Rolling Stones in Mono reissue - 1/20/23*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nicode70, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist Thread Starter

Once again i've missed the Boat. Now i really want the Rolling stones in mono box set from 2016.

Do you think that this will be re printed at some point?

Maurice, Sean and Saint Johnny like this.
  2. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

No

3. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

It'd be nice to have a work order to make a few thousand more units, but I'm guessing no. I hope I'm wrong because it is a good set.

There's a few tape warbles on some of the Banquet and Bleed material, but outside of that, it's well done.

Sean and Saint Johnny like this.
  4. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Saint Johnny likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

6. Nicode70

Yes sorry. Vinyl.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Sleeping on releases like limited vinyl box sets will only result in sorrow. Especially things like mono issues, as they are for a smaller buyers group and usually when they are gone, they are gone. I saw the Stones Mono vinyl box at below 150 at one time. The only thing that gives me pause as far as the Stones Mono box is it was digital in nature. Technically that leaves money on the table for an all analog set to be released. So, where I see no chance of The Beatles Mono box to be redone, at least not until a few decades have passed, the Stones Mono box I give a three percent chance it will be redone in all analog for another money cash in, even if a very worthy one. Moral of the story, as far as ANY vinyl release, if you want it, buy it as soon as possible. Every vinyl release is a limited run at this point.

8. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I doubt it.
    However, while the sound was great, the artwork was AWFUL.
    It looked like cheap photocopies.
    Indeed, it was laziness. Several of other editions of the included albums, have had fine reproduction.

9. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

For being such an awesome and successful band, art work for Stones albums has often sucked bigly

ktg807, obcbobd and fortherecord like this.
  10. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I doubt any of these mono boxes will get repressed any time soon. Maybe eventually reissued in mono again in a decade or 2. Grab them when you can. There are a couple right now where, you can still get them fairly cheaply but that won’t be for long...
    Dylan, Buffalo Springfield are the 2 that come to mind.

caravan70 and ODShowtime like this.
  11. Nicode70

Thank you all for yur feedback. for me the selling point is not the Mono version, but a cohérant reissue of the early catalogue.
    I've fund one on discogs for 600€. that's the cheapest i've seen in a long time. Still a big pile of money....

Saint Johnny likes this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I regret not having the cash to get this. I already had the 64-69 box from 2010, so between that and the two fold-down LP's (why???) it just seemed like a lot of money for really only a couple of LP's I needed in mono. (namely Aftermath and Buttons) 2017-19 was pretty bad for me money-wise, so it just wasn't in the cards...if it was available now I'd definitely jump at it and probably sell the other box.

I was hoping they'd do some individual releases like the Beatles did, but no dice yet. (Although given how Klein's remnants love to milk that catalog, I haven't totally given up hope)

13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Will it eventually get released? Without a doubt. The source is DSD like the rest of the band's catalog, we aren't talking about the same thing as the Beatles which was analog sourced. But it won't be for a long time. I wouldn't think it's going to happen with out 10 years between releases. So 2026 seems like a possible next shot if vinyl can maintain it's stamina. I bought one of the boxes about a month before it went OOP with a 15% off coupon. So, I got lucky to get one and at a good price. But, there isn't any reason to release them. Right now there are the stereo boxes available and the 50th Anniversary issues. 2026 seem about right with Black and Blue's 50th likely not going to be something all that desirable compared to albums released earlier in the '70s.

Shawn likes this.
  14. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

That's why I got the ProStudioMasters download. I already had the artwork on other issues.

Acoustic Warrior and Library Eye like this.
  15. They can’t make $ if they don’t release the music.

walrus likes this.
  16. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

I've been going through mine and the records sound really good. Black , silent vinyl. Excellent. I also, fortunately, have every one of the Beatles vinyl reissues, including their mono box set.
    So I was curious and just read thru a lot of the accompanying book. Man, everything about the Beatles set was far superior. The book detailed a pretty complex history of the recordings , the tapes, and ultimately the all analog process of cutting the new set with old equipment and detailed comparisons of original notes and sound. The RS sets book was pitiful, written by that hack David Frick , where, how did he gain any credibility? it might as well have been written by a 10 year old. Regardless, not a word about the process ! The only bit of explanation I saw was in the credits on the final page was something about DSD, which must mean digital path. It did say digital transfers on the box contents cover too. The lp covers and the book are ....... poor. The records themselves do sound excellent though. I'll have to try comparing with some of the Beatles and see if I can discern sq.
    One factor is The Beatles recorded in a couple of London studios, the RS were recording in London chicago, LA......

fortherecord likes this.
  17. donohed

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The source is mostly inconsequential. It’s not as though the Beatles’ or Stones’ mono catalogs would need to be re-cut to be re-issued.

The rate-limiting factor is pretty much everything else.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  19. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I don't get it, one's nicely turned out and the kind a girl's mother would smile at; the other's all dishevelled and rough round the edges.

~Ah, Beatles vs Stones!

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The list of acts who have lost money putting out music is lengthy.

The revenue model for the music industry has done a 360. It used to be you’d lose money on tours to promote albums. Now it’s sort of the other way around.

My guess is there isn’t enough remaining demand to make it worth the Stones’ effort to reissue the mono box on vinyl.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't buy this on vinyl as I have a decent set of original UK LPs, though some are stereo. I did get the CD and thought that packaging and print quality was mediocre and the booklet useless. The sound quality is fantastic though. I actually play it more than The Beatles mono vinyl box, which is near perfect in every way, as well as the original Stones LPs now. I think the main reason is I keep it on a shelf next to the CD player.

I certainly wouldn't want to pay £350+ for a bigger version of the CD box. The UK Aftermath and Rolling Stones No. 2 in particular look dreadful.

22. donohed

Yeah I bought the cheapest one going, and this RS box was chewed up. The record s were pristine though, which is what I really care about.

Echoes Myron and Geordiepete like this.
  23. Jules HKG

Jules HKG Forum Resident

Just bought a used CD Box of RSIM from Discogs. (Would have liked the vinyl but a bit pricey for me).

I agree with the thread comments re the sleeve print quality; however the mastering in my opinion is awesome, delighted !

Bob Dylan vinyl mono box on its way from the US at the moment. (This one is Really good value for money at the moment)

Man at C&A and Geordiepete like this.
  24. Nicode70

I found one!!!
    On the classified add. I've payed half of the discogs prices. i'm stocked.

25. I would buy them individually. That's what I did until I had them all.

zed and Rochdale3 like this.