How can i convert a (.DFF) 5.1 to any formqt else 5.1 (((LOSSLESSLY)))

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VLADIMIR LEM, Feb 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VLADIMIR LEM

VLADIMIR LEM Active Member Thread Starter

Hello everybody
    I was wondering How can i convert a (.DFF) 5.1 to another lossless format with the same amount of channels (((LOSSLESSLY))) ?

I tried Foobar (with the SACD components) and Foobar plays the files perfectly . However if I try to convert the files to a lossless format in Foobar i(right click > Convert > quick convert > *lossless format*) but foobar gives the warning "Foobar2000 does not support DSD pass-through; the conversion will NOT be lossless".

I tried to import the .dff file into audacity but it was just 6 tracks of white noise (static noise)

2. ReelStone

ReelStone Forum Resident

Use FFmpeg.

ffmpeg -i input.dff -c:a pcm_s24le -ar 96000 -rf64 auto output.wav

3. ReelStone

ReelStone Forum Resident

You want further suggestions?

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Have you tried "Xrecode"?

XRECODE3

I don't know if it's available as trialware, but it's the only tool I've found that will play with DSD files without resorting to DSD-over-PCM (like JRiver does witho0ut telling you. Whether it supports 5.1 output is something I have no idea abt.

5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I do. It sure does! I use it a lot.

6. robort1998

robort1998 Well-Known Member

You can't, the conversion from dsf/dsd to pcm is always going to be lossy

7. Kal Rubinson

Technically, you are correct.

8. Kal Rubinson

BTW, I dispute your statement that it "will play with DSD files without resorting to DSD-over-PCM (like JRiver does witho0ut telling you." First, XRECODE3 doesn't play anything. It is a conversion/extraction/recoding program. Second, Jriver player DSD just fine without resorting to DoP if you have the proper equiment.

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Not meaning to sound defensive , but by "play with DSD files", I meant manipulation without degradation, not playback. I needed to cut up a DSD rip of a vinyl and XRecode did it. I don't know about playback, but JRiver's secret DoP sauce IS involved in any kind of conversion/slicing/dicing. Maybe that's changed with recent versions. Had to do a lot of forum-digging to find that out at the time.

10. ReelStone

ReelStone Forum Resident

Practically, you're wrong.

11. Kal Rubinson

OK. I missed the "with."
    First, I DoP or DSD-over-PCM is not a conversion but a strategy for transmitting DSD over S/PDIF and, fwiw, does not convert the DSD to PCM but simply packages the data so it will pass to suitable DACs. It is not involved at all in "any kind of conversion/slicing/dicing." I play DSD at all data rates and resolutions directly through JRiver daily without "any kind of conversion/slicing/dicing."
    Second, if there is a reason to do "any kind of conversion/slicing/dicing," that has nothing to do with DoP but with Jriver's DSP operations which are pretty explicit.
    Third, yes, when Jriver converts from one form of DSD to another (such as up-sampling or down-sampling), it does so through a PCM intermediary. That is fairly well-known and not denied by the Jriver folks.
    Fourth, if you choose to do any EQ or processing, it will be necessary to convert DSD to PCM but that is not unique to Jriver. I do not know of any alternative and, certainly, not one outside of a studio.

12. Kal Rubinson

And you, too, are correct.
    The converted stream is not the same data but it is the equivalent. You know it is not the same because converting it back to DSD will not result in an identical bitstream to the original.

robort1998 likes this.
  13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Whenever something doesn't sound right, I just turn it up.

14. Kal Rubinson

If that works for you, fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.