What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

We're house hunting at the moment, so it will depend on the outcome of that upgrade first. However, I did replace a worn Linn cartridge with a Hana EL and ordered a pair of Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speakers. While waiting for the speakers to escape the Texas snowstorm, I built a NUC-based Roon server and added a Pro-Ject Digital S2 DAC to it. If all goes well with houses and bonuses, I aim to get a PrimaLuna Evo 300 integrated amp. That's a lot of upgrading after a couple of decades with very little. I'd like to hear an Oracle Origine at some point, so perhaps the answer is everything. :)

Rick58 likes this.
  2. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I think 2021 will be the year I try a Step Up Transformer for low output moving coils.

And I also plan to SELL:

CEC BD-2000 turntable
    Akai AP-001C turntable
    Akai Linear Tracker
    Thorens TD145 turntable
    PE idler drive turntable
    Rotel RX-855 receiver
    Technics SA-626 receiver
    Mitsubishi DA-520U amp
    Yamaha RX-500U receiver
    Benz Micro Lukaschek PP1 LOMC preamp (maybe!)
    Cerwin vega D-2/CM-10 speakers
    Pro Linear STage 60 Series II speakers
    Infinity Alpha 20 bookshelf speakers
    Roksan Hotcakes speakers
    ADC AX303 speakers
    Bogen tube 3 channel PA amp (stereo plus sub?)
    Bogen solid state amp
    Philips tube portable reel to reel recorder

:D

Rick58 and Mike-48 like this.
  3. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Parking is horrendous to non-existent in Union Square. And it’s not much better here in Brooklyn lately. Also we are in an apartment building on the fourth floor!

Rick58 likes this.
  4. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

I received my Project Debut Carbon Evo!!...so far so good:) ...I have a integreted pream on my Denon soundsystem...what's nex??? Phono preamp??? :)
    All the best!

Rick58 and Andy Saunders like this.
  5. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Love the meme.... :)

Rick58, JorgeGvb and dcottrell6 like this.
  6. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

I wanted to try new amp in my main system where there is a Parasound A23 driving Maggie .7s.
    Just picked up a Wyred 4 Sound ST500 mkii with WBT and Kimber upgrades.
    Haven't had much of chance to listen yet, but first impressions is a warmer sound than the A23.
    Will get much more time this weekend.

Rick58 and fish like this.
  7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Goes to show you never can tell. As of last year I had absolutely no intentions of upgrading anything. First I ended up buying a whole new Bed/sitting room system. Because I switched to streaming as my source in that system I bought a really good Dac/streamer for my main system.

I then decided I wanted a tube preamp in the main system so I ordered one. I was waiting on class D developments in power amplification as I believe that is the future but I’m going to check out some SS monoblocks someone who’s opinion I respect says sounded exceptional when he heard them.

Goes to show “the best laid plans” can easily go out the window.

Rick58 likes this.
  8. stratmel

stratmel Forum Resident

I would like a new turntable this year. The last one I got was in 1982, so it's time.
    I like the Technics SL-1210 GR.

Rick58, Dale A B and MikeJedi like this.
  9. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Looking to get a Phase Linear 400.

10. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Resident

Luxman 509 or 590 or Pass INT 60

11. TheIncredibleHoke

It’s here! Shipped last night from PA and arrived at like 2pm here via UPS. It’s funny, my retailer made sure that I would be home to sign for it. We are both working from home, so was of course tracking the “Follow My Delivery” like a maniac. It was on my block and then the next time I refreshed it said “Delivered.” WTF!

Ran downstairs and there it was laying on its side right in the middle of the lobby. At least it was too heavy for someone to steal it and get very far. I carried the beast to the elevator and then to our place.

Opened up the box and first thing I noticed was the Rogue Audio italic logo on the left front plate and Magnum III in italics on the other front side. :mad:

It’s not horrible. My wife was like, “Ugh, italic font - what was comic sans already taken.” But we both agreed that the logos were not really a deal breaker. Especially when you consider how difficult it would be to get a 60lb box back to the UPS store here on Flatbush.

I went ahead and unpacked it and hooked it up. Turned it on, waited the 30 minutes, and then biased the tubes. Have been listening since then and it really is a huge improvement already over my Peachtree Nova 65SE. I have it switched to triode right now, which means it’s only putting out 55W, but it already sounds so much more lifelike and powerful than the 65W Peachtree.

Going to just let it ride for a few weeks and then hit up @avanti1960 for his 12AU7 suggestions.

12. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

LOLLLLLLL your wife is awesome. Speaking my language. I imagine some rubbing alcohol or neatly trimmed electrical tape would do the trick if you ever felt the need. As you saw from my set up, I only see it when I'm in the gear closet. Disappointing yours didn't come how you ordered it, but I wouldn't think it's a big enough deal to send it back. Especially considering the logistics, as you said.

I left mine turned on basically all day for the first few days, and it really started to come alive after 2-3 days. Good then, better now. Listening to RAM and Chocolate and Cheese was fun last night. Lots of good layering in both of those albums, and the amp was definitely showing off.

Let me know what you think after a few days, and enjoy it in the mean time!

