

17. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

From the little I’ve seen, The Don Knotts Show looks pretty lame.

Lee Davis and Paul Gase like this.
  18. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

That's right, he did! He asked Johnny the shoeshine guy to explain to him what ska was, and then hit him up for some more of that Secret Formula Youth Cream. And then he took that show down into the abyss, the fiend! He was also in the penultimate episode of Honey West---I tells ya, Dick Clark turned television into a vast wasteland with his one-shot kiss-of-death appearances!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  19. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I only remember them from their guest spot on The Muppet Show.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

It did not go well. Sonny & Cher had an awkward rapport after their 1975 divorce and I think the audience was a bit uncomfortable. They only agreed to reunite after their own solo shows didn't do nearly as well. Technically, that was a very slick, extremely well-produced show -- I can remember marveling over a lot of camera tricks and chroma keys and stuff they did, which was unusual for that era.

21. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I did, as a child. We had 6 channels to choose from. Often times a variety show was the best choice. Yes, I know. And it was via a variety show that I got my first exposure to Rodney Dangerfield. A life-altering experience.

Altman got much, much better at his craft. His 1990 Showtime special is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, if a little crude by 2021 standards.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I remember thinking Altman was a hack based on "Pink Lady & Jeff" and other TV appearances I saw from him, but his Letterman appearances in the 80s changed my mind.

Not that I liked all of Dave's pals who he'd host - there were some he adored who I couldn't stand, like... George Something? Dull white dude - but Altman showed he had talent.

Same with Leno, who bored me pre-Dave but who was really good on "Late Night"...

Dan C likes this.
  23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I watched more of The Hudson Brothers shows and Sonny & Cher, but I was a little kid! Hudsons had Rod Hull the Emu puppet guy which I found hysterical (it was a more innocent era?). I got the Razzle Dazzle DVD set and it really doesn't hold up all that well, although not so far from Carol Burnett for kids.

[​IMG]

I may've watched a couple minutes of the Krofft Bay City Rollers variety show in comparison, so maybe that was the worst (both for the Kroffts and for variety aimed at kids?)

Charlie Z. and pablo fanques like this.
  24. Have you read many interviews with the guy? Just judging from those, Clark was apparently a lot more cynical and rough-edged than you’d suspect from his TV persona.

25. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, they rode their “robot couple” schtick for all it was worth.

pablo fanques likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.