Click Repair *Real Time* and Crackles

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThinWhiteDuke, Aug 11, 2019.

1. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been running Click Repair RT (CR RT) for some time now and absolutely love it (mac version with a Behringer UCA 202).

However I noticed the other day, after installing a new TT, that the number of crackles, whilst listening to my favourite CSNY record, is irritatingly high.

After some investigation I narrowed it down to the version of CR RT that I've been using.

I downloaded two versions both 1.3.2 and 1.4.3. and purely co-incidentally started using the later version by accident (having forgotten which version I've been using due to a gap in my listening regime).

Whilst I wouldn't normally assume the software version would matter (other than the later version being better, removing bugs and performing better) I'm quite certain of the root cause of the issue (I spent some time playing with humidity meters and cleaning records and grounding cables and swapping head shells etc. looking to isolate the crackles having assumed static was the issue - my new cartridge reveals more high frequencies hence I now notice stuff I was missing earlier including unfortunately hiss and crackles noise).

It appears that the something in version 1.4.3. is corrupting the audio when removing heavy concentrations of clicks, which the earlier version does not. No amount of playing with the settings in the later version fixed the problem.

Ideally I'd like to use the latest version under the assumption I'll get the best experience but so far that's not the case.

(I notice that the later version has two different modes of click repair 'simple' and 'wave' but neither mode makes any difference. I also suspect that the earlier version isn't removing some of the clicks hence I don't notice the damaged audio because it's not being activated).

Any one else notice this behaviour and if so could advise what the cause is and if I'm likely doing anything wrong?

Leonthepro likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Has this program got any kind of threshold adjustment ? If so, try lowering it till the crackles are gone, even at the expense of letting some clicks and pops through. If you think the program makes the noises disappear at no cost for the audio, think of this : ¨there's no free lunch¨:targettiphat:

Uglyversal and The FRiNgE like this.
  3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

I can check my version number when back from work but I think it is the latest version. Have options with simple and wave. I don’t have any problems running it. There is also a separate thread about the RT clickrepair where som issues are discussed. Java version? Perhaps there is something in that thread.

Leonthepro and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The version I have is 1.4.3 and it works fine.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Same here.

6. ThinWhiteDuke

@Strat-Mangler @Thomas_A - makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong then as it's very noticeable and easy to reproduce on or off.

I have a suspicion the db level is too high but adjusting it in RT CR doesn't seem to do much.

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

As the pinhead mentioned, there isn't such thing as a free lunch, you are deleting pops and crackle together with a good part of the music, the more crackles you delete, the more music you loose.

If the noise is so bad in your set up you should seriously consider using CD's which on the second hand market are a lot cheaper than records. They will sound much better than any record/music you put through such assassination process. Also, if you are getting so much noise, the quality of the sound couldn't be all that good to start with. Unless you completely review how you listen to music you will remain in a lose or lose situation.

8. electrode10101

electrode10101 Forum Resident

I've had issues on occasion with CR creating noise bursts with some files. It seems to occur with 32.bit float files from Cool Edit. Most times, rerunning CR clears the issue.

9. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Mistracking \/ dirty records \/ dirty stylus boost the number of clicks and pops.

10. ThinWhiteDuke

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't explain why my issue goes away with a simple change of software version.

11. ThinWhiteDuke

I'm not running Cool Edit but I haven't tried simply restarting CR RT. I'll try tonight :)

12. ThinWhiteDuke

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't explain why my issue goes away with a simple change of software version.

13. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

As you should have deducted, I have not used that software so I don't have the precise answer. Different software versions are exactly that, different, when you have a working program, you should think twice before updating as on some occasions, upgrades feel more like a downgrade and most of the time -hopefully- they are an upgrade.

14. ThinWhiteDuke

Update: I tried again after having restarted the laptop and now I have no issues at all. Very odd as the r humidity of the room is down to around 44 at 22c so well into the territory of static issues etc.

I'm now unsure how to reproduce my problem and don't know what it really is, will try again and see if I can narrow it down further.

15. jongw

jongw New Member

Hi I hope this reply gets read. :)
    I've been struggling setting up ClickRepair RT 1.4.3 at 24bit/96khz resolution.
    it seems on Windows, it seems not possible, due to Java sound processing limitation on windows. it seems working 16/96khz, but the sound seems not very good.
    then, I tried on a linux centos 7, somehow the ClickRepair RT 1.4.3 was able to recognize audio in/out of 24 bit/96khz, but it mal-functions,
    that is, the original sound goes through OK. Repair sound goes through with original + LOUD clicks and pops( this seems more than the existing sound), master volume control bar does not seem to get effective, Removed seems like the LOUD ones in the repair stream. Overall, it seems unusable either.

Now I'm finally trying to test a mac since I heard mac can handle 24/96. Maybe buy a used Mac mini.
    Since you seems to be OK with Mac. Would you share some details? although you may be using 16bit/96khz, but I ask anyway.
    1. bit depth, sampling you are using in the in/out stream
    2. which mac HW, which OS, clickrepair RT
    3. actually, looking at your external audio device
    Behringer U-Control UCA202, it seems not being able to handle 24/96 . :(
    4. if i use Mac microphone or line input and headphone out, would it be possible to have 24/96 khz sound stream?

thank you
    Jong

16. STRYPER777

STRYPER777 New Member

Hello, I've succeed to find an old version, that work on my windows computer. It's really good, but I can't find where to buy the licence. No answers from the owner, as well, the website seems to be down.... Any idea ?

17. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

ClickRepair RT is no longer supported by the author of the program, as of 2016.

And recently, we heard that author has been ill, and may not be able to return to development of the regular, current edition of CR.

A sad story all the way around...

- Kevin

Grant likes this.
  18. STRYPER777

STRYPER777 New Member

So no way to buy somehow a licence ? I've some days left, and I'm very sad as it was THE solution for me (can't afford a SweetVinyl Sugar box way too expensive...)

19. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

It doesn't look like it, unfortunately.

- Kevin

20. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

44 is not bad at all. I cant even get above 20 right now. Its below the 40s or 35 that you get serious static issues. Around 50% is perfect.

rcsrich likes this.
  21. Thomas Stout

Thomas Stout Forum Resident

I'm a Mac user and just upgraded to the new M1 processor. So now I need to figure out how to make ClickRepair work on the new Mac. I know I need to install Java but not sure what else to do in order to get the dialogue box to show. Have anyone done this? I'd like to continue using CR and realize there is no support from the developer. I'd appreciate any help.

22. Boggmeister

Boggmeister Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to run click repair RT on a PC lately? I have a registered copy (I paid for a license years ago). The newer versions of Java have broken RT. The regular CR still works fine. I removed all of my java and did a clean install of java re versions 1.5 but the program will not run. I tried java re 1.6 also to no avail.

Does anybody know the secret to getting Click Repair RT to run?

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Boggmeister

Bump... Does anybody know which version of Java Runtime Click Repair RT for windows requires? I can not get it to run .

24. Boggmeister

Bump... Does anybody know which version of Java Runtime Click Repair RT for windows requires? I can not get it to run .