I’m a convert after years of digital cable improvement denial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HelpfulDad, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yeah, I just don't have the space- if I did I'd 100% have my dreamcast and all the other pre-hdtv consoles hooked up to it :)

Uglyversal likes this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It does take special tools. That camera in front of the tv isn't cheap. I tried calibrating myself, I went online studied others' calibrations, nothing came close to the real deal. The funny thing is, that my new tv plus calibration cost less and looks much much better, than my old crt from 1998.

toddrhodes likes this.
  3. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Yeah pro-level colorimeters are not cheap

Tullman likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm fine with that too. Just don't tell me I'm gullible for wanting a properly calibrated tv. I posted pictures to show how some people spout off without knowing what they are talking about. I'm not surprised you reacted the way you did, the same goes for the OP's cable.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Oelewapper and toddrhodes like this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The cameras shooting film and events are calibrated to an industry standard, a proper tv calibration follows those standards.

6. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I agree with all of this. There is a lot of what would be categorized as thread crapping in the music forum that is tolerated in the audio hardware forum, and this rule doesn’t seem to be enforced https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/a-note-about-abx-dbt-blind-testing-and-the-sh-forums.278682/

I have noticed the same decline in civility and also spend less time and try not to post here anymore. It’s really a shame.

Rob6899, Encore and Tullman like this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Totally forget about discussing any cable you may like or have interest in.

jfeldt likes this.
  8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I am not all that crazy about having the latest but at this stage and in that field you might be hard pressed to find worse.

What about Ethernet switches, I've just paid for one and I can't wait to test it.

MGW likes this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Be brave and start a thread on Ethernet switches...

10. Uglyversal

Gosh, no, that post here is going to be enough for me not to ever hear the end of it, just wait.:hide:
    Also, if I start a thread about it would be akin to "An American werewolf in Paris", a blood fest!

Tullman likes this.
  11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I started a thread about audiophile wall sockets once, because I had no idea what it was... big mistake... :oops:

Not too long after I started it, I wasn’t online here for just one day...
    Fortunately, the thread got deleted by an admin in the meantime, before things got out of control, or maybe it did... I’ll never know for sure... :whistle:

Tullman and toddrhodes like this.
  12. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I got your back on audiophile wall sockets. :)

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. Uglyversal

The only one I started about cables -I've just asked questions, I wasn't making any claims- apparently got so good that was deleted within hours. I've never found out how good it was because it happened while I was sleeping.:realmad:

Tullman and Oelewapper like this.
  14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

@Uglyversal You already know the arguments why people don't think it's possible for an ethernet switch to affect sound quality- come up with a counter argument that's convincing and you'll convince people.

15. Uglyversal

That is the exactly the problem, you and some others here fail to notice. I have no interest at all in convincing you of anything.

If I bring up anything here is generally to compare notes with other people interested in the same stuff. Like whether the mono version of Sgt Peppers have a song that is 30 seconds longer than the stereo version.

Instead I have to deal with people who hate the Beatles and want to know why they should be listening to them. That behavior makes any discussion on any subject a complete waste of time.

Daverich4 and MGW like this.
  16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Off-topic I know but I'm playing around more with power supplies now. They don't have to be crazy exotic, but I'm of the mind that any amount of noise reduction can't be a bad thing, and what equipment is going to complain about power with lower ESR, lower ripple, more stable current, etc...

And speaking of which, I want to try one on the one switch that sits between my two audio PCs and my audio room. And I want to pull those PCs both off the branch of power that my audio room uses. Again, just noise isolation (and, frankly - something to do).

17. HelpfulDad

HelpfulDad Forum Resident Thread Starter

There could be a lot of reasons why, but one thing is clear, and this is why I'm a convert, you hear a difference. I have to say that it's one of the more shocking things I've realized is that digital cables make a difference. They aren't precisely the same.

