Which movie did you turn off within 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

"Event Horizon." Was watching it by myself and shut it off. I later put it on with my brother and we watched the whole thing.

I made the right call the first time.

Karnak likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The "Evil Dead" sequel??? Why did you hate it so much?

3. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Recently (was actually about 40 minutes) was Shudder Island. To me it was way too cliched and predictable and ultimately tried too hard and I became disinterested.

4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I can't stand Bruce Campbell, and AoD's first few minutes has multiples of him.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Did you hate the 1st 2 "Evil Dead" movies as well? Had you already seen them when you went into "AoD"?

I actually viewed the trilogy backwards: I saw "AoD" and then "ED2" and then "ED".

I loved "AoD"!

6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I thought the first one was pretty good. I liked the "a bunch of friends make their own horror movie" feel of it.

The second one seemed unnecessary. It was also slicker and mostly lacking in the qualities that appealed to me in the first. Worst was that Bruce Campbell started emoting like someone had told him he was the funniest and most talented guy around, and he believed it.

When I started in on the third film, it looked like the things I disliked about Campbell were going to be there again in spades, so I made an early escape.

I should add that back then I was the movie critic for a major newspaper in Manila and I was getting free movie passes, so I didn't think anything of walking out on movies that seemed to be a waste of time. I have a lot more patience now; however, re-viewing AoD is very low on my to-do list. :D

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I've tried watching Snatch, on 2 different occasions.

8. Oatsdad

Because I belong to AMC's "A-List" program, movies are "free" in the sense that I prepaid for up to 3 movies a week, so it costs me $0.00 to attend any specific film.

As such, it opens me up to movies I otherwise would skip because there's no monetary "risk" involved.

For instance, I'm seeing the already-maligned "Tom and Jerry" today, and since it's under A-List, I already paid for it in a sense so there's no "oh man, I dropped $12 for this thing!" feeling.

I still am reluctant to bail early! Too many movies I've disliked at the start and warmed up to eventually! :shrug:

9. Oatsdad

Because I usually have to request copies of the DVDs/Blu-rays I review from the studios, I shouldn't bail because I've obligated myself to watch the whole thing and write about it.

However, IIRC I did give up on "Tree of Life" fairly quickly when it first hit Blu-ray.

I think I made it more like 30 minutes vs. 15 minutes, but eventually I just thought that I couldn't stand to deal with it any longer.

I eventually did watch - and review - the whole thing years later, though!

10. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

Why didn't you like it?

11. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

Kill List. My wife was out and I was in the mood for one of those dark, stressful films that she doesn't like but I just couldn't get into it.

I did like Uncut Gems a lot, but then I also loved Crazy Rich Asians.

12. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Forum Resident

"Natural Born Killers" was one of the few movies that I just couldn't continue to watch. I like the actors and director but I just didn't like anything about it. Its been years since I tried to watch it so its hard to put into words what I found so offensive - I just know that (for me) it was beyond what I was willing to endure.

13. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Just to be sure, are you talking about the first Star Wars movie released in 1977 or Star Wars: Episode I released in 1999? If it’s the latter then totally sympathise.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  14. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

The first, from 1977; I tried watching it c. 1983, when it was on broadcast TV for the first time. Maybe it's because I was already long past being "a kid" then, I would have been about 30 years old. 'I'm sure glad I didn't go to a theatre and pay money to see that...' Once was enough; never tried seeing another.
    C. 1999, I did get dragged to an interminably long Star Trek movie by my then gf; I was never a fan of that (Star Trek) either, but I did see the whole movie, she was into it.

15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

whatever that god awful remake of "la femme nikita" was called ..... point of no return? or something like that .... i had an immediate allergic reaction to it lol ..... and im actually pretty tolerant most of the time in regards to being able to sit thru something

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Whiplash. J.K. Simmons is a violent psychopath instructor at a conservatory full of frightened spineless students who are adults but act like abused children. Any student with half a brain would have said, "I'm outta here" but for some reason they stick around to take more abuse. Simmons is totally over the top and no school would have kept this lawsuit time bomb.

Buddy Rich was well known for being verbally abusive to his students like this but it's also well known that his students didn't care what he said and even made fun of the old man behind his back. Now that would have been a better movie.

conjotter and hi_watt like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hook with Robin Williams...horrible...literally that is the only one ever IIRC...I may have done others but they escape me...

18. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

HBO Max has 2 versions, original from 1976 clocks 2:14 and the 1978 director's cut is 1:49.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

If you’ve been following the endless sports sexual and hazing scandals you’d know that Whiplash is a very realistic movie. And from what myself and many people I know experienced first hand with psychopath coaches and teachers it’s a very realistic movie. It’s not as simple as "I'm outta here” lol.

hi_watt and aroney like this.
  20. woody

woody Forum Resident

That’s good to know. Maybe I’ll try the director’s cut.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  21. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

People report these things now. This wasn't a movie about long ago.

Famous jazz musicians who went to conservatories watched the film and thought it was ridiculous. Yeah, they got yelled at but no teacher was insane enough to criminally assault a student.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Dudley Morris likes this.
  22. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I've only liked Robin Williams in 2 films - Patch Adams & Good Will Hunting. I much prefer his live comedy sketches.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  23. Michael

....loved Patch Adams!

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  24. Michael

damn I love that movie...especial Brad Pitt and of course Jason...we even get Morgan from the Walking Deads...the movie is a blast.

25. Oatsdad

"GWH" is a very good movie, but "Patch Adams" is an atrocity.

Of Williams' other movies, I liked "Club Paradise" back in the 80s - not sure how it plays now, but it included a good cast and was a funny flick.

"Dead Poets" works for me, too.

Some others are entertaining as well, but when Williams went into "sanctimonious mode" - ala his "Patch" character - I couldn't take him!

Fastnbulbous likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.