Wandavision / Marvel MCU on Disney+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 22, 2021.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  2. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

I just started watching it and the first few episodes in I thought it was kinda bizaare but now Im on Ep 7 and OMG its not only addicting but its very good to boot

3. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

If you think Wandavision is weird you really need to check out FX's series Legion if you haven't already. It may start off fairly pedestrian but once it gets going it packs quite the punch and (I feel) is much more along the lines of Twin Peaks / Philip K. Dick than Wanadavision. Personally I think it's the best thing Marvel's ever done and it's a shame most people haven't seen it...

Dillydipper, SRC, badfinger54 and 5 others like this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Legion is one of the best shows of the last 20 years.

5. vince

here, here...
    if it had one fault....
    It would be, at the end, when they showed 'Legion' being re-born, they shoulda cut to Lenny being born, too!
    Aubrey Plaza stole that show from everyone!!!
    She was a delight to watch!

marmalade166, fuzzface and Dr. Pepper like this.
  6. Well technically it isn’t part of the MCU-it was done by Fox and most of the creative decisions were tuned over to writer/producer Noah Hawley

BeatleJWOL and Dr. Pepper like this.
  7. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

I might be mistaken but doesn't Disney own Fox now so aren't they kinda the same family?? If you're so hung up on it not being part of the "MCU" think of it as existing on a parallel universe to the one in Wandavision, it's all Marvel in my book. Someone said Wandavision reminded them of Twin Peaks / Philip K Dick and I recommended a similar show with Marvel characters produced by Marvel Television; I'm sorry you have to take issue with that.

Just curious but if you have an issue with Noah Hawley's creative decisions with Legion then what's your thoughts on Ant-Man and Edger Wright??

8. vince

Sadly, Edgar got kicked-off the 'Ant-Man' movie...

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

[​IMG]

I might be wrong, but it sounded to me like Wayne's post was a point of order or informational post, not a judgment call. A bit "wElL aCtUaLlY" on their part considering you didn't say it was, but I mean, it's not a MCU series, just like the X-Men films from recent years weren't and still aren't.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. I’m not taking issue with anything. Just putting some factual info for proper context. I think it’s a fine recommendation.

Yes they are now but they weren’t then. They were also working independently it was produced ‘in association’ with Marvel but Marvel probably had little to no input into “Legion”. Now, of course, it would be a different story entirely as Marvel has asserted control of the Fox properties. I have no issues whatsoever with Hawley’s creative decisions just pointing out most of those were his using the source material. I was disappointed Edgar Wright didn’t direct his versi0n of “Ant-Man” but the film still turned out pretty good.

11. Exactly.

12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I thought todays new episode was really good, post credit scene included.

13. vince

So, THAT'S why they had all of those TV parodies!

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Aubrey Plaza makes me want to become a talk show host...just so I can have her on constantly, so she could confound me and my audience endlessly! She's either a genius...or she's really Lenny, and we're all in the matrix.

Also, the notion of who the lead character's identity was supposed to be, flies in the face of so many decades of continuity in itself, it gives me a great optimism about how Marvel is going to both adhere to their roots...and, pull them out and re-plant their characters at the same time!

Neither Wanda or Viz were the same characters from decade-to-decade, and seeing them like this, just makes me appreciate Marvel's challenge even more, trying to say both rooted for their older fans, yet re-inventing the whole damn universe for younger customers, and trying to stay relevant to both people who were engaged in adolescent pursuits of comic-book reading, and generations of late, who come into the "Universe" with an understanding that half the stuff they're just learning now, actually happened first in almost a different world, decades before they were born.

The Shadow, The Lone Ranger, The Three Musketeers, Sherlock Holmes - these are characters who can't afford to change, because of their detached social, and/or literary legacy. But Marvel's whole continuity, has to keep changing, because it's still "happening". This is no simple task.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Purple Jim and vince like this.
  15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

If like me, you're not familiar with the various comics this show is based on...you really need to watch one of the comic nerd channels. Even if you are a comic nerd it helps as the MCU sort of picks and chooses what plotlines they extract form the original stories. I heard a curious line from someone at Marvel yesterday about how they're using the Disney+ shows. Some are short runs to set up a film and others are series that could be ongoing.

16. Episode should be retitled 'The Exposition Episode'. One more episode left.

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Vision to the grieving Wanda: "What is grief, if not love percevering".
    A magnificent scene.

18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Agreed. Line of the series.

19. I woke up this morning not liking myself very for watching this show. :p

I despise superheroes. I thought this would be a deconstruction of superheroes. It is in a way, isn't it? But not enough, certainly not up to the level of Watchmen, and definitely not as revealing to superhero's true nature like The Boys.

That said, how dare Marvel to get creative! They are certainly trying very hard to be different with this show, and there are some cool pay-offs, so I applaud them for that. After 6 episodes, however, that's where I began disliking myself for watching. It was like sleeping with someone when your drunk, knowing that you don't have a future with them, so the next day you're going through the motions of trying to be nice, thinking off a way to get out of there. So with only 3 more episodes to go, I'll finish the show, but I can't wait for it to be over.

Yeah, the pretty lights and the promise of something great kept me going, but I should have known better when I found myself forcing myself to carry on, as the show had just enough hook in each episode to make me wonder what will happen next. Something tells me that I won't get much from the final 3 episodes either. :cry:

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Oh you will!

kouzie likes this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

"I hate mud. This mud here, though, it really smells like chocolate pudding. Maybe I'll try some. Nope, still mud."

C'mon, man. Now, Marvel has done a lot to dip into different genre pools (Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy are both superhero films, but vastly different approaches to such) over the last 13 years, it's true. But these are still stories about people with extraordinary abilities doing extraordinary things. You know, superheroes.

Which you hate.

For some reason. I mean, that's like being American and hating hamburgers or being French and hating wine, but you do you. :D

JPagan, Stormrider77, davenav and 4 others like this.
  22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Have I missed something or is the person who seemed to be watching events of the early episodes via a TV/monitor still to be revealed?
    Was it Agnes before she appeared?

23. Well, it's that the premise, the lead-up, the trailers all showed a different spin on the genre, and it delivered! - here you have the bumbling super-brain in Vision and the anti-hero, hero in Wanda, so in my mind it seems like a deconstruction. I like my superheroes deconstructed. I love to see them the way that they would really be if they truly inhabited our reality. This is coming from a person, me, who read and collected comics for 35+ years, until one day I snapped to the absurdity of it all.

But anyway, I'm digressing. I just don't think WandaVision is pulling off what could have been better, and it's not because of a lack of concept; it's the execution that's at fault. Most of it is executed very well, but at a glacial pace, even for a show where we're getting about 22-24 minutes of actual programming.

So, I ended up not liking what I thought would be a bit better, as if Marvel soft-handed it a little, instead of going balls out. That's all. I think I'll simply catch the last 3 episodes in one chunk. I mean, yeah, I'm pulled in enough where I have to find out what happens next.

In theory I'd like to see what they do with Moon Knight. That's a "hero" who's totally screwed up in the head. That's the kind of hero I like, who has more to worry about than how good they look before going into battle. ;)

24. It was Darcy, played by Kat Dennings, who was cast assuredly for her good looks, as an astrophysicist who is able to suddenly butt into the whole operation with what credentials...? Maybe because she shops at Forever 21.

PTgraphics likes this.
  25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

So it was Darcy at the end of E1?
    She and the other SWORD agents were watching Wanda's sitcom in the tent later,
    but it was also Darcy earlier?