Current UK television shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MrGrumpy, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone keeping busy with current and recent UK television shows?

I've been enjoying a bumper crop of programming, thanks largely to my VPN as well as Netflix and certain websites I should not mention. When I say "enjoying," that may be a bit generous. Some of these shows are plain daft, but I watch anyway - which is daft in itself.

Speaking of which, I just finished the third season of Marcella (I don't care for the UK use of "series" instead of "season). The crime drama made little sense, but it was fun watching undercover cop Anna Friel wander about Northern Ireland in a blonde wig and scanty clothing. It's on Netflix and ITV.

I also like Keeley Hawes, perhaps best known for Spooks (aka MI5). She just wrapped a six-parter, Finding Alice (ITV), playing a widow left high and dry by her dead husband. It was equal parts sad/funny/ridiculous - and ended on a bizarre note with none of the multitude of complications resolved. I guess she (as a co-creator) is hoping for a renewal.

Happily Bloodlands (BBC), a cop drama set in Northern Ireland is off to a great start this week. I've been watching with subtitles, more out of laziness than necessity. I believe a new season of Line of Fire is being filmed there. I can't wait to drop everything when that one returns. Ditto if The Fall, starring Gillian Anderson, should ever get revived.

Slightly gentler, femme-driven cop shows that I recommend include The Bay, a mommy cop drama, in its second season on ITV. And I see Unforgotten (ITV) - with Spooks alum Nicola Walker - is back for a new season, so I will get started on that today.

Returning to subtitles, Scottish cop shows now on Netflix include Shetland. And there's so much Welsh "Cymru noir" out there, including Hinterland and Hidden. Hopefully we'll have fresh episodes of all these sometime soon. I gave up on Keeping Faith because there seemed to be a screaming baby in every scene.

Any contemporary comedy recommendations? I think this genre has a harder time crossing borders even though I grew up on shows like the Two Ronnies and Morecambe & Wise. Dad's Army reruns on the BBC iPlayer are fine with me for now.

P.S. Can't forget the Springwatch nature series, and my daily serving of the quizzers The Chase and Tipping Point, where there no music questions that predate 2018 and don't include "grime."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    sotosound and beccabear67 like this.
  2. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

For a newish comedy, did you watch Ghosts (BBC)? The story is that a young couple inherit a run-down mansion and dream of turning it into a smart hotel, but then discover that the building is haunted by a motley assortment of ghosts who are determined to keep the house for themselves. It's silly in a very British way but also packs quite the emotional punch in some episodes. Two seasons and a Christmas special so far.

BZync likes this.
  3. MrGrumpy

"Grown-up comedy from the Horrible Histories team." Ha! My nephew is infatuated with Horrible Histories, so this will give us a talking point.

BZync likes this.
  4. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

If you like The Chase, I urge you to try Impossible, Tenable and Pointless, there's also a series following some of the Chase team members talking to gifted people, I can't recall the name of the series but was interesting as get to see their personalities (oh and 'series' is the right and proper term, season is something that happens to the weather :) )
    Did you see Keeley Hawes in Ashes to Ashes? Of course you'd need to watch the even better Life On Mars first to understand it.

Although oldish, for something daft and I think it's on Netflix, look up White Gold, about a bunch of guys selling double glazing in its heyday.

And for a slightly more recent treat, try this: The End of the F***ing World - Wikipedia

MrGrumpy likes this.
  5. MrGrumpy

Just finished the first season. You're right it's silly in a British - and very enjoyable - way. I liked the "Friends" related episode. I'd probably cut a few ghosts, tbh, like the caveman. There's a lot of them talking over each other. Looking forward to the second half.

Thanks for the Keeley Hawes tips. Added to the list. As for the quizzers, I watch mainly because the Tipping Point guy seems bored out of his brains, and then overcompensates by invading the winner's personal space most awkwardly. I vaguely recall the lead-in, Catchphrase? No idea what was going on there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.