I Love Lucy Complete Series on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Paul Guerrero, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Guerrero

Paul Guerrero Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Great story!

2. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

This is also veering off-topic, but I Love Lucy was still running on WNYW (channel 5) out of New York City in the 80s, maybe even the 90s (my memory is a little fuzzy here), when I was growing up. Weekday mornings at 9:00 am. By this time, most shows from the 1950s had already been relegated to the Nick at Nite cable network, but Lucy was still popular enough to stay on a local network (The Honeymooners also had that privilege, on WPIX). I'd watch the show on my summer breaks from school.

Jrr likes this.
  3. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I found the deluxe box set at a Value Village here in Toronto for $29.99, still sealed. It is a beautiful box.

Jrr and bmasters9 like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

probably! : ) the future is here! like it or not.

Jrr likes this.
  5. Michael

I agree...it can be fascinating!

6. Michael

yes, the price do fluctuate! I missed the $13...

7. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Picked up Season 1 at Big Lots for $5. Bargain!

DorothyV and Jrr like this.
  8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

She was actually a very MEAN old lady that was very rude to most people that worked in the stores and restaurants that she went to. My family did not like her as human being but we continued to enjoy her body of work.

Very, very rude.

audiomixer likes this.
  9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I have heard this as well from others over the years. Some celebrities simply do not react well with the public. My next door neighbor used to work the counter of a liquor store in LA. His worst customer may surprise some people, Dick Van Patten. He actually says he had to eventually throw him out. Apparently a terrible drunk. So far from his image at that time.....

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Lucy had good days and bad. I saw her being tough as hell, but I also saw some moments where she was very sensitive. I think she was hardened by 60 years in showbiz, and that'll do it to you. I got to talk to Bob Carroll & Marilyn Davis (the latter was associate producer Michael Martin's mother), and they generally got along with Lucy but also fought with her on quite a few issues. Don't forget that Vivian Vance eventually left Lucy's shows over disputes over money -- and they were actually pretty good friends.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It’s a shame that these are the things people remember. My parents didn’t like Lucy because a friend of the family lived nearby and Lucy was supposedly rude to that person, and this is when she was younger. Sometimes we need to do a better job of separating the work from the person. And I’m sure most of us realize and respect this, but I can’t imagine doing that work and then having to deal with thousands of people running up to you when in public. I know they realize they are signing up for this, and I think most handle it just fine, but it still has to be hard. And I know from working with creative people that the better they are, in general, the quirkier their personality. And often, their people skills leave a lot to be desired. And if they are really, really good and have yes people all around them, well, tell me that isn’t going to effect you over time! But, like my wife says, it’s never okay to be rude to people. I’m just sorry this is part of her legacy but clearly there is truth to it.

Shoes1916 and OldSoul like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, everybody is entitled to a bad day. Lucy went through some very difficult times in 1986 on that last series, Life with Lucy: Desi kept calling her up at all hours begging her forgiveness for cheating on her years before, while he was dying of throat cancer. She was kind enough not to just throw him off the phone, because he was terribly ill, but this meant she didn't get a lot of sleep while working on the show. And she was generally very nice to the cast members and crew.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Shoes1916, Silver Surfer and OldSoul like this.
  13. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Definitely was sensitive. She admitted being in tears when people were criticizing her returning to TV in '86. She talks about it here

Shoes1916 and Vidiot like this.
  14. Michael

I do love Lucy! very sad.

Jrr and Hooperfan like this.
  15. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I can’t imagine going out in public and having to deal with people constantly coming up to you. I’m an introvert and that would exhaust me. Fortunately, I’m in no danger of that happening...

Shoes1916 and MarkTheShark like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, Lucy had a hard time getting through the final episode that was shot (which never aired) because Aaron Spelling had called her personally to tell her that ABC had pulled the plug. She took the news very hard.

That was one of those weird shows where the producers and the star all actually believed they were going to immediately be the #1-rated show in the country, and we looked at all the footage in post and said, "good god, this is bad." It was a sad end to a huge career.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  17. Hooperfan

Lucy apparently didn't even watch Life With Lucy when it aired. Her husband and others gathered around to view it but she wasn't interested. She knew the show wasn't very good. But still she had a lot of pride and was genuinely upset by the poor notices. Even if she actually subconsciously agreed with them, about the show being quite poor

Shoes1916 likes this.
  18. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I don’t recall whether or not I ever saw Life with Lucy, but this episode synopsis from Wikipedia makes me glad I don’t remember: “The hardware shop is robbed when Lucy foolishly leaves the key in plain sight. She then decides the shop should be guarded by a goose. But the goose never gets a chance to scare the thieves because it is too busy scaring the owners.” As Desi would say, ai-yi-yi!

Shoes1916 and OldSoul like this.
  19. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

In 1977 I was working for the now defunct Hecht Company in VA and one day I happened to be near the television aisle. Lucy was being interviewed on a talk show. I had only recently discovered Burns & Allen and thought Gracie was hilarious. In one of those odd life moments I happened to catch the interviewer make a comment about Gracie to Lucy and she made a pretty ugly face. That has always stuck with me. Still, I cherish my memories of I Love Lucy, The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour and The Lucy Show. Makes me smile to see that there are still people getting into her shows. Good stuff, those.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  20. Hooperfan

Yeah, that one was so bad it never aired. Along with 4 other episodes

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, she watched it during post, as did Gary Morton (whom we called "Mr. Ball" behind his back). She actually believed the show would do well in the ratings and that the public would be loyal to her. Neither happened. I think she was too busy to watch it on the air, and I suspect -- as with many TV actors -- she was too busy and tired to watch it on the actual air date. I recall she put some pressure on ABC to promote the hell out of it, which they did... for awhile.

I thought for sure the "Guard Goose" episode aired. The best episode of Life with Lucy they ever did was the one with Audrey Meadows guest-starring as her cantankerous sister. I argued with the producer that that should've been the format for the show, but he said Meadows was not interested in a long-term return to acting. Audrey was still a total pro and did very well in that episode.

There were points where everybody involved was so low, we started to call the show "Death with Lucy," which was sad.

Shoes1916, OldSoul and Hooperfan like this.
  22. Hooperfan

Ahh, didn't realize about her watching the shows in post. I was going by Lee Tannen's account of the night the first episode aired, in his book called I Loved Lucy. And Jim Brochu also stated how disappointed she was in that ill-fated series in his book Lucy In The Afternoon.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  23. Michael

OPINIONS; will we see a complete ILL Blu-ray box set?

bartels76 likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Lucy had approval of rough cuts and all that stuff, but actually, I think husband/producer Gary Morton was more involved. He drove us crazy in post because he'd sit through the final edit and yell, "where's the laughs? It's not funny! We have to recut!" And they'd remind him the show hadn't been mixed yet and this was a later take on which the audience didn't laugh much, because they'd heard the joke a couple of times before.

Gary would get angry and say, "no! Lucy doesn't want any fake laugh track!" And the editors would patiently explain, "no, we'll use the real laughs from take 1." He'd nod his head like he understood, and then the next scene would come up, and the exact same thing would happen all over again.

Shoes1916, OldSoul and Hooperfan like this.
  25. Hooperfan

Gary seemed like a tool. Definitely didn't have the comic instinct that Desi had

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.