The Michael Nesmith Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NudieSuitNezHead, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Tommy Burton

Tommy Burton Forum Resident

I've probably got it backwards, but I actually tell people that I like Nez better than The Monkees. Had he been in another group, perhaps his solo work would have been taken a bit more seriously. Don't get me wrong here: I like The Monkees and Monkee music, I just prefer Nez and Nezmusic. He had his hand in a whole bunch of 20th century pop culture (from Jerry Seinfeld and Jack Nicholson to Linda Rondstadt and Bert Jansch. Throw in people like Dwight Yoakam and Douglas Adams to boot. If people like playing that Kevin Bacon game, try doing it with Michael Nesmith. Chances are, he connects somewhere.
    TB

2. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters... Thread Starter

I too, often wonder what his career would have been like had he not been a Monkee. Would he have made the same connections with the Wrecking Crew? Would he have stayed in LA? Would he have gone to Nashville or Mussel Shoals?

sbeck201 likes this.
  3. NudieSuitNezHead

Lately, I've been thinking about this too. His influence is everywhere; but sadly, that influence is rarely acknowledged.

I also listen to WAY more Nez tunes than other Monkees tunes. Like you, I like The Monkees, but most of my fave songs of theirs are Nez tunes!

D-rock and Hooperfan like this.
  4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have to confess that I am not familiar with his solo music, but love the song Different Drum, so I should probably give it a listen. He was my favorite Monkee back in the day. He seemed intelligent and thoughtful and his dry style of humor cracked me up on the show. I do like Peter Tork's later period solo work, and Nez seems to be considered the best musician of the bunch, so I would probably like it.

I am using this as an opportunity to tell my favorite Monkee story (I'm sure I told it before). When we lived in Times Square, my wife and I had parties pretty much every week. A close friend was also friends with Andrew Sandoval, and asked if she could bring him to the party, since he was in town. Of course we said yes!

He was very pleasant and interesting to talk to. He was in town with Peter Tork who was gigging in the NYC that week. This was May of 2013. Andrew asked if we would be interested in being hos guest at a gig Peter was having a few blocks away in a few days at The Iridium.

Of course we went and really had a great time. Peter joined us for drinks between sets and autographed a few CDs for us. I will always remember our wonderful experience with Andrew and Peter.

5. Raylinds

Oh, suggestions of where to start with Nez's solo work would be appreciated.

6. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

Eclectic would be a key word when talking about Nez’ music. If you like his Monkees output then starting with the trilogy - Magnetic South, Loose Salute and Nevada Fighter may be the way to go. I like Nevada Fighter out of those three but I am probably in the minority. Some of these songs the Monkees did but were not originally released, if familiar with those you will have a good knowledge of a few of the tunes. If you like more cosmic type country then Tantamount to Treason is your pick. More standard country on Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash and And the Hits Just Keep on Coming but Hits is just Nez with Red on pedal steel - great LP however! If you like new age (although that is very loose and may be pigeonholing it) the trilogy of The Prison, Garden and Ocean and later release Rays.. Latin influences are on From A Radio Engine and Tropical Campfires. Someone praised Live at the Palais and it is a great LP , he really works different arrangements of songs. Then a more rock LP is Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma. Lots of cool rhythm guitar on that one. Good luck!

Hep Alien, Wil1972, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  7. NudieSuitNezHead

His first three solo albums (aka The Red, White, and Blue Trilogy) are Magnetic South, Loose Salute, and Nevada Fighter. These contain songs you may recognise from his Monkees days. He rerecorded several, including "Nine Times Blue" and "Carlisle Wheeling" (renamed "Conversations"). After those, I'd listen to Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash and And The Hits Just Keep On Coming. These are his most country-sounding albums.

Iving, Ginger Ale, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  8. Raylinds

Thanks!

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  9. Ride_my_llama74

Ride_my_llama74 Well-Known Member

Just got into Nez’s solo work this year thanks to stumbling across the “Cosmic Partners” release on Spotify. That release may still be my favorite as I love the spare arrangements and intimacy of the gig.

Red Rhodes’ work on Nez’s 70’s output definitely takes the songs to another level. As conventional as the country approach may seem I think those records were pushing the boundaries of the genre in a really exciting way. I have yet to check out anything past “And the Hits Keep On Comin” but his sudden shift to new age is intriguing

Hep Alien, JJR, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

New was always my favorite as well.

I have the 5cd Original album Classics box. However, thinking about grabbing the big box of all his albums.

D-rock and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Count me in as a huge fan. I saw him in Chicago in `92 at a small club (The Cubby Bear) that was just flat out excellent. I've seen him several times since (both solo and with The Monkees), but that `92 show was an all-timer.

snepts, D-rock and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Most likely would have made a bit of a mark as a songwriter, as he was starting to do, and perhaps as a producer - but not as a performer or instrumentalist. With as quirky as his talents are, he was lucky to get a huge break getting cast for the Monkees and would not likely have become a big star without that break. Really, getting a big lucky break is crucial for just about anyone to become a star - especially if they don't exuded an awful lot of sexy charisma.

And I consider him absolutely brilliant.

13. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

Not real familiar with his solo stuff although I did know his mother invented liquid paper

14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Love the Nez, those 70s RCA albums are first rate, recommend Tropical Campfires too.

15. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Nesmith is so awesome. Last month, a dream of mine came true. I got to talk to him for 30 minutes. Here's a highlight from that convo

Iving, Hep Alien, cmcintyre and 5 others like this.
  16. Hooperfan

I played Instant Replay yesterday out loud on the stereo system. And when it was finished, my fiancee said, "No more Monkees...unless you wanna play just Mike!" Lol

17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Mike Nesmith, what a great surprise to me.
    I absolutely love the First and Second National band albums, and from an engine to a photon wing ... whatever it's called. Great albums

18. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I had never heard Cosmic Partners, don’t think I knew it existed. What a show!? Incredible performance. Highly recommended.

Anyone have the LP? Tempted to grab one but it’s a $30 picture disc. Would be nice to have some confirmation on the quality before I buy.

19. Hooperfan

It's a fairly recent release, so that's probably why you just discovered it. It's a fantastic show from '73. I especially love his banter in between songs, especially his Monkees story

20. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I have the CD & Pic Disc Lp but that's signed and still sealed.

22. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

That’s a huge stretch. I’m a fan of Nez, and I agree that Parsons gets most of the credit from lazy, uninformed people. That said, Doug Sahm did more to cross rock, country, blues, Texas swing, r&b, tejano music and more. His name is barely known compared to either of the above. Nez did some very cool country influenced albums in the early 70’s, but he wasn’t ahead of Gram and the Byrda of Gram and the International Submarine Band. Also, Gene Clark was arguably ahead of both of them

23. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

It’s a great album. I’d got with the colored vinyl. I accidentally got the picture disc version but it sounds good for a picture disc

24. NudieSuitNezHead

That interview is awesome and makes me hopeful for more Nez FNB stuff! You look like 1968-1972 Nez!

Hooperfan and D-rock like this.
  25. NudieSuitNezHead

Iving, Hep Alien and D-rock like this.