Maybe it's revealing weaknesses in other parts of your system? maybe there are higher frequencies with the better cable that weren't there before and your amplifier and/or speaker/headphone are now distorting? Obviously, I don't know since I haven't heard it, but those could be legitimate reasons. Or, similarly with low frequency. Maybe really low frequencies are getting through now and taxing the amplifier or speaker system? How does it sound headphones vs speakers? One amp compared to another. Last time I bought a new cartridge, it revealed how dirty my records were. While it could reproduce delicate portions of sound, it revealed that there was gunk in the groove.

18. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

You mentioned you had a background in science.

How would you move from your speculations to a testable hypothesis. What variables would you control for?

I guess in other words: how would you move from speculations to the type of evidence you'd use to convince other scientists? :)

missan likes this.
  19. HelpfulDad

You know, there was a time when "science" said that you'd fall off the edge of the earth if you sailed too far. It also said that every heavenly orb revolved around the earth. There was a time when people made the same argument you're making and that CDs are "perfect sound forever." I was taught in high school, but "experts" that while opiates were addicting, cocaine wasn't and was relatively harmless.

There is nothing more misleading and, at times dangerous, than someone taking a portion of science and attempting to disprove observation.

Instead of being a scientist, you're grasping at straws trying to discredit an observation that surprised me. I went into the change of cables expecting nothing and was shocked at the improvement. So, at the core of your argument is that I'm a *****, incapable of making an objective observation and you keep citing "science" as to why my observations are wrong.

Rather, I'm taking the actual scientific approach. I've observed an unexpected phenomenon an I'm now trying to use the tools I have to explain this unexpected difference. These tools are my considerable knowledge of mathematics, literacy, but not expert knowledge of electrical engineering, and collaboration, asking others why this difference could arise.

Still looking for an explanation for why text is readable on the screen using an Audioquest "Chocolate" cable and not when using their "Cinnamon" cable. Maybe it's excellent noise shielding? I can buy that. And, if it makes that much difference and costs that much money for the difference, then it's worth it.out

It seems you are easily led into seeing things that aren't there and aren't really able to hear subtle differences in sound from one cable or one codec to another. This is why you, somewhat defensively, keep throwing scientific facts out that demonstrate your knowledge and you seem to use to justify why you can't see or hear the differences. As I've posted many times, good for you. It's a lot less expensive if you don't hear the difference. But I will always argue with people like you who tell other that they aren't seeing what they're seeing just because you're not able to.

In the case of this thread, if you don't have any explanation or anything to add as to why the picture and sound is actually better, and the only reason you're posting is to tell those of us who are looking for an explanation that we aren't really seeing it, then you're just being a troll and shouldn't post in this thread.

20. HelpfulDad

True! and, some brains can't hear or see it. What's funny about why I started this thread is that I bought the better cable that I got cheaply and put it into my system fully expecting no difference. If it's my predisposition that drives my observations, then I wouldn't have seen a difference. But it was such a big difference, I take back anything I ever said about digital cables making a difference.

MGW likes this.
  21. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

And I never suggested that you were trying to convince me in particular of anything, only a way to have what could have been an interesting thread. Anyway nbd, and I don't blame you if you think it would be a waste of time! :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Uglyversal likes this.
  22. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Yes, but people only see the placebo effect to justify what they want (even the effect it's also working against it) ... and then we need to talk about science ... an oxymoron :)

23. Uglyversal

It would be fine if it was the very first time that it is discussed or if someone who never read about it ask some questions but as you probably know. These threads are the never ending story, with the same old suspects running around in circles and getting nowhere.

[​IMG]

Tullman and jfeldt like this.
  24. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

What?? ... Oh no, that's unforgivable :laugh:

You can dislike Beatles (taste is taste) but if you don't understand what they do for popular music in every aspect (composition, interpretation, recording techniques, voices, innovation, ...) ... it's hard to say you really know about music.

My opinion.

Uglyversal likes this.
  25. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yeah, I keep hoping there'll be something new!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.