Opinions on Discogs as a source for CD's?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jmm55, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmm55

jmm55 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I placed my first order through Discogs (Jimi Plays Monterey on CD) about two weeks ago, and the order still hasn't arrived. I contacted the seller once a few days ago to give him a heads up, but he seemed confident it was just slow. It was to ship from within Canada, so it should have been here in seven days max. I'm about to contact the seller again but thought I'd ask if others have had success ordering through Discogs. Any opinions on the site in general? Anyone ever have problems with an order?

2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I have bought a lot on discogs and usually it has gone well. Occasionally you get a bad seller or a poor communicator, but I haven't had too many issues buying CDs on there at all.

3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I've only got one order under my belt and have one on the way, but so far no issues. Not sure about things in the Great White North, but the USPS quick all kinds of messed up. I say give the seller the benefit of the doubt and sit tight a bit longer. Is there tracking of any kind for the package?

4. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Always received orders.

It's mostly a good reference source for info. Usually find elsewhere for less. Like any used record site it is smart to assume condition is overrated, so Near Mint is Very Good, etc. Mint is mint, so attack seller if it isn't.

Mail is slow now, never hurts to contact seller. If they have good feedback score you will get your order.

My only complaint is the accept cookies popup every page.

I like that it is mostly personal collections and business among real people. Recently had a great experience with the "labels" page - contacting a label in France directly, Magic Records (fantastic vintage reissue boutique), and the fellow found a record left over that was out of print and astronomical cost, hundreds, on Amazon and ebay, sold to me at cost, sent with tracking. Would never have happened on any other site.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Can you check the tracking number?

6. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I've had great luck with them. I don't hesitate to order from those with good reviews. The mail turned excruciatingly slow recently. Many of my checks for bills sent over two weeks ago still are not there.

7. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Canada Post is really, really slow sometimes. Keep that in mind.

I’ve never had a problem buying or selling on Discogs, but it’s only been a few things.

Dave and Colocally like this.
  8. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

I agree that something's going on with the mail in general lately. (I'm in the U.S.) I've normally gotten things lightening fast from Amazon, but nowadays a two week wait is not that unusual. The pandemic has brought a lot more people to do online shopping rather than venturing out to stores, maybe the crush is overtaking the system a bit.

Have only tried Discogs once, around two years ago. Had no problems, wouldn't hesitate to use again if they had something I was chasing down.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

CDs are a lot less hazardous purchase than an LP. And Discogs is much more thorough about particular editions/pressings than eBay.

10. Cosmicott

Cosmicott Forum Resident

A+++ no problems - Just remember, shipping times vary depending on who you buy from etc...

11. TheOtherDude

TheOtherDude Forum Resident

Bought tons on Discogs, CDs and LPs mostly. Haven't had any problems except the occasional seller who is a bit too forgiving with their grading.

12. blewmaearsout

blewmaearsout Forum Resident

Do keep in mind that the major sorting centre at Gateway has been hit hard by Covid, so things are backed up.

As for Discogs vendors, I've only ever had one order vanish into the mist.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. CHIP72

CHIP72 Forum Resident

I've bought a couple CDs on Discogs since last fall, one that I ordered only two weeks ago (and received just over a week later from Denmark), and didn't have any issues with either order.

Ironically, I just placed my third Discogs CD order earlier today (Monday), again for a CD being shipped from Europe. Based on comments provided with the listing by the seller, I expect that CD will take longer to receive, but that's OK as long as I get it in say 3 weeks.

14. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Discogs has pretty much been my go to place to purchase specific cds and after 8 years of purchases I’ve had one instance where Discogs had to step in and resolve an issue and two cases of the wrong version of a cd being sent. All have been resolved with a minimum of fuss. Mail in the world of COVID is kind of cards up in the air. Give it what you feel is an appropriate amount of time and contact the seller again.

15. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Depends on the shipping method used and where it was shipped from, but it could take longer than 3 weeks.

16. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Ordered close to 300 times in the last 10 years...1 bad experience:)

17. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I've made a couple hundred purchases from Discogs and I'm not sure if I've ever had an item fail to arrive. My most common problem has been sellers listing items but then realizing they don't actually have them anymore.

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My cd's from Germany have been taking 6 weeks to arrive. One LP took 12 weeks.

19. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I got to admit, I thought this Discogs was strictly for reference purposes only. I had no idea you could order from them.

20. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Discogs is great, especially for getting the correct issue if a particular cd or whatever. And I've used it to catalogue my collection. Great for insurance purposes.

George P, OptimisticGoat and Purple like this.
  21. jmm55

Thanks for all the replies, based on which I'll sit tight. To those who mentioned tracking I'm pretty sure the service the seller used does not include tracking but I'll inquire in a few days.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  22. jmm55

I thought the same thing for the longest time. The website could perhaps use some modernizing.

yesstiles likes this.
  23. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

They do have an app but I found it a lot less user friendly than the plain old internet site for shopping. Plus the website would provide YT links so you can check out a track or two of an album before purchasing.

24. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

What he said. Site goal of correctly identifying releases leads to lower incidence of problems than on ebay - even if execution isn't always consistent. The few disappointments are usually quickly resolved.

25. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

If you are aiming for a particular pressing or a specific matrix code, it is recommended to ask the seller first if they can confirm it. Not every seller is careful about the exact release.

jmm55, bug2362 and Dave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.