Yes Union Live 30 disc megaset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonylevin'ssuitcase, Feb 26, 2021.

1. tonylevin'ssuitcase

tonylevin'ssuitcase Forum Resident Thread Starter

ARK, head_unit, Jerquee and 11 others like this.
  2. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Oh my God! The tour Rick Wakeman called Onion, because everyone was bored to death.

The nadir of Yes...until Heaven & Earth. No thanks.

3. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I thought he called it Onion because it made them cry

Oatsy, Marty T, ARK and 16 others like this.
  4. Rick's quote found on the above link:
    "It has been well documented that I loathed the Union studio album as the whole project was taken out of our hands and destroyed by those handed the responsibility for finishing it off. However, the Union Tour was another matter. Probably the most amazing and enjoyable tour I have ever been on with Yes and I am so glad it was recorded and filmed as it was an incredibly special time that can never be repeated. The Union Your is for me, the most important event in Yes history.."

I was at the Worcester show they are including in this set -a fun concert experience for me and my friends.

RAZORMADE, ARK, seed_drill and 31 others like this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

He called the album Union, ‘Onion’ because it was overdubbed by session musicians and didn’t represent shat he felt the band recorded.

He has said he enjoyed the tour.

6. tonylevin'ssuitcase

Agreed! My favorite players (Howe and Bruford) didn't really wanna be there and it sounded like it. Strangely, Rick appears to be directly involved in this: it's from Musicglue which has released a lot of his box set in recent years and he send out a long email about it this morning. I guess those tears have tried up now!

Dog Ear likes this.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Ouch! I would have been tempted if this had been along the same size, scale and price of the Progeny set, especially if the Worcester show that I attended was still included, but this seems like overkill on all counts. I'll have to pass (but ring me if the Worcester show gets released as a stand-alone.)

jammincrowe and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  8. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I think that 30 Discs of one tour is probably more than I need.

Oatsy, Karate Chop, Ere and 12 others like this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I think 1 disc of any Yes tour is more than I need.

10. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Slow day for you is it?

Woodsman, peter fuller, ARK and 22 others like this.
  11. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

A bargain at twice the price

12. audiomixer

Nope. Just getting started!

13. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I got an e-mail this morning with the subject 'Yes Limited Edition 30 Disc Box Set' and opened it with excitement...

...to see the Union tour. Really? Nothing against those shows, but does anyone need 30 discs of them?

Quite frankly, I'm not sure I need 30 discs of any Yes Tour. They're not a band like King Crimson, where improvisation is a big component.

14. tonylevin'ssuitcase

Unlike the King Crimson megaboxes and even the Yes 72 boxset, to a lesser degree, I am pretty sure the Union tour varied as little as possible in setlist and performance. It always seems like just a big payday for everyone.

I would guess there will be a smaller edition as some point, either a Highlights set like the 72 box or individual shows, like Rick did on his recent bootleg box. One of those should be plenty for me. I have to admit I very rarely even listen to the previous CD from this tour.

15. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Ouch! When you add shipping, the price increases from $299.00 to $391.82.

audiotom likes this.
  16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yeah, I mean, the Progeny set was really cool, but that was a band at a peak. I'm a big Yes fan, but I struggle to call the Union tour an equal peak worthy of such documentation. If there was a single show excised to purchase, I'd happily grab that, but man... this is not for me.

smoke, rontoon and Zach Johnson like this.
  17. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

So much 70s radio concerts waiting for release, and we get this......

18. audiomixer

Apparently, I', not the only one...:whistle:

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Progeny was also carefully mixed in the studio. this is just a bootleg box for the most part. Someone on Progressoive Ears already noted that one of the shows was something he had seeded on Dime, with the DVD cropped to remove the watermark. He said he would have just given them the master if they'd contacted him.

ARK, Tim Bucknall, Ere and 12 others like this.
  20. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

First Yes show I ever saw. At the age of 19 it was pretty special.

I'll be passing on this though. 30 discs!? Shut the fridge!

audiomixer and Instant Dharma like this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah 30 is too much. 30 years 30 discs yeah I get it. I never picked up the previous set, now it's too pricey, I may have been interested in HQ recordings of a couple of shows, they disnt change art lists often but I would have liked a few of the Union songs represented and they left off Starship Trooper and And You and I off the main shows.

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah if was a dream come true. iirc I got tix for my 18th birthday for rhe Oakland show. Nosebleeds. Oh well it was great. :). Only time I saw Yes sadly.

23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

After the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe tour this was my second Yes concert. Still have the tour book and a live cd/DVD set. That's enough for me.

ARK, Tim Bucknall, Mang and 3 others like this.
  24. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

25. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

They could simply reissue the Union Live 2 CD/2 DVD set with a Blu Ray disc added in. But maybe that makes too much sense...

Yes – Union Live (2011, CD)

GrayMouser, Tim Bucknall, ARK and 8 others like this.