13. DrGoon

DrGoon Forum Resident

I would get a custom plate made up to cover the font, perhaps Optima? ;)

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  14. TheIncredibleHoke

WEEN!!! Oh god yes, I can’t wait to put that on after a few days. It’s funny though, that’s literally the only band that I can’t listen to when my wife is in the room. she hates them. But Chocolate and Cheese is a big go to album for me when I want to hear a system. I have hundreds of audiophile jazz albums, but man that Ween album has so much in it to make a system shine (or choke).

Am listening to Stanley Turrentine and the Three Sounds Blue Hour Music Matter Jazz reissue right now and it’s blowing my mind. I know it’s not fair to compare a $700 Class D integrated to the Rogue Audio CMIII, but damn...

I do think I’m keeping the Peachtree for the DAC though. @SandAndGlass and I had this conversation and we both agreed that the Peachtree DAC is very good.

ThorensSme and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. TheIncredibleHoke

I’m going to ask Rogue if they can ship another front plate. It looks like it might be easy to replace, but not sure.

If not, I’ll probably just let it ride. It’s not horrible, just not what we would prefer. Probably being too picky and it’s a fine piece of equipment!

16. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Mine’s like that about The Hold Steady. She says they only have one good song (Killer Parties), which is demonstrably false. She’s down with Ween though!

I’ve always been happy with the DAC in my Nova 300. No reason at all not to use yours as a standalone DAC, and you’ve got the pre outs to do it.

Interesting about the faceplate. If it’s that easy to replace, it’s nice to know that I could swap it out for silver, sans Comic Sans, etc. if the mood strikes in the future.

I’ll check out Turrentine tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

17. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind

I’m buying some guys broken Subwoofer Friday to see if I can fix the popping noise it’s making

Rick58 likes this.
  18. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I could really use a set of these! :edthumbs: It's not too much to ask! Look at that midrange driver, have you ever seen anything more beautiful! "I want it ALL, and I want it NOW"

[​IMG]

19. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think I may be done with buying gear for a while, but I am thinking of:

*a factory rebuild for one of my carts
    *an aftermarket rebuild for a cart that has been discontinued

Also, the tray on my CD player has started to stick and act funny and getting it repaired appears to be so expensive it might make sense to just spring for another player.

Rick58 likes this.
  20. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Unfortunately, nothing, unless my financial situation gets better.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Another newbie

[​IMG]

22. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I could really use one of these, and a whopping more than 10 months to make it happen, if I had some steak, I could have steak and eggs, if I only had the eggs :sigh:

[​IMG]

Rick58, DPM and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

24. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Audio Note M6 coming next week -

[​IMG]

I have opted for the black face and gold knobs - I like the older school AN look

[​IMG]

Level Four line pre-amplifier,with Audio Note™ 1 watt tantalum resistors, Audio Note™ silver wiring, 5687 line stage with novel power supply design based on the patented M10, 6X5, OB2, ECL82, Black Gate™ WKz filter caps, Audio Note™ in-house designed and wound output transformers with copper primary and an Audio Note™ silver wired secondary on an Audio Note™ UHiB double C-cores.Phono version has MM phono stage with Audio Note copper foil capacitors and 6072A double triodes.

Currently listening to the silky smooth brilliant M1 Phono for like 1/8th the price. I will have both preamps for a time and I had the M3 for a couple of years. It will be fun to see what each brings to the table. The M1 with the mAmp monoblocks from Wyred4Sound makes a great combination - very unexpected. Still, sometimes things work and the balance of the M1 tube preamp with the huge power of the Class D Wyred4Sound really works well. If I could afford to keep the M1 as well I would. It's just that it's kind of silly to have two preamps from the same company. But it is the "sensible" one. The M6 is Toyota Corolla price - and not the entry level one.

The M1 is good enough to be your forever preamp at under $3k. The volume pot is so solid on the M1 - I have had big amps (LM most recently) where the volume control felt kind of cheap and flimsy - I understand why Peter dislikes ALPS.

Here is the M1 beside the TT3.

[​IMG]

Reviews eventually coming - a nice set of Rogers LS-5/9 will be joining the preamp for a time. Gorgeous speakers.

Granted I probably won't keep the LS-5/9 - although you never know. My editor recently covered their new LS-3/5a and Andy Whittle did design my AX Two speakers for Audio Note and worked at Rogers for years. He IS the LS-3/5a guru. He now works at both companies. For those interested in the new Rogers speakers and in particular the LS-3/5a - I really liked them when at the dealer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRPKCixW5_4

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

For 2021 I was considering getting a streamer/server from which I could play my needle drops. But fate interceded when my main amp--which had been missing in action for most of last year--finally came home to me only to start misbehaving again. (I spoke of this in the "are you satisfied with your system" thread.) With that last straw cast and the camel's back broken I resumed the sleuthing for possible replacements I had begun late last year--just in case.

I came to a decision yesterday and placed an order for a pair of the Bob Carver Crimson 350 mono blocks. My timing couldn't have been better as the dealer had one pair left and was selling them at a discount. (The sales guy tried to up-sell me a much more expensive pair of Ayon Audio class A triode mono blocks, but I passed.) So, hopefully by the end of this week I'll be dipping my toes for the first time into the realm of tube audio gear.

The streamer/server is sill a possibility, but that will have to happen later in the year.